Bejeweled Stars : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Daily Sudoku : Score 60000 points this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Addiction Solitaire HD : Win 28 games this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Book Print?

Started by AdDn8187,

Previous topic - Next topic

AdDn8187

Was not really sure how to title this for what I need help with.  I am wanting to put together a memory book for my Parents for Christmas, putting in little things I remember from my childhood on up that they probably dont even know I still remember.  I was just diagnosed this past week with several tumors and now going through all the options, and was laying in bed unable to sleep trying to put all the peices together and thought how great it would be to make such a book for them that they can read and know all the things I appricated from them etc... I guess I always thought maybe I"d get a chance to tell them that after they got "old" guess its a prime example of never put off till tomorrow.  Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites that might make this easier.  I have done a search and seems like I keep hitting dead ends, possibly there is a program out somewhere i could purchase to do this.  I have microsoft office and thought maybe I could do it there.. but I would like a way to print it with pictures and tidbits along with just the remembrence (did that make since?).  I know there are alot of really smart computer wizzes out there so any help would be greatly appricated.  Also have thought about even trying to find a company that could bind the book for me rather than using just an ordinary type folder per se' .  Any ideas would be greatly appriceated.  Thank you so much

Country Lady

I am sure there are programs out there that will do what your talking about.  I use family tree maker and you can print some really great reports from it.  I doubt it would be of much help with what you want to do though.
Have you tried looking for memory book programs?

Snarechick

First- My thoughts and prayers are with you.  You really never know what's going to be thrown at you, and when it's something serious (and you're young) you think it won't happen until late in life.  Who thinks they will have medical problems in their prime?  I was diagnosed with cancer (Thyroid, Stage III) at the age of 20, although they think it had started atleast two years before it was caught.  I just got the all clear from my Oncologists Oct. 6th after three years of radiation and treatment.  Keep your head up high and smile-  There is always someone out there worst off than you, so enjoy even the worst of days and have a laugh!

As for your project- I'm sure there are some more computer savy individuals who could point you towards a program...that's not me, lol.  I did, however, take on a similar type project the year I was diagnosed.  Pictures of my brother and myself that I put together in a book of sorts with random things we remembered about family life and mainly our grandparents.  I went to a couple of craft places (not your every day average craft stores [i.e. Joann Fabrics], but the kind where they offer classes on a whole assortment of craft ideas) to get some advice.  If you could find a place around you like that, they could give you some great ideas and tips...and most have the supplies you need right there.

Country Lady

I just did a quick search and found this software that sounds like it would be great.  

Hewlett Packard Creative Scrapbook Assistant

beanie

My thoughts and prayers are with you both,  you have a terrific outlook and I think it is a terrific idea to try and put together a memory book of sorts.  I started doing something similar, not because of any aliment but just because I lost my dad like 3 yrs ago and my grandmother who lived with me just this July and I found myself with my dad in particular looking for things of his that are hand written.  So, my personal advice because of my loss - I think a personal journal (which I am doing for my daughter and husband - just in case) written with your own little two hands is terrific.  I have read things my dad wrote in his bible and find myself touching his words that he wrote just trying to maybe touch him in a way.  I think they will appreciate something like that much more-  it will show your personality, maybe your spelling flaws which may make them laugh, etc.  Well sorry so long just wanted to share why hand written things are important to me and maybe something for you to think of.  Its usually not the big, neat things that we really appreciate but the small, tender, and personal things that reach the heart.  God bless you hon on your venture and God bless your life.

PogoNutz

AdDn,

This is not what you specifically asked about, but wanted to offer it up anyway.  My sister made my parents a bed spread quilt.  Many of the panes of the quilt were pictures of us kids (young and not so young), our kids and families, pictures of my parents when they were young, letters from us to them, and just all kinds of things.  My sister had taken these things, scanned them and then printed them out on fabric then had them made up into the quilt.  I believe she did it all hereself although I haven't an idea in the world how she did it.  While not a book, it still tells the story of love in pictures and words.  If this is something that interests you (or you just want to know more about it) let me know and I'll ask her for the information on how she did it and get it to you.

Bill

AdDn8187

Thank you all for such wonderful ideas,  Snarechick I am so happy for your clean bill of health and the releif you must have.  I am keeping my Faith and keeping my smile and my chin up.  I think often of all those worse off and of the younger ones and the children who never had a chance at life, so I am fortunate.  I have a wonderful family and a husband who is the most fantastic man in the world so I have alot of strenght around me.  I love your idea of the journal Beanie plus as an added bonus I could take the journal to a favorite place and sit and relax and put my own mind at peace with the memories as well without interuptions or the sounds of the phone or the click click click of the keyboard, I may have to really put some thought in that idea.  Mr. Bill I love the quilt idea, as a matter of fact I love it so much I made them one last year for their 40th wedding anniversary.  It is totally awsome if i do say so myself.  They are not too difficult just as you said, you just scan the pics and then they make a special paper you can print them on to iron the pic onto the quilt square.  I chose a wedding photo of them for the center and then pics of us kids around it and then the grandkids then great grandkids and just for kicks around the edges I put scans of some of the old "love letters" I came across while looking through an old photo album of my moms.  They loved it.  Thanks again for the suggestions they are all great..

janet

Hi Sweetie, you have all of our prayers.  If you look in the yellow pages of the phone book there is probably a place where you live that does scrap books.  If you can't find one, call a stationary store and ask them.  WalMart or any craft store like Ben Franklin also has supplies.  Ben Franklin can probably show you how. They always give classes on how to put them together.  If you have a scanner you can scan anything in you want and print it out also and go into paint to edit it.  It is really pretty easy to learn.  If you can't figure it out, I know that Homer can edit pretty much anything you need done.  If not, I will be glad to help you there.  

Please let us know if there is anything else that we can do to help you.  How old are you?

AdDn8187

Thank you Janetdebra, I am sitting here thinking a visit to hobby lobby or Michaels might be well worth the trip.  I can still do in my own handwriting and just bind it in.  I just turned 44 this month.  Thank you for the offer of any help and the Prayers.  Prayers are always welcome as I have seen what the power of Prayer can do.

PogoNutz

I'm glad you parents liked the spread you gave them for their anniversary.  My sister did hers for my parents 50th anniversary.  Course Mom cried and Dad just grinned and shook his head. 

Sounds like you found some other ideas that might work for you.  Best of luck with it and let us know how you decide. 

janet

You are very welcome.  Don't forget about transfer paper.  I think that transfer's an image on to cloth.  Then you could cover your book with that transfer. You can put a little padding in it and run some kind of ruffle or piping around the edge. Make the book soft and cushy. If you go to a copy center, I think you will find a lot of things they can do for you there too. You are going to do such a wonderful job on your Memory Book.  One thing that is really striking is black and white prints of your color images.  They do those for only a few cents a copy at Office Max. (I think they do albums there too) I did a cologe of my daughter, me, mother and grandmother, put it in a black frame and gave it to every one.  They loved it.  Now that would be an easy one. You can spray paint your frame any color you want it.  Please remember to let us know how things are going for you, both health and memory book wise.  God bless your heart for you thoughtfullness.

Janet

shasta

I'm sorry for what you are having to go through and my prayers are with you and your family.

Maybe you've heard of the Creative Memories. You can put albums together with pictures and add a story with each picture. My children love to look through these time and time again, remembering the good times. They love all the little sayings and comments I put with each one. I have made one for each of my family members.

If you haven't heard of them you can look in the phone book for Creative Memories and they should have a number to call and someone will contact you. They will even show you how to make the pages.

This may not be exactly what your looking for but I hope it can help you.

Good luck to you in your mission and recovery.

Shasta

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview