PlayBuddy
September 10, 2024, 07:24:28 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Merge Academy : Complete 20 orders this week! [Download Cheat]
Snowbird Solitaire : Make 260 streaks this week! [Download Cheat]
Payday Freecell HD : Place 300 cards in the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Homer's PSA's

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

PunkInDrublic

just wanted to let everyone know that there's a new email out trying to phish your paypal info and the link looks really legitimate. NEVER NEVER click on links in email. My dad and I both got the same email yesterday... I forwarded mine to the paypal fraud people. My dad doesn't even have a paypal account  :))

Tara

If you do ebay you get the same crap...I get them for ebay and paypal all the time...I just send to spoof@ebay or spoof@paypal....but they still come....just remember they will never ask you for personal information in a email

nanners

I got both of those e mails.and we don't have paypal account either.. and I"ve reported the e-bay one to a live tech one evening. So beware folks

Homer

March 21, eWeek - Spyware trail leads to Kazaa, big advertisers.

The StopBadware.org coalition, funded by Google, has listed the Kazaa
file? sharing application at the top of a list of noxious software programs
that present a threat to business and consumer users. The coalition, which
counts Sun Microsystems and Lenovo among its sponsors, will recommend in
its inaugural Badware Report that users stay away from Kazaa and three
other programs that can be combined with Trojans and bots for use in data
theft attacks. Adware and spyware programs that come bundled with
peer?to?peer applications present a huge security risk to corporate
networks, and StopBadware.org says Kazaa's claim to be spyware?free cannot
be trusted. In addition to Kazaa, StopBadware.org said computer users
should stay away SpyAxe, a rogue anti?spyware program; MediaPipe, a
download manager that offers access to media content; and Waterfalls 3, a
screensaver utility. StopBadware.org

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

SexySagittarian

I hate to admit just how computer illiterite I am but the only thing i recognized in Homer's PSA were the words "Sun Microsoft". Is this a warning to get rid of it  and if so, how do we do that?   Again. sorry for being so stupid! :-\

foxx

Don't call yourself stupid PogoSlave!  I think that you are okay as long as you haven't ever downloaded from kazaa...

...and Don't delete Sun Microsystems...that's Java and you need that to play games!

SexySagittarian

vasunlover

Thanks alot as always:)                ee2.1.gif

foxx

Homer

It mentions Sun because they are one of the sponsors of the website www.stopbadware.org

LastCall

well my computer
is kicking the bed my sludge hammer is coming out hmm nice operation
   I will remove the hard drive and do a research great information homer
       Thanks O0

Homer

April 11, IT Observer - Web Rebates program a security risk for computer
users. Security experts at MicroWorld Technologies are stating that a new
variant of the "WebRebates" program, "Win32.WebRebates.s," is a serious
security risk for computer users. WebRebates claims to offer rebates and
discounts when purchasing items on Internet, however it's found to be a
Spyware, Adware and a security hazard in many ways. This program monitors
browser activity and other operations on your PC. It also pesters your
computer with annoying pop-ups, apart from clogging your mailbox with
spam.

WebRebates comes bundled with many software utilities. Once installed, it
tries to get additional malware from a series of Websites.

hades

bubblegum

oh hey...LOL thought I'd share this.  I had some guy from Nigera contact me and say he needed money to come back to the states blah blah.....he asked if I could come down there to help him get a passport.  I worte back and said sure, but only if my friends Mr. Spock and Pavel Chekov could come with me.  I signed the email as Jean-Luke Picard.  He wrote back saying he couldn't afford to send me money to come down there but I told him I'd pick him up at the airport in Salt Lake City ( very far away from where I actually live and no way in heck was I going to meet him anyway.) I told him after he got out of customs, to wear all yellow and a green hat and to flap his arms like a chicken and squeal like a pig so I would know it was him.  He wrote back saying I was crazy and he no longer needed my help-however was Mr. Spock and Pavel Chekov willing to help him?  It's been two weeks now and not a word from him.  :))

Tara

Quote from: bubblegum on April 22, 2006, 11:32:49 AM
oh hey...LOL thought I'd share this.  I had some guy from Nigera contact me and say he needed money to come back to the states blah blah.....he asked if I could come down there to help him get a passport.  I worte back and said sure, but only if my friends Mr. Spock and Pavel Chekov could come with me.  I signed the email as Jean-Luke Picard.  He wrote back saying he couldn't afford to send me money to come down there but I told him I'd pick him up at the airport in Salt Lake City ( very far away from where I actually live and no way in heck was I going to meet him anyway.) I told him after he got out of customs, to wear all yellow and a green hat and to flap his arms like a chicken and squeal like a pig so I would know it was him.  He wrote back saying I was crazy and he no longer needed my help-however was Mr. Spock and Pavel Chekov willing to help him?  It's been two weeks now and not a word from him.  :))

Are you in left field or right field?   :))

bubblegum

Quote from: Tara on April 22, 2006, 11:34:21 AM

Are you in left field or right field?   :))

I really don't think this guy caught the star trek references.  Next time, if there is one, I'm going to go for star wars references.

I'm so far in left field I'll fall over if the wind blows right  :))

TmT

Quote from: Homer on April 22, 2006, 11:14:27 AM
spam.

Do you have any advise about the best spyware protection to use... I use
SpyBot and WeBroot, Spy Sweeper.  So, can either of these control the attack of the above... I have gotten rid of web rebate...had that b4.

Helen

Bubble, that is extremely hilarious. I like they way you handled him!! Good job.  :))  O0

Homer

Quote from: Tokenstokenstokens on April 22, 2006, 11:36:23 AM
Quote from: Homer on April 22, 2006, 11:14:27 AM
spam.

Do you have any advise about the best spyware protection to use... I use
SpyBot and WeBroot, Spy Sweeper.  So, can either of these control the attack of the above... I have gotten rid of web rebate...had that b4.

I never had that program but I use SpySweeper and I have to say in my opinion it's one of the best programs I've used. I've never had an issue with spyware since purchasing this program.

PC Magazine had SpySweeper rated as their #1 spyware program but the downside is it isn't free.

There are 2 other programs that are free that are highly reguarded as well.

Ad-Aware
SpyBot S&D

Now if you choose to go with the free programs I suggest you get them both. When I used them in the past sometimes one program wouldn't find something but the other would.

I suggest you try them all and use what you feel comfortable with. SpySweeper has a free 30 day trial. O0

I forgot to mention that one of the most important things when combatting spyware/viruses etc is to make sure your programs are using the latest definitions. New bugs come out daily so it is important to keep your programs up to date.

TmT

Quote from: Homer on April 22, 2006, 12:14:19 PM

I never had that program but I use SpySweeper and I have to say in my opinion it's one of the best programs I've used. I've never had an issue with spyware since purchasing this program.

PC Magazine had SpySweeper rated as their #1 spyware program but the downside is it isn't free.

There are 2 other programs that are free that are highly reguarded as well.

Ad-Aware
SpyBot S&D

Now if you choose to go with the free programs I suggest you get them both. When I used them in the past sometimes one program wouldn't find something but the other would.

I suggest you try them all and use what you feel comfortable with. SpySweeper has a free 30 day trial. O0

I forgot to mention that one of the most important things when combatting spyware/viruses etc is to make sure your programs are using the latest definitions. New bugs come out daily so it is important to keep your programs up to date.

[/quote]

I use spy sweeper and yes... I had to purchase it... I use spybot as a back up search... normally.... they work hand in hand in catchin adware/spyware that the other may have missed.

Although, spybot is free... I actually did not d/l it from the web... I got it from a friend that scanned it for virus... b4 I d/l it... I also scanned it... then installed.

I got web rebates b4 i added spyware protection...

Its absolutely impossible to get or prevent "all spyware" or "adware"... some software programs we use also have adware that programmers find neccessary for various reason to install that is not harmful. (Computer Geek) nah....

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview