PlayBuddy
September 10, 2024, 07:26:27 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Merge Academy : Complete 20 orders this week! [Download Cheat]
Snowbird Solitaire : Make 260 streaks this week! [Download Cheat]
Payday Freecell HD : Place 300 cards in the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Badge Hog Menu

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Split Pea and Badge Hog Soup

1 pound dried split peas
1 Badge Hog (aka....Ham Hock)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 pound Smithfield Badge Hog (Ham), chopped
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
8 cups water
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
Parmesan Truffled Potato Chips, recipe follows

Place the peas in a large pot or bowl, cover with water by 2 inches and soak 8 hours or overnight. Drain the peas and set aside.
Score the Badge Hog. Place in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and cook, stirring, until just soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Add the Badge Hog and Smithfield Badge Hog and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown. Add the drained peas, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes, and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add 8 cups of water, the bay leaf and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peas are tender, about 1 hour. (Add more water as needed, if the soup becomes too thick or dry.)
Remove the bay leaf and discard. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and serve immediately with Parmesan Truffled Chips on top.

Parmesan Truffled Potato Chips:
2 pounds red bliss potatoes, scrubbed well and patted dry, skins left on
4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon truffle oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Using a mandolin or very sharp, heavy knife, slice the potatoes into rounds as thin as possible, and place in a large bowl of water to prevent discoloration.
Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot to between 340 and 350 degrees F.
Pat the potatoes completely dry. Add to the oil in batches and cook until golden brown, stirring with a long handled spoon to turn and cook evenly, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and place in a large bowl. Toss with the cheese, truffle oil, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.

Recipes courtesy of Emeril "Pork Fat Rules" Lagasse  O0

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

PogoNutz

Wow Homer, that actually looks good.  The only problem I have is where it calls for 2 teaspoons fresh thyme.  I don't have any, can I borrow some from ya?

Barbara

This is hysterically funny!  Remember to save the leftovers to make scrapple.

Here's my recipe for SLOW ROASTED PORK COLD SHOULDER.  It is the perfect comfort food after a public hoofing and "consideration" rejection.  By the way, the Badge Hog said that if I win the Powerball drawing tonight, 205 million that he will consider marrying me even more seriously.  Sniff, what a guy!

Slow Roasted Pork "Cold Shoulder"

One (3 1/2) pound pork shoulder, boned and tied
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 leek, white and pale green part only, cut into large dice
2 carrots, cut into large dice
2 stalks celery, cut into large dice
12 peeled garlic cloves
6 peeled shallots
2 sprigs fresh thyme
5 sprigs parsley
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup ruby port
1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
3 quarts veal or chicken stock, or canned beef broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Season the pork shoulder with salt and pepper.
In a Dutch oven or casserole set over moderately high heat, heat the oil until hot. Add the pork and brown on all sides. Transfer pork to a platter and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan. Add leek, carrots and celery stalks to pan and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add garlic cloves, shallots, thyme, parsley and salt and pepper and cook the vegetables until golden. Transfer vegetables to platter. Deglaze pan with balsamic vinegar and reduce by 2/3rds. Add port and cabernet and reduce by half. Return pork and vegetables to pan, add stock and tomato paste and bring to a boil on top of the stove. Cover pan with foil and lid and transfer pan to a preheated 350 degree oven. Cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until very tender. Remove pork from oven, remove lid and loosen foil. Let cool for 1 hour in cooking liquid at room temperature or in refrigerator overnight.
Discard all fat from surface and transfer pork to another pan. Strain cooking liquid and add enough to just cover pork. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until heated through.
Meanwhile, reduce remaining cooking liquid over high heat until liquid is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Cut pork into 1 1/2-inch thick slices. Swirl butter into sauce.

Homer

Quote from: Mr. Bill on October 08, 2005, 09:44:17 AM
Wow Homer, that actually looks good.  The only problem I have is where it calls for 2 teaspoons fresh thyme.  I don't have any, can I borrow some from ya?

Sorry, my thyme is valuable.  :P

PogoNutz

Quote from: Barbara on October 08, 2005, 09:50:03 AM
 It is the perfect comfort food after a public hoofing and "consideration" rejection.  By the way, the Badge Hog said that if I win the Powerball drawing tonight, 205 million that he will consider marrying me even more seriously.  Sniff, what a guy!

LOL, see, and you thought he wasn't taking it seriously :)

PogoNutz

Quote from: Homer on October 08, 2005, 09:56:59 AM

Well I guess that just proves the old saying...you can't go living on borrowed thyme.  :)

Barbara

Quote from: Homer on October 08, 2005, 09:56:59 AM

Wait, wait, thyme out!  Homer, play nicely and share.

helpmewin

or "thyme" heals all wounds....... 8)

PogoNutz

Homer decided to share after all.  But he did it by throwing the whole bottle at me.

I guess thyme really does fly when you're having fun.

Homer

Quote from: Barbara on October 08, 2005, 09:59:17 AM
Wait, wait, thyme out!  Homer, play nicely and share.

Why do you pick on me all the thyme?  :P

PogoNutz

I didn't think I did....but I guess thyme will tell. ;)

Betty Boop

if i could save thyme in a bottle...........

Barbara

Yes, you have to save it in a bottle, duh?  I just couldn't imagine having that much thyme on my hands.

Homer

Reminds me of the Styx song... "Too Much Thyme On My Hands"

Barbara

I love Styx.  Renegade is driving music, uh huh!

PogoNutz

Ok, lets see now.  Looking through my book, "101 UnThymeless Cliches, Sayings, Songs, and Stories: All Thyme, All the Thyme, Thyme After Thyme", hummmm, Homer threw his bottle of thyme at me, it is now next to me....oh yes:

Thyme is on my side (yes it is)

fauna

Quote from: Barbara on October 08, 2005, 09:50:03 AM

Here's my recipe for SLOW ROASTED PORK COLD SHOULDER.  It is the perfect comfort food after a public hoofing and "consideration" rejection.  By the way, the Badge Hog said that if I win the Powerball drawing tonight, 205 million that he will consider marrying me even more seriously.  Sniff, what a guy!
Ha Ha I'd Marry ya if you won the powerball too ! too funny

nanners

Dream on.....like that will ever happen....lol ::)

StormShadow

pogo doesn't have the thyme to let us get caught up on badges...........or they would have to pay their snitches overthyme

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview