PlayBuddy
September 22, 2024, 01:28:21 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

who reviews this stuff?

Started by bobby,

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby

October 13, 2005 - EA Mobile's success with its first three Pogo.com offerings has prompted the firm to expand the library this fall season with two additional titles, one being Harvest Mania. Users of the popular PC Pogo portal are undoubtedly familiar with the game, as Harvest Mania racks up almost 600,000 unique players a month. The decision to port it to handsets was nothing short of obvious, and in my play time with the mobile edition, I cannot understand why this wasn't among the first batch. Even in preview form, this is an immensely playable puzzler with cutie-poo graphics, devilish mechanics, and offers plenty of chances to pad your Pogo wallet with hard-earned tokens.

The game field is a garden patch, divided up into a neat grid. The game begins with the start of a season, and as the season progresses, vegetable grow from the soil. You must position these vegetables into groups of four or more so when harvest time comes around, you can rack up bonuses for each sown group of vegetables. It's simple to get started, thanks to the easy first season, but as you dive deeper into Harvest Mania, you must contend with rocks and gophers, as well as a bitter frost that can disrupt the harvest bounty.

There are multiple seasons within Harvest Mania, so you see different veggies as you play. The veggies all look like little Kewpie dolls dressed up in Fruit of the Loom suits. This is the first time in a long while that I saw a carrot top on my screen and didn't want to gouge my eyes out.

Harvest Mania links up with the Pogo service so you can stash away earned tokens. These tokens can be redeemed for entries to daily, weekly, and monthly drawings. And mobile Harvest Mania players can pick up exclusive badges to show off on their Pogo accounts. Harvest Mania will ship before the end of the year, so be sure to check back for a full review in the coming weeks.

If you're interested in this game, be sure to add it to your wishlist. You can keep notes, rank games, get updates by email, and more.

October 13, 2005 - Wordies are the target audience for EA Mobile's next Pogo game for cellphones: Word Whomp. The literal vocabulary building game asks player to form as many three- to seven-letter words out of a collection of seven letters given at the beginning of a round. By lining up the letter tiles, then pressing a designated enter key, you help an on-screen gopher dig ever closer to his turnip prize.

That's basically the essence of Word Whomp, which plays an awful lot like Gameloft's 1000 Words, which I gave a favorable review to earlier this summer. The game changes things up from time to time, asking for specific goals during rounds, so it's not always just trying to pry as many words possible from the letter racks. With each successfully entered word (and there is an onboard dictionary to keep you honest), you earn tokens which can be used to enter Pogo contests.

Your initial Word Whomp download comes with 100 puzzles -- enough to keep you busy for some time. But once you plow through all 100, you can easily download a new batch of puzzles and keep on keepin' on.

Word Whomp has a cute visual interface. Instead of just plain tiles, the wooden letters are held up by a cast of gophers. When you select a letter, a hammer bonks the gopher ont he head, forcing him up to the area of the screen where you try to form a word.

Word Whomp will be out in the coming months, so look for a full review of this Pogo game here very soon.

pogo's latest news     600,000 players a month is like qwerty in a week

pogohatesme

lol better yet what freakin website would post stuff like that lol...I hate both of those games on the computer lol..not even a gun to my head could possess me to put them on my phone lol

PogoNutz

ummmm, how about the thought of another badge (or 10)?    :)

pogohatesme

:-\  oh tempted me for a minute...but no more than that...just can't bring myself to do it lol

patandmegan

I think the mobile badges are well done - but I don't have Verizon.  If someone has 2 accounts I'll be glad to take the extra badges off your hands though!!  :D

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview