Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Wal-mart problems

Started by Madonna,

Previous topic - Next topic

Juniorverse

I just saw this in an article online today, and I think it pretty much sums it up...

"America's biggest, most powerful corporations are dinosaurs, even when sitting on giant hoards of cash. Remember when Microsoft was a hungry, inventive underdog, beating every time the clumsy, lumbering giants which still dominated the software landscape. Now it is a clumsy, lumbering giant, much worse than even IBM. Tens of millions of lines of code that it boasts inside its operating system is a pitiful argument-they are no more sign of a real innovation than that tens of millions tons of steel was the sign of economic strength of the later-day Soviet Union. Microsoft has barely produced anything remotely innovative in the last ten years (and neither have other behemoths like Intel or Cisco). All it can do is sit on its enormous bag of monopoly money and buy, destroy and stifle any emerging competition. Technology is stagnating in all these fields, irrespective of the ever growing gigahertz and gigabytes of technical specs.

But the "dark satanic mills" of the information revolution was not Microsoft or other software or internet companies. It was the Wal-Mart, and the likes of it, chewing the American backbone, making the new, retail proletariat, pauperizing its small-town communities. It is still aggressive and hungry, getting fatter and plodding ahead. But it is already stagnating in its core, unable to learn any new tricks. It can continue to destroy, but is hardly able to create anything new anymore-just shove larger portions of cheap junk at the consumer in its ever bigger caverns."

Barbara

I don't like Wal Mart.  Is it me, or is that where everyone in America takes their kids there to beat them?

Madonna

Barbara,

It does seem that way about parents taking their kids there to beat them. And the ones who aren't being beaten are running amuck through the store screaming and acting like a bunch of ninnies. If we acted like anything other than perfect ladies and gentleman in a store, we would get our tails tore up (but not in the MIDDLE of the store; momma would wait till she got us home).

On a happier note, I got my refund after I threatened to call home office and report them. I took a small pocket-sized notebook with me and took names, just to get the point across that I meant business. By gravy, when the pen started moving, so did they. Butter could not have melted in their mouths; they were being that cordial!Ahhh, the joy of intimidation and threats...you get so much more out of life...lmaoooooooo. But remember...that's the wal-mart way...NOT.

Chosen

PrincessKate

I'm sure my response won't be all that popular, but I feel it needs to be said. 

As an aforementioned "dumb as a shovel" Walmart employee, I have to say that the problem you ran  into isn't the corporation, but just that particular store.  At my store, we would have taken that bag over to customer service with the time, register #, and date that it was left, to aid in getting it back to you when you called.  (Keep in mind that all frozen/refrigerated items would have been returned to the coolers, and logged in the book.)

But, then again, I'm so "dumb" that I actually leave my register to help the customers load everything in their carts, to make sure that they have everything.  Most customers can't be bothered to check for themselves, though you'd think they would due to the fact it's their money in question.  The only time I won't help a customer get their bags off the carousel is when they come up with the attitude that I'm "dumb as a shovel".  At that point, I do nothing more than what I have to do, which is ring up their merchandise, bag it, take the $$, and be done with it.  At that point, they can fend for themselves. 

There has been lots of bad press about Walmart.  But, I can say that my store happens to be filled with great people.  I had a medical emergency just the other day, and the store manager had the personnel director drive me to the hospital, offer to stay with me, and then take me home to make sure I got there safely.  (I did tell her she didn't need to stay, as I had someone coming to get me.)  She even offered help with the bills and medicine, since I don't have insurance yet.  That takes a certain class of people to make that happen. 

Sorry about the venting, but I was more than a little offended to be placed under such a harsh blanket statement.

Madonna

First off, I did not say that ALL employees were dumb as shovels...I said the vast majority (and this being every wal-mart i have ever been in). Secondly, I REFUSE to apologize, because I have had similiar dealings with EVERY wal-mart I have ever been in. You make it sound like I treat the associates/cashiers with "an attitude", which I do NOT. So this being said, I personally take offense to YOU trying to make me out to be the wrong person. I also worked at wal-mart as an ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER, and if you DIDN'T show proper customer service, regardless of who you were, I personally would have showed you the time clock and how to use it promptly. So don't be jumping down MY throat because I merely stated FACT. Wal-mart has went downhill since Mr. Walton passed away, and just because you have a "holier than though" store, you are one in a million. ENOUGH SAID! >:(. Oh, and by the way...it IS YOUR responsibility to make sure those bags are placed in the cart...customers tend to be busy with a lot on their mind. If you are a cashier and do not do your job thoroughly, which also includes taking care of the CUSTOMER, then why is wal-mart paying you...or better yet, why are CUSTOMERS paying you? Without people like me...you wouldn't be working there anyways. THE CUSTOMERS pay your salary!!!

PrincessKate

I never said that you had the attitude.  I just said that is the only time I won't help someone with their bags.  But, I fear that I might have struck a bit of a nerve with my defense of at least my store, and our service. 

Thank you for shopping at Wal-mart.  Have a great day.   :) O0

Edit to add:  I should have waited for the edit. 

And you are right, the customers pay my salary, and it's rare that I come across one that is deserving of no extra, above and beyond help from me.  And it is equally as rare that I don't help someone with their bags, even if it is just to get them out of my face.  Since you were an assistant manager, it seems that you would remember where you came from, what you worked with, and checked that carousel just as carefully as the cashier would/should have. 

On the beating of the children note.....unfortunately, not enough beat them...lol.  I thnk they bring them to Walmart just to prove to society that counting and timeouts is not an effective punishment.  ;)

Madonna

Well, I do commend your store, but it takes more than you to "strike a nerve" with me. So, if there's anything else I can clarify, just ask and I will reply "HOW may I help you?" :o. And as for me checking the carousel, and so many others like me, that is not my job as a customer...it is YOURS. Like I said, people have lives outside of wal-mart, and you being responsible for the merchandise that is placed on your conveyor belt, bagged by you, and money taken from the customer BY YOU...then that is in all honesty YOUR responsibility. It's called good customer service and being good at your job. The cashier that checked me out wasn't paying attention to me or what she was doing. She was too busy talking to someone about who did what with whom. And don't think she wasn't reported and I called back...she was fired because of this. People like her do not need to be anywhere near a cash register. Anyone could have just walked out with merchandise, and she wouldn't have even noticed. So good riddance to bad rubbish! ::)

Capt. Morgan

Being a union member I should not say what I think about that cheap -O- store. 8)

Madonna

LMAOOOOOOOOO Captain!!! ;D I think I shouldn't have even started this post, but my goodness at the honest replies!!! ;D

Madonna

Princess,
   I apologize for getting all defensive towards you. You sound like a truly honest person and a good associate. You are one of the few that I probably wouldn't have a problem with. And I never meant to imply that you "were dumb as a shovel", it was merely based on the associates/cashiers i have had dealings with. So my deepest apologies to you. ~Madonna~

PrincessKate

Apology accepted.  I do believe that you had every single right to go off about the girl that wasn't paying any attention.  That goes beyond the defense of human error coming into the equation.  I did take the offense about the "vast majority" comment, and you would have when you still worked there.  You should remember that you do tend to get looked down upon by some when you mention that you work for Walmart.  Not all people there have a substandard IQ, as you well know.  I am there because I'm planning on moving out of state within 6 months, and I want to be able to transfer and work, while I look for something better.  Can't beat the insurance...I had lesser insurance than Blue Cross/Blue Shield when I made 3x as much from a job. 

I didn't want this to blow up like it did, I just wanted the other side heard from, as I believe you would have if you were still employed there. 

And yes, our store does rock...lol.  We are the store that people from surrounding towns (even though they have their own Wally's) will drive to for our cleanliness and service. 

foxx

Quote from: PrincessKate on October 20, 2005, 08:31:55 AM

On the beating of the children note.....unfortunately, not enough beat them...lol.  I thnk they bring them to Walmart just to prove to society that counting and timeouts is not an effective punishment.  ;)

OUCH.
Try telling that to the tens of thousands of children who are physically abused by their parents each year. 
not exactly something to "lol" about.

VolsFan

I CANNOT STAND Wal-mart, I've also boycotted them .....It's been over a year since I stepped foot inside one.  If they don't have it at Target, I don't need it. 

Kel

Quote from: pogohatesme on October 18, 2005, 07:25:13 PM
great site!!  I loved reading it...the sad thing is that it isn't just wally-world (our nickname for it) it tons of places around here.  We had a Target and it closed becase Wal-mart and Meijer were doing more business...the Target was small and personal and you could find things....I've got to park 12 miles away just to "run in" to Wal mart to grab a couple things....but I'm with Snare on the fact that I'm on a limited income and wouldn't trade it for anything lol.... for every crapy person they've got...i've got a big smile and a crappy comeback for them lol

Helen

Like everything and everyplace, there is good and bad. Just depends on who you ask!!!

VolsFan

LOL!!!  Wal-mart, The place to shop when you want cheap (as in crappy) merchandise, below standard service, you need to walk ten miles in hideous florescent lighting while listening to screaming kids and watching them run wild.  >:D

Kel

Quote from: Barbara on October 19, 2005, 06:35:59 AM
I don't like Wal Mart.  Is it me, or is that where everyone in America takes their kids there to beat them?

Snarechick

I don't know if cheap necessarily means crappy 100% of the time.

Bought a 200.00 DVD player from your electronics in box clone store and it was a piece of junk.  Had it replaced (warranty) and it fried even quicker.  Went to Wal-Mart, grabbed a cheap 40.00 DVD player and it's lasted me three years now.

Bought a 250.00 surround sound system from the same clone store and it was done in just under a year.  Grabbed a 39.99 surround sound system and it's been golden for two years.

I think it takes a savy consumer to sort through the "Cheap parts, no name company, obvious crap" and "Cheap product, quality parts, quality company".  I mean, why get burned buying something with a higher price tag because that "obviously means it's a better product"- just look at the price.  I'm really picky about how I spend my money these days, so I do my homework before I buy.  I take good care of my stuff, I really don't have the money not to lol.  I think far too many people see the "Blue light special" and a cheap price and take it without really looking it over.  Then they wonder why they bought junk after the fact. ::)

At any rate, I buy what I can afford and from close by.  Gas is too expensive, my wallet is too light, and luckily my Wal-Mart doesn't sound like the black holes that some of you have dealt with.  I think Meijer is more of an issue than Wal-Mart around here.

huggybear

Hubby says NO shopping at walmart.  He doesnt approve of them taking our jobs from the states and having your children work until they cant work no more, plus they always try to cram way to much stuff in the store so its crowded.  And the staff have no training what so ever.  Every walmart ive ever been in has been a very poor experience

Madonna

Just out of curiosity...has anyone heard about the new documentary they made regarding how bad Wal-Mart is? I got an invite to be a seller of the movie, because i went to their website and put my 2 cents worth in....lmaoooooooo. I would like to see it, just to see why wal-mart is trying to boycott it. Anything that's anti-Wal-mart...i'm all for. I use to work for them (USE TO), and i resigned due to the way they were treating the workers. It's a long story, but let's just say overtime and working doubles for insubordinate employees was a big part of it. So all you wal-mart employees out there...may God bless you, or pity you, whichever the case may be.

butch1286

I used to live in shelton and the walmart there sucks too. Nobody knows what they are supposed to be doin and I'm sure most who work their havent gotten past the 4th grade .

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview