Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Home Heating Costs

Started by Snarechick,

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarechick

I was just curious if anyone has already had to fill up on natural gas or oil this fall.  I know last year the propane dealers around here would only fill your tank 50% unless you specified otherwise because of the high cost.  For me to fill the propane tank 50% last year was about $480.00 here in mid-Michigan...I'm nervous about this winter.  Strapped for cash as it is, I'm refusing to turn the heater on until it snows.  It's been in the upper 30's-50's at night the past two weeks, my house is drafty, and I've pilled on the blankets.  I still have half a tank from this spring's fill.

Anyone else out there worried about heating costs this winter?

Roseybud333

I'm in the U.P. of michigan and I'm scared to death. I had my daughter August 1st and I'm not back to work yet and I also have a 4 year old and a hubby who can't stand to be cold so we have had to turn the heat on. You have to be a millionaire to stay warm I guess LOL

winterangel

I'm in the U.P. too and I dread the wind that will be coming off of Lake Superior this winter.  My poor husband is freezing his butt off because I don't want the thermostat above 60.  I don't even want to see our first gas bill after the first blizzard.

beanie

I'm dreading my electric bill for trying to stay cool- boy it is hot, hot, hot here in Florida- my bill was $300 last month alone.  Stay warm hon.  - wish you could be down here with us for the winter we never go lower than 30 degrees but even that is too cold for my mango trees.

beanie

I am so sorry hon - that really breaks my heart  :'(,  I pray your winter won't be a rough one,  I can imagine the older folks who live only on a fixed income will be also tragically affected.   Makes me so sad.

Snarechick

I really hate to think about the elderly when it comes to things like that, it is just aweful.

As for you yoopers- where are you at?  I live in Owosso (between Lansing and Flint) but I spend a lot of time up in Gaylord (family has a resort membership, and property on Otsego Lake [just started building on it after 10 years, lol]).  I don't get up to the UP that often anymore, it's beautiful up there all year long.  The farthest north I venture these days, besides Gaylord and Petosky, is Mackinaw Island.

Anywho, hello to my Michigan neighbors. :)

sleauxmeaux

We're electric here. Our highest bill was $640 last winter.. I can only imagine what it's going to be this year.

nanners

I think everyone is in the same boat...here in PA fuel oil is 2.50 a gal...and us on social security its going to be a tough winter...just pray it don't get bitterly cold...altho we're not to old to snuggle.....LOL.... ;)

bratsbemykids

my gas bill thru the summer months is always 30 and that is just for running the water heater, so last month it should have been 30 still cause we havent run the heat yet and it went up to 43, so a jump of 13 already....guess we are in for wearing sweats all winter in the house.....

IndianLover

I locked in the price of 2.03 per gallon for propane, but i keeping my fingers crossed i don't use more than the 800 gallons that i will be getting thru the winter. I only use it for heating and stove but for us it's suppose to be one heck of a winter  :'(

Notquitecherry

I feel for ya I'm in KY and we have a 300 gallaon propane tank whick runs our stove hot water heater and out fireplace sow we have to fill it up atleast 5 times and year.  We are on 20% now whick is when u are supposed to call and order it but im really fearing to cause not sure what the cost will be.  I want hubby to put in a wood burning fireplace it would be so much cheaper that way.

helpmewin

:'(          we just got propane last week.  The price last time was $2.46...this time it was $2.83!  We use this for cooking and hot water as we have oil heat.....which when the tank got filled up the last time that was at $2.49....and people wonder why I am still working!   :P

I really feel for the people who are on fixed incomes, and also the homeless folks when it gets so cold outside...its a shame.

pogohatesme

My mom and dad are in the same boat...fixed income...high cost of propane gas....big drafty house...luckly though when they put their new furnance in a few years ago my dad kept the wood burning stove that was in the house...he's already stock-piling fire wood becuase it's cheaper and heats house better than the furnace does

sleauxmeaux

I'm on a tight fixed income too. And live with two others on fixed incomes. If you're disabled in this country you have to shack up to survive.

Snarechick

QuoteIf you're disabled in this country you have to shack up to survive.

That's no joke.  My mother is disabled due to a car accident (shattered her L1 and became a paraplygic) and had to retire.  Luckily, and just barely as you have seen in the news, she retired from GM before things got pretty ugly for the Michigan Auto Industry.  I thank god for having good insurance through GM or I don't know how we would have survived with her long list of medical problems and my cancer treatments (although I just got the all clear!).  I quit school, teaching for the most part, everything to take care of my mother.  Our income is significantly less than when she was working, even with disability retirement and disability Social Security...it amounts to about a 60% cut in income on her end alone, 80% on mine.

The system is so idiotic that at times it's worse to be disabled than it is to be on welfare (for those who actually need to be- whole 'nother discussion entirely).

My thoughts go out to anyone on fixed incomes, disabled, elderly, layed off, etc this winter.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview