PlayBuddy
September 18, 2024, 09:40:23 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Computer Fact or Fiction: For the unexperienced computer user

Started by SaintHiρρo,

Previous topic - Next topic

SaintHiρρo

Passing this along. Every Tuesday, Yahoo! does some tech type stuff on their site and I thought this would be great for those of you who ask questions with simple answers or those who are afraid to ask because they might think it's a stupid questions (and there are no stupid questions, just stupid responses!):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ttpcworld/20060223/tc_techtues_pcworld/124807

SI

Great article O0.  The only bit I disagree with is w/ regards to power-cycling.  It's a safe statement for someone that's a casual web-browser or email checker, or for a homework computer.  However, any heavy gamers (pc-based or online) or developers (websites, databases, photo and video editing, programmers, etc...) will definitely want to do a system dump daily.  There is just too much garbage that lingers (you'd be surprised how many processes don't terminate after you exit a program), and hibernate doesn't do anything to clear out the memory cache (in fact, it actually take up hard-drive space, so that when the computer comes out of hibernation, everything is returned to the original state).

PogoCrazyMomma

good read but I must disagree with them on the spilling of drinks on your keyboard, I spilled soda all over it, did the upside down thing to let it come out and dry and keys stuck so bad I could type and some didn't work at all, I had to by a new one .I highly doubt that I am the only one who had to replace a keyboard after a spill.  :o

Tara

Ive taken a keyboard apart because of a spill and cleaned it up with alchol and it worked again just fine O0

wattsmyname

I don't and won't let anyone have a drink around the computer. I would not want to deal with the mess O0

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview