Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Credit Card Fraud

Started by LVAN100,

Previous topic - Next topic

LVAN100

Hey there. I recently had a bunch of charges on my bank statement that I DID NOT make and had to shut down my card.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I had ordered an air bed online and ever since then I was being attacked by someone through my bank account. >:(

Any repsonses back would be appreciated.
Thanx!!

Tara

Wow sorry to hear that....could you let us know who u bought from?

harley89

I have only had 1 charge show up I didnt make. But my mother travels alot and at one of the hotels she stays at regularly the clerk took her card number and was using it. The people at American Express caught on to it and notified her before she got her statement. It can happen at any time and any place.

PogoCrazyMomma

Really sorry to hear that. I haven't had that happen to me but know it could. I try to be as careful as possible with purchasing online but unfortunately no matter how careful chit can happen and not just online it credit card fraud and identity theft can come from anywhere, like spirit said. I hope your bank is helping you and removing the charges from your account. I would try to find as much info about the site you bought the air bed from. Have you contacted them?

LVAN100

Thanx all. Wow!! Thank you for the input. I see that it can happen to people even offline. I am scared to order things online now. IF I can get a phone number for the company or people that I wish to order things from, that is what I do now instead of putting my card at risk.

Yes, I called the airbed place. They say that it isnt them. Maybe their site was unsecure?? Have no idea. It happens.

Yes my bank stopped the transactions and shut the card down ASAP as soon as I called them and told them I did not make the charges. It is just sooooo frustrating at times and scary!!

Esp when you look at account online and see that you are - 400.00 over drawn eeekkkkk!!

Sorry to all that have had this stuff happen to them.

PogoCrazyMomma

OMG 400 overdrawn I would have gone insane!!!!! I don't have credit cards, but also have a  debit card which I use and to have your own hard earned money gone, gosh I would have lost it!! I am glad to hear that the bank fixed it though!!  I only purchase online from stores I know like Old Navy, Ticketmaster, Fashion Bug, stuff like that. I do use Ebay and trust paypal (how payments get paid) and my Club Pogo purchases, gotta have those badge albums  ;D but i mostly will not buy from some unknown website, though I did get my daughter's communion dress a couple years ago through a search for websites that sold them but luckily all went fine.

tigereyes

About 4 months ago that happened to my boyfriend. He had a debit card and when he got his bank statement it showed $2000.00 worth of charges he didn't make. Whoever it was made 4 charges of $500.00. Luckily the bank did get it all straightened out. It is pretty scary because it can happen to anyone at anytime. I have a credit card but I only use it on pogo. I don't do any online shopping and if I ever did it would only be for sites I know I could trust.

LVAN100

Yep now you know why I was freaking out. I was yelling at the bank and everyone that came near me that day LOL I was on a mission to kick someone that day.

Thats good to hear, glad it went well.

They have been talking on the news alot about how this "issue" is very common and identity theft. It taught me a big lesson. To be more observant and more protective of my info and to NOT order things from sites that are not well known and etc.

Have a nice day!!

LVAN100

About 4 months ago that happened to my boyfriend. He had a debit card and when he got his bank statement it showed $2000.00 worth of charges he didn't make. Whoever it was made 4 charges of $500.00. Luckily the bank did get it all straightened out. It is pretty scary because it can happen to anyone at anytime. I have a credit card but I only use it on pogo. I don't do any online shopping and if I ever did it would only be for sites I know I could trust.

Thats very good that he got it fixed. Yes very scary!! Yes thats the best way to go, Only trusted sites.
I bet he watches his account now. I know I check mine 100x a day lol

SI

Quote from: LVAN100 on February 28, 2006, 08:28:41 AM
Thanx all. Wow!! Thank you for the input. I see that it can happen to people even offline. I am scared to order things online now. IF I can get a phone number for the company or people that I wish to order things from, that is what I do now instead of putting my card at risk.

Yes, I called the airbed place. They say that it isnt them. Maybe their site was unsecure?? Have no idea. It happens.

Yes my bank stopped the transactions and shut the card down ASAP as soon as I called them and told them I did not make the charges. It is just sooooo frustrating at times and scary!!

Esp when you look at account online and see that you are - 400.00 over drawn eeekkkkk!!

Sorry to all that have had this stuff happen to them.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind:

1.  If you're ever buying anything online, look at the address bar.  Normally, it will say "http://"; if it's a secure site, it will say "https://".  It's each persons choice, but I would NEVER enter CC or credit-sensitive information (license#, SSN, DOB) on an unsecure page.

2.  Most credit card lines (Visa, MC, Amex, Discover) will provide you with a verification method for online use.  Some use additional authentication methods.  Others provide you with a new number, independent from your actual CC#, to use online.  If you go to your card's website, you should be able to find more info there.

LVAN100

coollllll thank you for the info, will check it out.

Tara

The only thing I ever use to pay for anything is Paypal...Ive never had a problem with them

harley89

Some banks offer 1 time use cards for online purchases.  use for one purchase and it is shut down. The charges would go to whatever account you specified.

tigereyes

Quote from: LVAN100 on February 28, 2006, 09:04:12 AM

Thats very good that he got it fixed. Yes very scary!! Yes thats the best way to go, Only trusted sites.
I bet he watches his account now. I know I check mine 100x a day lol

He watches it closely now. He had to cancel that card and get another one. Everything is going good with the new card. I sure hope it stays that way.

persistence

One thing that I didn't see was anyone telling you to contact ALL your CC's and ALL 3 of the Credit Bureaus.If the person has this CC# then he can get info on you and try to make other cards and purchases against you.By doing this it will flag your account at the 3 credit bureaus and they normally will get in touch with you to comfirm whatever it is.Just a word of advice to everyone....if you ever have your wallet stolen PLEASE contact ALL the credit bureaus it will save a lot of hassle later on with identity fraud.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview