This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Bejeweled Stars : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Daily Sudoku : Score 60000 points this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Addiction Solitaire HD : Win 28 games this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

March Madness

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

If PogoCheats had a March Madness contest would you play?

Yes
43 (89.6%)
No
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Mr. Rasputia

Ethan_Hawley

Quote from: RC on February 22, 2006, 08:56:54 PM
Quote from: SaintHippo on February 22, 2006, 03:11:51 PM

32+16+8+4+2+1 = 59 possible games (not counting that one team that's always #65 and still gets to play in the tournament of 64!!!!!!)

Hmmmmm... that sure looks like a mathematical equation, but with my math, 32+16+8+4+2+1 = 63  :P It's not too hard to figure out without actually doing the math.. 64 teams start, 63 teams will lose 1 game, every game played has 1 loser, hence there has to be 63 games.. that may be some sort of math, but not so much that ya know it's math.  :D

Don't forget the "play-in game"...  It's usually been played in Dayton the past couple years and the winner becomes the last 16 seed against one of the 1 seeds.  So I think it's really 64 games total...

By the way, my vote is an emphatic "YES!!!" to any and all sports related tourneys!!  Basketball, hockey, baseball, curling, foosball, beer pong....whatever.  spb.gif

RC

I would actually consider that extra game as not being part of the tournament. It's a game to see which team is to become part of the 64 team tourney, and the team that loses that game, I don't think you can say that they got to the big dance and lost as part of the tourney, cuz they never really got there. Like you said, they even play it in Dayton, away from the cities that are hosting the tourney, that tells me it's not part of the tourney. Anyway, Saint had already said in his post, "not counting that one team", and I was going by his post.. which still makes it 64 teams and 63 losers in 63 games. The extra game is a joke anyway, it's really to see who wants to lose to a #1 seed more.. they gotta know goin in that they have no shot. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think any #16 seed has ever beaten a #1 in the first round, let alone if it was the extra team or not.

Ethan_Hawley

Quote from: RC on February 23, 2006, 11:21:51 PM
I would actually consider that extra game as not being part of the tournament. It's a game to see which team is to become part of the 64 team tourney, and the team that loses that game, I don't think you can say that they got to the big dance and lost as part of the tourney, cuz they never really got there. Like you said, they even play it in Dayton, away from the cities that are hosting the tourney, that tells me it's not part of the tourney. Anyway, Saint had already said in his post, "not counting that one team", and I was going by his post.. which still makes it 64 teams and 63 losers in 63 games. The extra game is a joke anyway, it's really to see who wants to lose to a #1 seed more.. they gotta know goin in that they have no shot. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think any #16 seed has ever beaten a #1 in the first round, let alone if it was the extra team or not.

Sorry to quibble over semantics, guess you're right.  Just thought that since #'s 64 & 65 were part of selection sunday that they were indeed part of the big dance.  You're right though, the game is a joke... 

RC

Well, they have to be selected, otherwise how ya gonna know who's playing? The way I think it, and it's only my opinion, the NCAA may even consider that game to be part of the tournament.. but I only consider the real tournament to be the 64 teams, all of which have a seeding.. is there any kind of seeding involved with the extra game? Those teams aren't one of the 1-16 seeds, they are playing to see who becomes a 16 seed, and part of the real tournament, the loser gets nothing.. they never had a seed, so how would they be part of a seeded tourney? That's why I wouldn't consider that a tourney game. NCAA does actually call it the "opening round game", but that's the only game of the "opening round", when the real tourney starts, it's the "first round". Does anyone who plays in these bracket pools ever include the "opening round game" as part of their pools? I don't think so, not that I've ever seen.. they only include the 64 teams that make up the true, even, bracket. I know it's only technicalities, again this is jusy my opinion as how I view it.

Ethan_Hawley

hades

so true tho a number one seed to this point has never lost to a sixteen seed but a few two seeds have lost to fifteen seeds so there always could be an upset.one of them type of upsets just one game could ruin someones whole tiurney if they bet.  ???

Helen

Quote from: hades on February 26, 2006, 07:25:16 AM
so true tho a number one seed to this point has never lost to a sixteen seed but a few two seeds have lost to fifteen seeds so there always could be an upset.one of them type of upsets just one game could ruin someones whole tiurney if they bet.  ???

That's the beauty of sport. Every team does have a chance!!

Ethan_Hawley

Anyone see that George Washington v. Charlotte game this afternoon...whew!!  I've got the March Madness fever...and the only prescription...is more cowbell. 

bobby

i had to go to the doctor to see if i had march madness, the news wasn't good :-\

Homer

I can't get into basketball until the tournament starts. Unless it's a local team. last year I was lucky to see St. Joseph's do well and now this year it is Villanova. O0

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Helen

Quote from: bobby on March 04, 2006, 02:38:50 PM
i had to go to the doctor to see if i had march madness, the news wasn't good :-\

LMAO Bobby, that was too funny.

Homer

Just so everyone knows. There will be a NCAA Basketball Pick'em Contest.

I will be using Yahoo for this to save my sanity. :P

You will need a Yahoo User ID to play. If you don't have one just go to Yahoo and open a Yahoo email account. This will give you your account ID.

Once the site is ready I will make an announcement with instructions. You will need to know which league to join and the password. This information will be passed out once I have things setup.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

hades

i sense maybe anoth uconn vs duke championship game  :P

Helen

Quote from: Homer on March 04, 2006, 05:25:33 PM
Just so everyone knows. There will be a NCAA Basketball Pick'em Contest.

I will be using Yahoo for this to save my sanity. :P

You will need a Yahoo User ID to play. If you don't have one just go to Yahoo and open a Yahoo email account. This will give you your account ID.

Once the site is ready I will make an announcement with instructions. You will need to know which league to join and the password. This information will be passed out once I have things setup.

OK Homer, thanks for the info.

nightperson

Mr. Rasputia

Quote from: hades on March 04, 2006, 05:29:25 PM
i sense maybe anoth uconn vs duke championship game  :P
Not if they continue to play like they have in the last two games  ::)

groomsy

Blu

Quote from: groomsy on March 05, 2006, 06:56:32 AM
ILLINOIS wins it all
Like last year, when they were #1...till the Heels got em.

bobby

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview