Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

NYC Blizzard of 2006

Started by Tina123,

Previous topic - Next topic

Tina123

Yesterday, a whopping 26.9 inches of snow fell in Central Park. I don't know where anyone comes from, but in New York City, that is one helluva lot of snow.
Getting to work, well, if you were taking the subway, that wasn't too bad, they run underground.
But, the buses, people (those of us dopes who went in) took double the amount of time.
Walking around (which is what a lot of NY'ers do) was weird. If you didn't plan where you were going to cross the street, you might have to walk a block or two out of your way to cross over.

But, it sure was beautiful while it was coming down. I wish there was a blizzard every week, it was so quiet in a strange kind of way.
I'm not complaining, I've lived here all of my life, and this is where I'm staying, but I'm sure looking forward to the summer. Then I can *itch and moan about the humidity.

Anyone else have weather woes with this blizzard?

Homer

12 inches here.

They do a terrible job with snow removal here. >:(

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

hades

ct got around 10-12" and thye acted like there was four feet of it.it was funny watching the news.

Shady Lady

I feel for you all. We only got a few inches here in NC. About 3 at the house & 6 just above us. Was up all Saturday night & most of Sunday night ... darn salt trucks making all kinds of racket. Guess it could have been worse and been where Homer is. Sure you didn't here them nearly as much as you needed to.

Homer

Salt truck? What's that? LOL

Philly is terrible with snow removal. Go figure. With a mayor whose last name is Street he can't keep the streets clean. :o

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

pogohatesme

::) They say that babybooms happen 9 months after blizzards.......... ??? Hope ya'll are planning on playing pogo

bobby

mandw

I got about 4 inches, I am in vermont and it was funny how it went right around us.

ClingFree

Okay I have a question .. and you can laugh at me if you want .. but Im serious - in New York City, when you get THAT much  snow, where do they "remove" it to?    I live in Michigan, theres plenty of places to stick it .. but where do they stick it in New York?

hallowkween

hallowkween

Quote from: hallowkween on February 13, 2006, 07:59:33 PM
do you live in Manhattan ...Tina?

They use to dump it in the Rivers (east and Hudson)

now they have machines that melt the snow ....

Dan39Mn

Are all time recors is like 30 inches Back in 91 one  Oct. 31 2 weeks later we got other 15 so i cant really feel your pain Sorry.....

CindyLouWho

Wowee Dan!!  We got about 15" here but will probably be gone later this week since the temp is supposed to go up in the 50's for couple days, lol.   :o

ClingFree

Quote from: hallowkween on February 13, 2006, 08:00:44 PM
Quote from: hallowkween on February 13, 2006, 07:59:33 PM
do you live in Manhattan ...Tina?

They use to dump it in the Rivers (east and Hudson)

now they have machines that melt the snow ....

Thank You!!! I really wanted to know

Tina123

In answer to the questions, I work in Manhattan (1/2 block from the bull, in the financial district,) but I live in Astoria, Queens, which is 5 minutes from LaGuardia airport and 30 seconds from the Triborough bridge.
I saw something on the news tonight about what the city is doing with the melted snow. There is a special truck that melts the snow, and then they run it down the sewers, with a hose of some type.
They were doing this in Central Park, cause believe me, there is still plenty of snow on the streets over here in the neighborhoods.
The highways have absolutely no snow, now that is unbelievable, isn't it?
Even more unbelievable, Mayor Bloomberg didn't close the schools. Now that was the one thing I could count on when I was a kid, the schools being closed for a blizzard, and then hanging out with your friends and having snowball fights. Do kids do that anymore?

bobby

sure they do
Quote from: Tina123 on February 14, 2006, 08:25:32 PM
In answer to the questions, I work in Manhattan (1/2 block from the bull, in the financial district,) but I live in Astoria, Queens, which is 5 minutes from LaGuardia airport and 30 seconds from the Triborough bridge.
I saw something on the news tonight about what the city is doing with the melted snow. There is a special truck that melts the snow, and then they run it down the sewers, with a hose of some type.
They were doing this in Central Park, cause believe me, there is still plenty of snow on the streets over here in the neighborhoods.
The highways have absolutely no snow, now that is unbelievable, isn't it?
Even more unbelievable, Mayor Bloomberg didn't close the schools. Now that was the one thing I could count on when I was a kid, the schools being closed for a blizzard, and then hanging out with your friends and having snowball fights. Do kids do that anymore?

nanners

I didn't get any here north of pitts..*tisk* *tisk*  ;D

cranky

im allergy to winter time lol that's why i live in sunny flordia :D O0

bubblegum

my boss's hubby wsa stuck in new york with all that snow-first flight he could catch out was going to be today

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview