Main Menu

TiVo may give away set-top boxes

Started by SaintHiρρo,

Previous topic - Next topic

SaintHiρρo

Tara

Jackpotloser

foxx

That's really not surprising to me considering...
-most major market cable companies include a DVR with Digital/HD cable for around $5.00 a month
-DirecTV now makes its own DVR's which they give away to new AND existing subscribers (usually through a mail in rebate) and the monthly service is only 5.99/month....

Had TiVo...loved it.  Have DVR...love it just as much for $7 less a month...   ;)

SaintHiρρo

Quote from: foxx on February 27, 2006, 01:55:58 PM
-most major market cable companies include a DVR with Digital/HD cable for around $5.00 a month
-DirecTV now makes its own DVR's which they give away to new AND existing subscribers (usually through a mail in rebate) and the monthly service is only 5.99/month....

Had TiVo...loved it.  Have DVR...love it just as much for $7 less a month...   ;)

I have a DVR and the one major problem I have with it is that if you cancel your subscription with my cable company and decide to go to satellite again (had DirecTV before), I would lose all my recordings that I would like to keep and I would have to give back my DVR to the cable company. With Satellite, if you cancel, your DVR isn't going to work anymore and then you'll stuck with this box you'll have to decide if you want to throw out or one day hope to get satellite again. Then there is TiVo, which works with ANY service you have, you can cancel your cable and still be able to use it (same with satellite), plus you have the ability to pay $400 for a lifetime subscription (I know, sounds like a lot of money... and it is) and never have to worry about any bills again. In addition, most DVR providers don't have one that includes a DVD recorder (like TiVo has) and that's something I'm saving up to get. Paying $800 for a DVD-Recording DVR & lifetime subscription (not including taxes) might seem like a lot but in the long run, it will be money well spent (if you can afford it)

hades

comcast and tivo are working together on a new box that us comcast customers will soon be offered.  :)

foxx

Quote from: SaintHippo on February 27, 2006, 02:03:09 PM
Quote from: foxx on February 27, 2006, 01:55:58 PM

I have a DVR and the one major problem I have with it is that if you cancel your subscription with my cable company and decide to go to satellite again (had DirecTV before), I would lose all my recordings that I would like to keep and I would have to give back my DVR to the cable company. With Satellite, if you cancel, your DVR isn't going to work anymore and then you'll stuck with this box you'll have to decide if you want to throw out or one day hope to get satellite again. Then there is TiVo, which works with ANY service you have, you can cancel your cable and still be able to use it (same with satellite), plus you have the ability to pay $400 for a lifetime subscription (I know, sounds like a lot of money... and it is) and never have to worry about any bills again. In addition, most DVR providers don't have one that includes a DVD recorder (like TiVo has) and that's something I'm saving up to get. Paying $800 for a DVD-Recording DVR & lifetime subscription (not including taxes) might seem like a lot but in the long run, it will be money well spent (if you can afford it)

oooooh....I did not know of this TiVo/DVD recorder....makes the argument for me...no more buying TV shows on DVD would be worth it... eg Lost, Grey's, Desperate...hmmm....

This is why I heart Hippo...always with the good arguments and facts... :-*

SaintHiρρo

Quote from: foxx on February 27, 2006, 02:27:49 PM
oooooh....I did not know of this TiVo/DVD recorder....makes the argument for me...no more buying TV shows on DVD would be worth it... eg Lost, Grey's, Desperate...hmmm....

This is why I heart Hippo...always with the good arguments and facts... :-*

LoL, I went to TiVo's website after posting that comment and saw they're currently offering a service where you can get the DVD Recording DVR for only $250ish with a 1 year pre-paid subscription (comes out to about $400 total). When I had TiVo, I had been paying month by month and decided to just pay for a full year ahead of time. When I did that, they credited me for that month I had just paid for in addition to the 1 year. Now, I'm not an expert on TiVo but I'm sure that if you were to pre-pay that 1 year, you can add on the lifetime plan to your account and they might credit you some of that 1 year money back. So you'll actually be saving money if you take advantage of their current offer. It would't hurt to call and find out but if it's true... I might be tempted to just purchase it and buy my lifetime plan after I pay off my bills this month!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview