PlayBuddy
September 10, 2024, 07:25:08 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Merge Academy : Complete 20 orders this week! [Download Cheat]
Snowbird Solitaire : Make 260 streaks this week! [Download Cheat]
Payday Freecell HD : Place 300 cards in the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Homer's PSA's

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

TmT

aah crap.. I screwed that quote up... lol... sorry Homer...butchered another post... lol

SaintHiρρo

Quote from: Tokenstokenstokens on April 22, 2006, 12:23:10 PM
Quote from: Homer on April 22, 2006, 12:14:19 PM
I never had that program but I use SpySweeper and I have to say in my opinion it's one of the best programs I've used. I've never had an issue with spyware since purchasing this program.

PC Magazine had SpySweeper rated as their #1 spyware program but the downside is it isn't free.

There are 2 other programs that are free that are highly reguarded as well.

Ad-Aware
SpyBot S&D

Now if you choose to go with the free programs I suggest you get them both. When I used them in the past sometimes one program wouldn't find something but the other would.

I suggest you try them all and use what you feel comfortable with. SpySweeper has a free 30 day trial. O0

I forgot to mention that one of the most important things when combatting spyware/viruses etc is to make sure your programs are using the latest definitions. New bugs come out daily so it is important to keep your programs up to date.

I use spy sweeper and yes... I had to purchase it... I use spybot as a back up search... normally.... they work hand in hand in catchin adware/spyware that the other may have missed.

Although, spybot is free... I actually did not d/l it from the web... I got it from a friend that scanned it for virus... b4 I d/l it... I also scanned it... then installed.

I got web rebates b4 i added spyware protection...

Its absolutely impossible to get or prevent "all spyware" or "adware"... some software programs we use also have adware that programmers find neccessary for various reason to install that is not harmful. (Computer Geek) nah....

I use Spy Sweeper all the time. Yes I have a full version (not the 30 day trial). I need to find out when it expires since I've had it since last year. Anyway, I totally endorse this product. I've used Ad-Aware & SpyBot (I think I'm one of the few that did not like SpyBot) and Yahoo! Anti-Spy. Can't complain about the results. I've also used Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 (rare use of a MS Beta software) and I thought it was great. They released Beta 2 and it sucked compared to the 1st one. Anyway, Spy Sweeper is the program to use. For the price, it's a great value. I recommend if you have a few extra dollars to spend (not that anyone does in these gas price days), get this program!

nanners

I use Spybot and Adaware..both work super for me..and AVG for anti virus.. all are free.What can I say, I"m cheap! :))

Helen

Quote from: nanners on April 22, 2006, 01:56:48 PM
I use Spybot and Adaware..both work super for me..and AVG for anti virus.. all are free.What can I say, I"m cheap! :))

There's nothing wrong with that Nan. If it works for you, that's all that matters. I have Webroot Spy Sweeper. They gave me a huge discount on it when I bought the new computer. That's why I got it, otherwise I might have gone the "free" route!!  O0

Libra

Quote from: nanners on April 22, 2006, 01:56:48 PM

I have Norton and AVG at work.  The firm paid for Norton, and as you said, AVG is free.  AVG finds things that Norton doesn't.   ;:"

nanners

I was told by the dude that hooked my computer up not to use Norton ..Its a system hog and don't catch everything.. So I went to my next best friend ...Google! Found AVG and love it. <3

bubblegum

I'm laughing so hard right now.  I got another one of those Nigerian scam email things today.  Well, since I already used star trek I thought I'd throw in star wars this time. So before going out to run some errands, I wrote back.

I told him my full name was Princess Leia and my brother Luke and I don't take kindly to scammers.  I also told him I have a pet Chewbacca named Ewok and he bites.

I also told him to quit scamming people or the FBI was going to send in the
special forces called the Stormtroopers and they are led by our father Anakin Skywalker and his friend Yoda.   :)) :)) :))  

He replied fairly quickly saying he was the real deal and he was willing to send me 5% of 10 million dollars if I helped him (yea okay buddy whatever)and he asked how big of a dog a chewbacca is.  He also said I should be proud my father works for the government and it must be an honor to have a father in that high of a ranking position.

At this point I don't know if I should humor myself and email him back to see how far along I can string him before he figures out he's getting jack crap out of me.

:)) :)) :))

nanners

I've tried playing with their minds to..but all I got was "email undeliverable".. idiots! lol

Helen

Bubble, got to love your sense of humor. Is this from the same guy or a different one? It depends on whether or not you want to keep yanking his chain....write back till you get bored with it, lol. :))

bubblegum

Quote from: Helen on April 22, 2006, 04:46:03 PM
Bubble, got to love your sense of humor. Is this from the same guy or a different one? It depends on whether or not you want to keep yanking his chain....write back till you get bored with it, lol. :))

differnt name and differnt email addy so I'm assuming its a different guy.  I'll figure out something to tell him. :))

Helen

Quote from: bubblegum on April 22, 2006, 04:49:22 PM
Quote from: Helen on April 22, 2006, 04:46:03 PM

differnt name and differnt email addy so I'm assuming its a different guy.  I'll figure out something to tell him. :))

I'd love to hear the next story!!! lol

Nan, doesn't that make ya mad when you want to mess with them and then the email doesn't go through??  :))

nanners

BOY! does it ever! I feverishy type some cute comeback only to have it COME BACK! to me! LMAO! Then i'm really mad! The nerve!

Homer

April 26, WJACTV 6 (PA) - Pennsylvania bank issues scam warning. First
National Bank (FNB) in Pennsylvania warns that some customers may be the
victims of an e-mail scam. The statement on the bank's Website claims that
someone sent e-mail to some customers stating that an FNB account had been
disabled. The e-mail then asked recipients to click a link. That link took
them to a site which looked like the FNB site, which prompted them for
account numbers. Bank officials aren't sure how many people received the
fraudulent e-mail or how many responded.

Source: http://www.wjactv.com/news/9016499/detail.html?rss=john&psp=news

Homer's extra tip. Never click on these links in your emails. If you need to go to a site do not use the URL in the email. Manually type the official URL in your browser.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

lostinpogoland

thank you homer some of these things i wouldn't have thought of and i use ad-ware it works for.......bubblegum your wit is priceless thanks for laughs :))

Homer

Quote from: lostinpogoland on April 28, 2006, 05:11:14 PM
thank you homer some of these things i wouldn't have thought of and i use ad-ware it works for.......bubblegum your wit is priceless thanks for laughs :))

AdAware is a fine program but it will not detect a fraudulent website. That's why I suggest that people type the URL rather than click the links in the email.

lostinpogoland

i never click the links in e-mails,i did when i 1st starting using computer and kept getting virus but thank you for the advise O0

Helen

Thanks for the info Homer. I don't click on anything in emails either. Also, pass on that email to the fraud department of the particular bank....etc. They will check into it and have that ISP investigated. ;)

Homer

This is a particularly sophisticated and devious scam

The way it works is you pick up a "Trojan" while cruising the Web. The Trojan sits quietly on your machine until you go to the secure American Express Web Site.

At that point the Trojan pops up a screen to cover the legitimate AMEX Login-in Screen using a technique known as a Browser Helper Object.

The fake screen issues a "Security Alert" which tries to lure the user into entering name, social security number, mother's maiden name and date of birth

In an alert posted on-line the New York-based company included a screenshot of the pop-up. Amex further states "Please note that this fraudulent activity may be the result of a computer virus and is not a part of the American Express website. If you received this pop-up box, your computer may have this virus," the company warned.

The Pop-Up Box looks like this:

SaintHiρρo

Wow, they're really trying hard to get people to give over personal information. That would have fooled me for sure. Thanks for sharing.

nanners

thanx Homer.. I'd never give out ss info anyway.but some things look so real..  :oo

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview