Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Surge protectors

Started by beanie,

Previous topic - Next topic

beanie

I know the title should answer my question but here it is:  I live in an area that was once considered the "country" now we have subdivisions popping up everywhere and the strain it is putting on the electric companies grid is driving me crazy.  We get so many power surges.  I will be in the middle of running an auto and get one of these surges and poof- there goes everything.  I know this can't be good for my computer either.  My question is - do these surge protectors stop this outtage of my computer (which only happens for a brief second) or do they just protect the computer from being zapped.  Thank you for your help.   Also any suggestions on the best surge protector for home use would be helpful.

Jeffer

Surge protectors do just that, Protect against surges. They won't keep your computer going if you have a brief power loss.

With your situation, you might want to spend a few more bucks and get a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that will protect your computer against momentary power loss. Most have software that will safely shut down your computer in case of a longer outage. 

I don't know if there is a preferred brand. APC and Belkin are two of the well known ones. You'll end up spending about $100 for it, but if your power  is as bad as you say, it will be well worth it.

beanie

Thanks so much Jeffer, being that I am not totally computer savvey I really didnt know what I should do except complain to the power company about the loss in power but of coarse they could care less about doing what they should do and that is update their grids.  Until then I will do as you suggest.  Thanks again!!

beanie

Living in Florida I still see those blackouts during hurricane season.  So thanks for the information, I will definitely be checking into a UPS for my computer - it would be well worth it to me.  Thanks again. O0

Betty Boop

i can tell you from personal experience that if you are running a P4 computer a UPS is a must...they are very sensitive to any kind of spikes on the line...i lost a motherboard from a spike and i had a surge protector...i have owned a UPS since that time and am truly amazed how many times the spikes come and go on the lines and I live in Phoenix...it was well worth the 100.00 i spent and that was for an APC 8 outlet one...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview