Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

dynamic ip's vs. static ip's

Started by evilone373,

Previous topic - Next topic

evilone373

was just wanting some input
i have comcast cable (fast) which is dynamic although my ip has has not changed in over 4 months.
i prefered to get this over sbc(static) because comcast pushed the "great" benefits of dynamic addressing.
i pay $58 a month for internet service and the reason i posted this is sbc is offering their dsl in my area for $25 a month.now i hear static is the way to go although i dont like the idea of having a "set" ip.
any input from anyone appreciated,i am pretty mad at comcast because they have not delivered on their end of changing my ip (and yes i release my ip before a refresh and shut everything down overnight)

DEBKARLAR

$58 a month ouch! I pay 39.95 per month with my cable ISP.  personally I couldn't care less if my ip changes or not. I'm very happy with my internet service (fast is very important to me)
I'd assume you've contacted Comcast about your feeling. What have they said to you about inquires. any changes in an ip addy would be subtle like
xxx.xxx.xxx.001-xxx.xxx.xxx.004

ronandamee1

Comcast is only $60 if you don't have cable tv thru them. Its $40 if you also subscribe to cable tv. I had earthlink dsl for a while before switching to comcast. It went down daily, I would have to reset the box twice a day. I have not had a single problem with comcast. Definitely call them about the ip thing, they have great customer service.

fatkid

I don't much care for Comcast cable tv... More of a DirectTV man myself... But as far as broadband internet goes I love my comcast cable... Just wish my upload wasn't capped at 35kbs... My downloads are at 400kbs now I think... I never had many problems when I had BellSouth DLS though either... Unless you are hosting some kind of web server or whatnot there really isn't a benifit or dissadvantage to static/dynamic... I like the dynamic though because if I ever get banned from a game server or something like that as soon as my IP changes then I'm able to start playing on that server all over again...

evilone373

yes i have cable tv. thru comcast also so i get $10 off a month by having both services,my speeds are great

thanks for the reply's i will call comcast again and TRY TO GET SOMETHING DONE.

may check out ghost surf or anonymizer see what there like,if comcast wont change my ip like advertised

fatkid

If you want to hide on your computer you probably want find sites that have big proxy server lists... Then you just set up your browser to go through that proxy server and no one will ever find you IP (well as long as you can disable your java and active X controls; which is easy enough to do. :)

Hooper2092

I Use GhostSurfPro it works well- its a program that lets me surf anonymously through a world network of hubs, as well as serving as a good pop up clocker, blocks annoying banner adds, keeps my history wiped out,  finds and disable's spyware and still lets me use the program that the spyware came with (p2p)  and when I go to a site it tells me who the site belongs to and even lets me grab other IPs of users in various chat forums. I am not really a big computer person, so it does it all for me without having to know a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo.

fatkid

I R 1337

Unplug your modem and turn it back on while your PC is on.... that what changes my IP

evilone373

ive tried unplugging my modem,ive tried releasing;renewing,leaving it off overnight...however there same response from comcast is always try leaving it off a week  ??? sounds stupid to me...and they will not change it for me..

went and bought ghostsurfpro hooper not a bad price $15 after a $10 rebate .my question now is;
i use a wireless router with a desktop and laptop ...linksys says they have a built in firewall within my router
i would be putting ghostsurf onto my desktop which already has mcafee security center...is the routers firewall enough of a deterrent that i could remove the mcafee so i can surf using the ghostsurf? i have allowed access to it but i still get page not found unless i disable that firewall...

so do you all think a routers firewall would be enough?

Hooper2092

My internet runs very quickly still with it. I am on wireless roadrunner so i cant imagine it being any faster than it is now; doesnt really lag up my surf time at all- thought I generally only jump 8 hubs or so instead of a billion and 1 unless im doing something i shouldnt be  :P

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview