Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Christmas controversy

Started by Madonna,

Previous topic - Next topic

Madonna

I don't usually speak out like this unless it is a topic dear to my heart. There is a bruhaha going on about whether or not you should say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays anymore. Some bad apples that have nothing better to do than to ruin yet another holiday have said it is "offensive" to say those 2 famous greetings we all love to hear at this time of year. Stores have resorted to saying "Seasons Greetings" when you walk in, which is fine and dandy. What I want to know is, where do these people get off telling me, or anyone, what should be said when I want to celebrate with the people I care for. I love this country, for the most part, and to take Christmas or Holiday away because it is offensive is ludicrous. I understand there are other religions beside Christianity in this country...but you don't see us saying...oh...Haunakah or Kwanzaa, or whatever "offends" us. We all should celebrate in peace and harmony, regardless of our religious preferences. And if you are atheists...a bah humbug to you too...but you also have that right. Just don't ruin our fun and our beliefs just because you may not agree with them. And least we not forget that without Christ there would be no Christmas. If I offended anyone on this forum, I sincerely apologize. To those I didn't...MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all. :-*

Momof5

Scarlette

I am glad we have the 1st Amendtent which says we have "Freedom of Speech" so I think no one should tell us what we would want to call this "Holiest Day of The Year" when "Christ Our Savior" was born. 

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year and always follow your Heart. ;)

First Amendten History: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

chunkster

I love how Jesus taught to his disciples to not worry for material goods...yet his birthday is the most materialistic day of them all for most families.

Christianity is struggling to hold it's place as the number one religion in America, there's gotta be some give. This society is a ''melting pot'' and we should do our best to make all faiths feel welcome. Christmas isn't the only holiday that occurs at this time of year... most faiths have some significant event that happens around the same time.

I'm Agnostic, but I don't plan on seeing any "Happy We Can't and Shouldn't Prove the Existence of a Higher Power Day" cards. I like the "Seasons Greetings" term because I can use it for my friends from all cultures, even the Atheists, without forcing Christianity or any other faith down their throats. It can be taken however they choose to celebrate; it's a wonderful euphemism.

nanners

I agree with whats being said here about Christmas.. Your almost afraid to say anything anymore,, might "offend" someone..Just not right!!
Merry Christmas and i'll keep saying it..
my 2cents

janet

It is getting awful isn't it.  Now I hear it is happy holidays or merry X-mas.  Does that mean we are not supposed to use the words Hanuka or Quanza either.  I really think that we should just leave each other's religions alone.  Not Christmas Tree anymore either, but Holiday Tree.  Wonder what the other religions will be calling theirs.  This is just getting way too confusing.  No one is saying it to offend anyone else I don't think.  Pretty soon we won't be saying anything nice to anyone.  What a shame.  :(

mailwench

:D All I have to say is MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!  If someone is offended by this they can mute me! O0

Iceman007

That is like in Massachusetts that they want to change yopu saying a Christmas tree to a Holiday tree.WTF has this world come to,our values,traditions etc!!

bubblegum

the news this morning on tv made an interesting point about the holidays.  The first amendment prevents the state (ie the government) from establishing a state based religion or requiring people to practice a certain religion. Also the state can't interfere with how people practice religion.  It also guarantees us the people to be practice religion in any way we see fit.  And with public schools, they can understand how it can be a touchy issue with keeping religion separate from educating the students.  However the newscaster made the point as the public education system has a duty to educate students, they can use Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Ramadan and any other major religious holiday as a teaching tool about the history and culture of people with out promoting one religion over another.  I think its a great idea myself. So.......... MERRY CHRISTMAS AND SEASONS GREETINGS

Eagles Fan

Merry Christmas to everyone.  I have been saying that for almost 50 years and it has great meaning to me.  And I will say it as long as the good Lord allows me to be on this earth.  Needless to say if anyone is offened by this then it is just toooooooooo  baaaaaaaaaaad!  Have a save and happy Christmas season!

janet

It is going to be sad if the grade school children can't have Christmas Programs anymore.  I think they should put all of the different religions represented in their school in them.  Maybe they could get away with it then, but I doubt it because of agnostic's.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all you that desire it.

Helen

Quote from: Iceman007 on December 08, 2005, 08:37:53 AM
That is like in Massachusetts that they want to change yopu saying a Christmas tree to a Holiday tree.WTF has this world come to,our values,traditions etc!!

A Holiday tree??? Now that is about the craziest thing I've heard yet.

bubblegum

how about a parent getting offened by a giving tree, and the school replaceing it with a giving "counter"? if you think its crazy, I'll send you the link.

Shadow

If a store tells its employees that they have to say Happy Holidays and can't say Merry Christmas, they are not getting any of my money!! Lowes, I think it was, was selling holiday trees, until the O'Reilly Factor put the pressure on them and they changed it back to Christmas trees. Bill O'Reilly has got many stores to change thier ways....GO BILL!
Merry Christmas one and all!

BoredNItaly

I see it this way all the other countries had people run them tell them how to think, what to think, and what to do when to do it.................Now we have helped these countries be free of all that and alot of people have come to the USA and now our country is being told what to do, when to do it how to do it. WHat to think and what not to think.........Before we know it our country will be the country people talk about not wanting to come to because all our freedoms and everything we have fought for and stood for YEARS AND YEARS are being taken away.

MerryChristmas to everyone and Thank you to any and all people that have fought our battles to let our country stay FREE and now our Goverment wants to just hand it over to CRY BABIES!

Iceman007

Love your avatar bored.I loved that cartoon!  Go Mutley!!  O0

Madonna

Quote from: janetdebra on December 08, 2005, 09:32:01 AM
It is going to be sad if the grade school children can't have Christmas Programs anymore.  I think they should put all of the different religions represented in their school in them.  Maybe they could get away with it then, but I doubt it because of agnostic's.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all you that desire it.
Unfortunately, they are trying to do away with Christmas plays/programs altogether. The next thing you know they will be changing lyrics to Christmas Carols. So, are we to sing "O holiday tree, o holiday tree"? I think NOT. I enjoy watching CHRISTMAS prgrams, and sitting down with my jewish friends and celebrating Haunakah. There is nothing wrong with religions. I think it has a lot to do with the atheists that has to stir up some chit to make everyone's life as miserable as their own. So if you don't want to hear a religious greeting...turn a deaf ear. If you don't want to watch a festive holiday program, don't attend it or trip the station, change the channel. Your choice. But shut your face when it comes to the rest of us who want to enjoy the holidays. So MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HOLIDAYS (seeing as holiday has HOLY in it)...and all that jazz. Madonna

nanners

BRAVO Madonna!!! Very well said... :D
and Merry Christmas to you

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview