Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Computer Geeks

Started by touitsjesse,

Previous topic - Next topic

touitsjesse

Ok, heres the situation:

I have a Emachines and recently has had problems getting it to run. One night the computer just started to click, constantly. At the point the computer would not turn on, but would continue to click when the power was connected. I was told that the power supply was possibly bad and should have it changed. Well today i hooked up a new power supply, the same exact model and now i still continue to get a clicking, but the only difference now than before is the CPU fan is running, but still no access to anything, not even a basic boot-up. Any guidance would be appreciated and elementary jargon is not neccessary.

Helen

I'm by no means a computer geek and feel bad for you. I know it might be stupid to ask but is your monitor on? Maybe someone shut it off by accident and the computer is really working, you just don't see it.

Homer

Just a guess here but if your fan wasn't providing proper ventilation it's possible your pc is fried.

I hope you had any important docs backed up.

Can you get in by starting in Safe Mode? You can access Safe Mode by restarting the pc and pressing the F8 key upon restart. This should give you access to Safe Mode. Although if your pc is fried you won't be able to access this either.

If you have your info backed up you could try using your restore cd's that generally come with most pc's. This will restore your pc to it's original factory condition.

Again I warn you before trying you will lose any info not backed up.

If you decide you want to try it put the restore cd in you cd-rom drive and restart your pc. If it isn't fried it should begin restoring your pc. If nothing happens you may be out of luck.

Another option would be to let the Geek Squad take a shot at it.

Good Luck! O0

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

bra

I hate when computers act up. Its a pain in the ass most of the times. GL with your situation. sp.gf

SI

Other than the fans (inside the power supply & the processor fan), are you getting any beep codes (the beeps you here when the computer starts up)?  Also, are there are any LED indicators on your tower/motherboard that are lighting up?  This could help determine if power is being distributed thoroughly across the board.

Now this is not meant to sound insulting or derisive, but did you make sure that the voltage on your new supply is set at 110v; the reason I say this is because they are often defaulted to 220v.  A lot of ppl don't know that, orl don't know to check it.  Another thing I'd check, as long as you've got the case open, is for any signs of charring/corrosion on the power sockets, as well as the traces running to the other components.

hades

your processor may have been burnt out.thats one of the first things to go with a bad power supply.

Tori

My old puter did similar things until I cleaned all the dust bunnies out..not sure this has anything to do with it..but it sure helped mine...they had taken up residence quickly and produced with glee

touitsjesse

115 V, i have lights, my fans are runing and no i cant even open the cd drawer  and cant any further than just supplying power via flipping on the power. i get no beeps, just constant clicking and yes i think im smart enought to check to see if the monitor is on.

Homer

It doesn't sound good.

You may be able to open your cd-rom. If you look at it closely you should see a little pin hole. If you can stick a pin in there it should open it. It's an emergency release mechanism.

Good luck although it doesn't sound promising.

SI

I hate to say it, but I think Hades is right.  Sounds like either your processor or motherboard are fried.  The only other thing I can think to try would be to re-seat the components (you'd be surprised how often that works), though if you pull the processor, make sure to have heat sink compound handy.

If you look for new components, I recommend PriceWatch: http://www.pricewatch.com/

Homer

If your pc is fried you can get nice ones these days for about $300.

It all depends what you use your pc for.

magnet

It's possible that it might be your hard drive.  Had an older computer that clicked when I turned it on and it turned out to be the hard drive.  Replaced it and it was fine.  Course I lost all my data but I didn't have to replace my computer. 

Good luck hope you get it going.

Brandon493

Quote from: Homer on March 04, 2006, 05:19:01 PM
Just a guess here but if your fan wasn't providing proper ventilation it's possible your pc is fried.

I hope you had any important docs backed up.

Can you get in by starting in Safe Mode? You can access Safe Mode by restarting the pc and pressing the F8 key upon restart. This should give you access to Safe Mode. Although if your pc is fried you won't be able to access this either.

If you have your info backed up you could try using your restore cd's that generally come with most pc's. This will restore your pc to it's original factory condition.

Again I warn you before trying you will lose any info not backed up.

If you decide you want to try it put the restore cd in you cd-rom drive and restart your pc. If it isn't fried it should begin restoring your pc. If nothing happens you may be out of luck.

Another option would be to let the Geek Squad take a shot at it.

Good Luck! O0

Geek Squad ...ick. lol...I just got my computer back today and it worked worse than it did before I gave it to them to fix, and it cost me $156....gotta take it back to them again tomorrow..lol

Brandon493

Now that I think about it, when I had my old laptop...it started clicking and it was the processor or hard drive that had went bad or something...don't exactly remember now.

nightperson

omg i have had friends have them to fix it and they did more damage then ever they finialy went and just a new onw them ppl are so not geek

PogoCrazyMomma

I am not a comp. whiz but I did burn out my power supply by it collecting way too much dust and dirt, they told me if I had waited any longer  that I would have fried the computer. Luckily this happened 2 days before my warranty ran out, my computer is fine now and I am keeping up on keeping it clean, but it sounds like it may have been too late for you and your comp. may be totally fried just my opinion though. for your sake I hope its not!!!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview