PlayBuddy
September 10, 2024, 07:32:27 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Merge Academy : Complete 20 orders this week! [Download Cheat]
Snowbird Solitaire : Make 260 streaks this week! [Download Cheat]
Payday Freecell HD : Place 300 cards in the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Homer's PSA's

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

Tara

Quote from: SaintHippo on May 05, 2006, 10:36:56 AM
Wow, they're really trying hard to get people to give over personal information. That would have fooled me for sure. Thanks for sharing.

You know you wouldn't of filled that out... Sheesh are you blonde also?   :)) :))

SaintHiρρo

Quote from: Tara on May 05, 2006, 03:46:51 PM
Wow, they're really trying hard to get people to give over personal information. That would have fooled me for sure. Thanks for sharing.

You know you wouldn't of filled that out... Sheesh are you blonde also?   :)) :))

Well, since the sites I go to for my po.... possible game playing sites don't have any need for my SSN, I think maybe I wouldn't have been fooled by that.

Tara

Quote from: SaintHippo on May 05, 2006, 03:48:33 PM
Quote from: Tara on May 05, 2006, 03:46:51 PM

Well, since the sites I go to for my po.... possible game playing sites don't have any need for my SSN, I think maybe I wouldn't have been fooled by that.

I don't put my social security number anywhere and if people online don't take Paypal , they don't get my money.

lostinpogoland

best thing to do when  in doubt is to call place of business.better not to take a chance.because these things do look very official Ty  homer ;:"

Helen

Quote from: Homer on May 05, 2006, 07:05:10 AM
This is a particularly sophisticated and devious scam

The way it works is you pick up a "Trojan" while cruising the Web. The Trojan sits quietly on your machine until you go to the secure American Express Web Site.

At that point the Trojan pops up a screen to cover the legitimate AMEX Login-in Screen using a technique known as a Browser Helper Object.

The fake screen issues a "Security Alert" which tries to lure the user into entering name, social security number, mother's maiden name and date of birth

In an alert posted on-line the New York-based company included a screenshot of the pop-up. Amex further states "Please note that this fraudulent activity may be the result of a computer virus and is not a part of the American Express website. If you received this pop-up box, your computer may have this virus," the company warned.

The Pop-Up Box looks like this:

Thanks for posting this Homer.  ;)

Homer

May 22, IDG News Service - Yahoo messaging worm installs bogus browser.

Malware writers have created a new worm that installs a new browser, plays

screeching music and dumps a graphic on the victim's desktop. It starts with

a link to a so-called "Safety Browser" apparently sent by a friend in Yahoo

Inc.'s instant messaging program. Instant messaging security company

FaceTime Communications Inc. described the malware, which it called

"yhoo32.explr", as "insidious" in a security advisory Friday, May 19. The

bug also hijacks Internet Explorer's homepage, directing users to the Safety

Browser's Websit

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

hades

good to know homer.glad i stay away from yahoo  :)

krispy

if i dont use a yahoo browser, i dont think this will affect me, correct?

nanners

I myself,,use yahoo messenger..but not their browser.and also have yahoo mail..I have had no problems what so-ever *knock on wood*.. I use my webcam with yahoo also..

krispy

Homer

Quote from: krispy on May 25, 2006, 08:48:55 AM

Depends on whether or not you clicked the link that installs the bogus browser.

krispy

Quote from: Homer on May 25, 2006, 09:28:45 AM
Quote from: krispy on May 25, 2006, 08:48:55 AM

Depends on whether or not you clicked the link that installs the bogus browser.

well i dont click links to add anything so i believe i am ok. ty.

lostinpogoland

Homer

Homer

Company: Hackers can crack top antivirus program

Friday, May 26, 2006; Posted: 12:08 p.m. EDT (16:08 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Symantec Corp.'s leading antivirus software, which protects some of the world's largest corporations and U.S. government agencies, suffers from a flaw that lets hackers seize control of computers to steal sensitive data, delete files or implant malicious programs, researchers said Thursday.

Symantec said it was investigating the issue but could not immediately corroborate the vulnerability. If confirmed, the threat to computer users would be severe because the security software is so widely used and because no action is required by victims using the latest versions of Symantec Antivirus to suffer a crippling attack over the Internet.

Symantec has boasted that its antivirus products are installed on more than 200 million computers. A spokesman, Mike Bradshaw, said the company was examining the reported flaw but described it as "so new that we don't have any details."

Researchers from eEye Digital Security Inc. of Aliso Viejo, California, discovered the vulnerability and provided evidence to Symantec engineers this week, said eEye's chief hacking officer, Marc Maiffret. He demonstrated the attack for The Associated Press.

eEye said it appeared consumer versions of Symantec's Norton Antivirus software -- sold at retail outlets around the country -- were not vulnerable to the flaw, though consumers who are provided Symantec's corporate edition antivirus software by their employers for use at home may be affected.

Maiffret's company -- which has discovered hundreds of similar flaws in other software products -- also produces intrusion-protection software, called "Blink," that he said already blocks such attacks and can operate alongside Symantec's antivirus products.

Maiffret published a note about the company's discovery on its Web site but pledged not to reveal details publicly that would help hackers attack Internet users until after Symantec repairs its antivirus software. eEye said it intends to describe the problem in detail privately for some of its largest customers.

"People shouldn't panic," Maiffret said. "There shouldn't be any exploits until a patch is produced."

The reported flaw comes at an awkward time for Symantec. Its chief executive, John Thompson, has campaigned in recent months to convince consumers they should trust Symantec -- not Microsoft Corp. -- to protect their personal information.

Maiffret said eEye's testing showed the problem affects Symantec Antivirus Version 10, including its corporate editions. He said Symantec's consumer antivirus product, known as Norton Antivirus 2006, and its current security suite -- which includes both antivirus and firewall features -- did not appear to be vulnerable.

Homer

May 30, Tech Web - Trojan horse BeastPWS-C: The second Trojan to pose as

Microsoft patch. . According to Sophos, the

Trojan horse "BeastPWS-C" starts with a spoofed e-mail from Microsoft that

claims a new vulnerability in the WinLogon Service is out and about.

WinLogon is the log-in service for Windows NT, 2000, and XP. The spammed

message includes a link to a purported patch. Users who click on the URL

actually download the Trojan, not a patch. BeastPWS-C, said Sophos, logs

keystrokes and sends them to a hacker's e-mail account.

Homer

A Good Reason to Use Your Credit Card

Scammers have a number of ways to steal from you, but the credit card is losing popularity among the criminal class.

Today, a scammer would rather get access to your bank account number than your credit card.

With the bank account number, he can access your account and take all the money in it. The only disadvantage to the scammer is that the bank account may have very little money in it at the time it's tapped.

That's why some scams require the victim to wire the money to the scammer.

By having victims wire the money, the scammer cuts off any trail once the scam has been discovered. The money cannot be traced and it can't be recovered.

Lately, scammers have discovered PayPal, a company that was set up to facilitate money transfers between buyers and sellers on eBay.

While this is a popular way to make transactions via the internet, legitimate enterprises usually accept checks and credit cards as well.

But PayPal payments can't be traced, since PayPal's policy is to keep all customer records private.

If a deal limits your payment options to direct bank account withdrawal, wire transfer, or PayPal, chances are good it's a scam.

flgal

wow thanks for the info. I have my old computer just sitting waiting for a new home. Did not think to take out hard drive. Homer saves the day!!!! u still like ur cakie?

Homer

Tell Your Kids:

New IM worm targets MySpace users. Security teams have discovered a new instant messenger (IM)-based phishing attack aimed at users of the popular social networking site MySpace. The scam begins when AOL IM users receive a hyperlink promising new photos from someone in their contact list. But clicking the link leads the victim to a bogus California-based Website that spoofs the MySpace.com log-in page, according to a Websense Security Labs alert. The fraudulent site captures MySpace usernames and passwords, and then forwards users to the real site.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview