PlayBuddy
July 13, 2024, 01:23:21 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Tri-Peaks Solitaire HD : Win 30 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Garden Blast : Use 80 disco balls or disco ball power up combos this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

voip question

Started by Country Lady,

Previous topic - Next topic

Country Lady

Does anyone on here use that?
I just bought and account with Vontage and was wondering if anyone has used this and what they think of it.
I am waiting for them to set up their end and take care of my sign up error.  I guess it was a case of I should have read the fine print before entering the mac number.  It was case sensitive and I didn't do that, so I wait for them to fix it.

Barbara

He also keeps a backup cell phone handy to call and snicker at me when he gets a badge before me, which is a daily occurrence.

PogoNutz

Quote from: maxraven on September 11, 2005, 12:53:20 AM
The biggest problem with VoIP is dialing 911 in case of an emergency...the computer cannot identify where you are calling from in a hurry like a regular telephone does for a real 911 operator. There is also the fact that if you computer crashes or goes down for any reason so does your telephone service...the same applies if your Internet Provider (IP) shuts down for any reason, including maintenance. I'd keep a backup cellphone handy for problems such as these.

The backup cellphone is a great idea.  Its my understanding that even if you don't have a service plan, they have to put through 911 calls.

sleauxmeaux

Actually, whether or not your computer is running has nothing to do with Vonage if you attach it to a router. (I've been using it for 2 years like this and can verify this as it's not attached to any of the PC's on the network.)

But, if your ISP goes down, then yes. No phone service.

They're also working on getting E911 in most major markets. :)

smiles29

i too have voip.  where i am if u dial 911 you get an operator and u tell them ur location and they put u thru to your local 911 service.

Homer

That's not good. What if your incapacitated and unable to tell them?  :-\

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

smiles29

i dont know homer, i just dont know.   :'(

what i do know is that it is a lot cheaper than regular phone service though. 

Homer

I hear ya. I just think there should be a better way for them to identify where you are without you having to tell them.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

smiles29

i agree too.  that is my only problem with it.  but not really lol, its not like i use the 911 service.  other than that, i have no problems with my voip.

Country Lady

Thanks for the input.  We are on our 30 day free trial.  My husband is the only one that uses long distant any way, but the calling card is getting spendy.  He really likes to talk.  I use the computer and email, rarely use the phone.
They had me sign up for the 911 thing.  Hopefully I won't ever have to use it.  Our basic phone service runs around $40.00 a month and it is the only phone service in our area so we are pretty much stuck with it.  Cell phones work here sometimes and sometimes not. (too many mountains I guess)  Live in southern Oregon.  OMG, if he gets a cell for back up :-[ I'll have to do those badges also  >:D
Country Lady

nanners

I have been using Vonage for about 6 months now. You do know you have to click and set up your address with 911 don't you? Its not automatic. I have my phone calls forwarded to my cell when i'm away...and thank god i did...I got a VERY important call about my diabetes that i would have not gotten until i got  home....THANK YOU Vonage. I love it. O0

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview