PlayBuddy
August 08, 2024, 07:24:39 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Trizzle HD : Match 1400 yellow dolls this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Safari HD : Win 20 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Solitaire Home Story : Fill the streak meter 70 times this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

RIP Eddie Guerrero

Started by pogohatesme,

Previous topic - Next topic

pogohatesme

For all the wrestling fans, it's been offically reported the Eddie Guerrero was found dead in his hotel room this morning by hotel officals and his nephew Chavo.  No signs of foul play or suicide.  An autopsy is planned.

bubblegum

OMG my husband will be so sad...I just went to wwe.com and they have some info on it.

pogohatesme

yea for anyone interested, the wwe homepage has a great tribute right now.  Pics, stories, and the press confrence held by Vince and Chavo this afternoon. 

bubblegum

so what are they thinking, heart attack, accident, natural causes?

Cody

wow really? I didnt think he was that old to just fall over and die.

pogohatesme

They're not releasing any info until after the autopsy.  As stated in the press confrence, he had just celebrated 4 years of being clean and sober and was happy about his recent finding of religon.  Even if he was totally clean for those 4 years, the amount and length of time that he did take drugs and alcohol would have a lasting affect on his body.  He is survived by his wife and 3 daughters.  He was 38 years old. 

SaintHiρρo

I believe the reason (and this is 100% just my own thoughts and no way has been confirmed) for his death is heart problems caused by stress. When he was WWE Champion after beating Brock, he had the weight of the world on his shoulder and as it was documented in the past, he said he had problems handling that much and needed time off while he was champion. At that time, he was not booked on house shows and only wrestled on SmackDown! and PPVs. Once losing the title, he was given a even lighter schedule in an attempt to keep him away from the painkillers and other medications he has been known to take. Fast forward to last week. Bautista (spelled the correct way, not the WWE way) gets injuried and might have to have surgery. The plan is to then put the title back around the waist of Eddie Guerrero. Maybe the thought of having to carry SmackDown again was too much and we lose a very proud father, a great man and a true legend in the ring. It's every wrestler's dream to be the champion but based on the past, it could have been the ultimate downfall of Eddie Guerrero! I refuse to believe it was caused by drugs or anything else other than the big man above telling Eddie he needed to lie, to cheat and to steal a few hearts in heaven! RIP Eddie, you will be missed!

pogohatesme

Update on Funeral:  As released on a radio station earlier today, Eddie's wife has requested that "Superstar" Billy Graham prefer the service at his church and will take place most likely on Wednesday.  Wide speculation is that the cause of death will probably be a massive heart attack due to past years of drug and alcohol abuse.  The WWE home page has edit some pics of him out of the advertisments for the upcoming PPV and his superstar profile is still posted, it has been updated with his RIP banner though.

And yes, he was found on the bathroom floor with his toothbrush, indicating he was up and ready to brush his teeth.  Shortly after the body was removed Chris Benoit, Chavo, and a couple other close wrestlers went back into his room to say their private goodbyes. 

If anyone is interested, ProWrestling.com, the best site for news and updates, has now posted the Raw taping spoilers in great detail. 

RC

Quote from: SaintHippo on November 13, 2005, 06:34:15 PM
When he was WWE Champion after beating Brock, he had the weight of the world on his shoulder and as it was documented in the past, he said he had problems handling that much and needed time off while he was champion.

I'm sorry here, no disrespect intended, but can there really be pressure of any kind with that? We all know, or should know, that this kind of "pro" wrestling is really not a s----, sorry I can't even use the "S" word, cuz it really isn't one.. it's scripted entertainment, you realize that right? Partially why they are even the WW"E" now and not WW"F". This is like the original "reality" show, if the champion got a million bucks instead of a belt, there wouldn't be much difference. I never understood people who looked at this as if it were a real spo.. spo.. spo.. I still can't say that word in connection with this. These wrestlers are not much more than actors playing a part. Again, I'm not dissin em, if that's the part they choose to play, and if people like it that's fine.. but they shouldn't pretend it's something it's not.

xxDragonGoddessxx

omg i just told my husband about this because this is the first time i turned on my feed reader today.  He thought i was lying to him.  RIP Eddie.   :'(

pogofreak

Thanks for posting on this.  I've been bumming since about 3 this afternoon.  Finally hit me about 2 hours ago that man, we'll never get to see those low riders entering the arena again.  I hate to say it but I lost it about then.  (No, not sad about the lack of low riders, sad about the guy).  I think I'd have been ok but I got to shake his hand, that makes it more "personal" you know?  

Wrestlingwire has a bunch of articles updating as the news comes in.  The idea of possible heart failure sucks.  A fact of life yes, but it still sucks.  Heh, I knew I actually turned on wrestling on Friday for a reason.  *shakes head*

Viva La Raza! (or however you spell that)
pf

:'(

groomsy

RC: how is wrestling not a sport? Chhris Benoit has  broken his  neck twice, not to mention all the other injuries everyone gets from it

it may be predetermined outcomes but it is more of a sport than Golf, soccer or  Tennis

hell in 1999 Owen Hart died at a PPV doing what he loved and i bet he doesnt regret it, the dieing part yes but the way he died he doesnt cause he was doing what he loved

Eddie has beaten it all,  drugs, alcohol a nd pain killers, he was a great man  and a great husband,let alone his talent

he will be greatly missed

RC

Like I said previously, I was not saying anything about him specifically or about wrestlers doing what they do. That kind of wrestling is still not a sport.. you even conceded the fact that it has predetermined outcomes.. how could anything with that be a sport? Would you consider baseball a sport if they had a plan going into it that a certain team would get the winning run in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded to win the game? It may be exciting, but it would still be a fix.. would that be fair to the losing team? But then they wouldn't care cuz they would agree to the "act" and play it out.. so in essence it would be nothing short of actors performing a play for the audience, not a team sport where the players actually perform at their best to win whenever possible. The writers would probably have the Yankess and Red Sox battling it out every postseason just for the popularity of them. And it doesn't matter how many injuries a person sustains, or even dying from participating.. that doesn't make it a sport. I'm sure many an actor has sustained injuries performing stunts, and that's what they are, just stunts.. and sometimes stunts go wrong or are dangerous to do, but they still do them. Golf, soccer, tennis.. you may not like them as sports as much as you like wrestling for what it is, but they are people or teams that play for real for a goal to be the best at what they do.. and to do it for real and not what others say they should do or how it should go for them.

Wrestling fans can get into their shows as much as they want, "root" for who you think is supposed to win.. but in the end, it's still not a sport. Do you ever see anything about "Professional Wrestling" in your sports pages? Of course not, cuz that would be silly. Golf, tennis, soccer.. heck, even horse racing.. a little guy sitting on a horse going around a track for 2 minutes is considered more of a sport and is listed in the sports pages.

pogohatesme

Quote from: RC on November 13, 2005, 08:40:29 PM
I'm sorry here, no disrespect intended, but can there really be pressure of any kind with that? We all know, or should know, that this kind of "pro" wrestling is really not a s----, sorry I can't even use the "S" word, cuz it really isn't one.. it's scripted entertainment, you realize that right? Partially why they are even the WW"E" now and not WW"F". This is like the original "reality" show, if the champion got a million bucks instead of a belt, there wouldn't be much difference. I never understood people who looked at this as if it were a real spo.. spo.. spo.. I still can't say that word in connection with this. These wrestlers are not much more than actors playing a part. Again, I'm not dissin em, if that's the part they choose to play, and if people like it that's fine.. but they shouldn't pretend it's something it's not.

I hate the idea that a simple thread for everyone to show support and remember a great man has turned into something that will cause bickering, but I understand that will happen, as everyone has their own opinions.  

I have to agree with groomsy.  While a lot of the wrestling is "scripted", the bumps, flips, twists, and other maunevers you seem them "acting out" are real.  On top of Chris Benoit having a broken neck twice, I'd like to point out other injures to you that happen during this SPORT:

-DAVE BATISTA:  Possibly needing surgery to repair torn muscle
-KANE:  They thought at one time a couple weeks ago he had a broken back, turns out to still be a serious injury
-STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN:  Multiple neck and knee problems, some of which documented in films shown during the RAW events
-SHAWN MICHAELS:  Was out for a very long time to have back surgery to repair problems rvcd during the events
-KEVIN NASH, THE ROCK, RIC FLAIR, HULK HOGAN:  Various knee replacements, including the fact that Kevin Nash has had aprox 16 surguries to try and fix his.
-HHH:  Had a torn quad, surgery documented and shown during a RAW even and was told he would never wrestle again, but here he is

How about Owen Hart who did die doing what he loved the most?!?  Or Droz who is in a wheel chair becuase a move was preformed wrong!

So while your sitting at home watching your football which you consider a sport and I watch my wrestling which I KNOW is a SPORT, I leave you with these thoughts:

-Some NFL players have openly talked about their love of wrestling, to the point that they say that wrestling is a SPORT.  And that they know that some, if not most, of the WWE wrestlers take harder bumps and hits than they, the NFL players do.
-Your SPORTS teams take an off season.  They spend time with their family's, friends, and the nice things they've bought with the millions of dollars that they make.  My SPORTS team (WWE) doesn't get an off season.  They aren't guareented millions a year.  They don't get to see their family all the time.  Hell these guys go weeks without getting to see their family's.

So the next time you think wrestling isn't a stressful SPORT, think about the injured guys who aren't making money because they can't wrestle.  Think about the family's of people like Droz, Owen Hart, and now Eddie and think about the stress they've seen their husbands, sons, brothers, etc. go through.

P.S. WWE isn't called the WW"F" anymore because they were sued by the World Wildlife Fund, which has been known by the itinals WWF.  A judge ruled that they (Wildlife Fund) had been using the moniker WWF longer than the WWE had been.  Therefore, WWE had to change their name and moniker.  It had nothing to do with the fact that it may or may not be "scripted entertainment" or "reality TV"

RC

And you can read my last post where I stated sustaining injuries does not a sport make.

And you have to change your industry's title, to anything you can possibly think of.. instead of using the F for Federation... and you end up calling it Entertainment, that alone should tell ya somethin. They could have gone with Organization, League, anything else to make it a little more like what the fans think it is, a sport.. but they go with the big E instead.

BoredNItaly

I remember when my dad was a wrestler in the 70's and 80's out of memphis, TN and in other places and going in the dressing rooms  LOL "Bad team" on pne end and "good" team on the other but walk in either and they are all combined and they are talking about who will do what, when and how long they will make the match before winning LMAO sometimes they would flip the coin or whoever was more popular got to win. I also remember watching my dad get a razor blade and cutting his forehead enough not to notice but enough to when barely touched would make it split WIDE open  LOL.  As my dad told me along time ago he hates wrestling now its all TALk and no action he said its more of a who can out talk the other......He died 7 years ago and the WWE paid for his funeral without having to be asked or anything. Wrestling is more of a entertainment than anything and sometimes moves go wrong.

Just wanted to add a few things to this post because it made me think of my dad and all the friends I have in the wrestling community and all my wrestling buddies that still get out there and not think of the dangers of the Entertainment

RIP Eddie Guerrero

groomsy

but its still competition, whether you know who wins or not, you still jump up and down, you still flip over, if thats not a sport then football, soccer, baseball and what ever has competition in it isnt really a sport as they all have the same things in their so called sports

jamez

i dont watch this sport sorry so i have no clue who he is i only like football & nascar & women  O0

Notquitecherry

this is from Webster's on-line i left out a forbidden word for the younger viewers but you can go there and see for yourself 1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
2 a : PLEASANTRY, JEST b : often mean-spirited jesting : MOCKERY, DERISION
3 a : something tossed or driven about in or as if in play b : LAUGHINGSTOCK
4 a : SPORTSMAN b : a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship <a good sport> <a poor sport> c : a companionable person
5 : an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue
synonym see FUN
I'm sorry if I read this wrong but I see nothing about it saying anything about a predetermined outcome.

Blu

I used to agree with RC on this sport idea. I recently received my Masters of Science for Kinesiology with emphasis in Sports Sociology at the Univ. of North Texas. We had literature based debates on sports/non-sports many times and wrestling came up once. One classmate, who's a huge WWE fan was convinced it was a sport. Our class felt the opposite until someone used the one source to define anything, a dictionary. I've got to say it is a sport. The following is right out of a dictionary:

sport n.

1. a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
       b. A particular form of this activity.
   2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Now, does wrestling require physical activity & skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively? YES! There's obvious physical activity that, believe it or not, follows rules, but also follows customs in that wrestling as we know it has become secularly popular and customs have been passed downed.
For the part about sport "often undertaken competitively," wrestling is determined competition. This definition says "often," thus showing not all sport is winner/loser based by competion.

Last, don't act as if all sport isn't predetermined. There's been documented fixing on all levels of sports. Eight Men Out is just the hollywood favorite.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview