Bejeweled Stars : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Daily Sudoku : Score 60000 points this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Addiction Solitaire HD : Win 28 games this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

squirrels

Started by bobby,

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby

does anyone know how to keep squirrels from eating sunflowers they have ate almost everyone planted >:(

Homer

Feed them peanuts? Don't really know but if they had another food source they might leave the flowers alone. ;)

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

bobby

Barbara

Barbara

Quote from: bobby on September 05, 2005, 07:00:02 PM
they don't seem intimidated by bb guns
You shoot at squirrels?  I have pet squirrels and I am offended by this.

bobby

there is always bread and crackers in the yard and the squrrels always eat them but they still go for the sunflowers

Homer

Don't shoot them! They're just trying to survive. You could be arrested for animal cruelty if caught.  :-\

Barbara

You planted a food source outside where wild animals live.  It is just natural for them to eat what is made available to them.

Homer

Looked this up on the internet.

What do squirrels eat?

Most squirrels eat nuts, seeds, grain, and fruit.   By far their favorite food would be nuts, followed by sunflower seeds.   Urban squirrel have adapted to eat just about anything,  including pizza,  luncheon meats and all forms of snack foods. Squirrels have been known to eat bird eggs,  but this is a last resort.  When natural food is scarce, they will eat anything they can find.

bobby

Quote from: Homer on September 05, 2005, 07:03:14 PM

Don't shoot them! They're just trying to survive. You could be arrested for animal cruelty if caught.  :-\

i'm not the one messing with them the neighbors are always messing with them they try to hit them with rocks and shoot them with bb guns but when they mess with them more just come

Betty Boop

start your sunflowers in pots inside the house where they can get direct sunlight and then once they come up a bit transplant them to the yard...........problem solved

Homer

Sounds like a new Fox show....When Squirrels Attack!  :P

Barbara

Charisma likes to watch the squirrels have their squirrel chow.
If your neighbors are shooting in the air with a bb gun then the police would take care of that.  If your neighbors are abusing animals then the SPCA will take care of that.
Betty, squirrels eat the sunflower seeds out of the sunflowers.  They are located in the middle and they just splice them open.

bobby

the sunflowers are already fully grown they always climb up to the top and chew off the flower part
Quote from: bettyboop1958 on September 05, 2005, 07:09:54 PM
start your sunflowers in pots inside the house where they can get direct sunlight and then once they come up a bit transplant them to the yard...........problem solved

Betty Boop

well this is how my ex roomie got hers started..... we had the bird problem here.....of course we dont have many squirrels in Phoenix either...cant remember the last time i saw one

ok gotcha.....dont think you will be able to stop them.......

bobby

i just figured out why they are going after my sunflowers, it's because the people 3 doors down didn't grow their watermelon things thats why they are going after them this year and didn't last year

avs1roy33

If the sunflowers aren't too tall, you could put some sort of netting over them. Thats what I do with my strawberries and raspberries to keep the birds away.

Homer

Quote from: bobby on September 05, 2005, 07:15:47 PM
i just figured out why they are going after my sunflowers, it's because the people 3 doors down didn't grow their watermelon things thats why they are going after them this year and didn't last year

I know it's too late for this year but maybe plant a few melons next year and they may leave the sunflowers alone but like that article I posted said they tend to go for the nuts first and then the sunflowers.

Capt. Morgan

Try crushed red pepper or cayene pepper.
Birds cannot sense the hot so I mix some in the bird seed to keep the squirels off the bird feeder.
Maybe sprinkle some red or cayene pepper on some of the sunflowers, might give them the mouthful to stay away.

Barbara

That is so sweet Mike.  I like that idea.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview