Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

IF you are using Norton Security Suite 2005 or 2006 please read

Started by BadgeBabe,

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgeBabe

What is Norton Internet Security Suite 2005 or 2006? It is NOT Norton AV only.Norton AV should be safe and compatable with all Agents.
Norton Security Suite  is a bundled package of applications sold by Symantec for around $100 ( for the 2006 version, obviously).

It has anti-spyware, AV, Firewall, Parental Controls and tons of buried  bells and whistles which want to " auto configure".
There were 45 different processes loaded onto my computer and constantly running which were a part of Norton Security Suite. That's enormous for a home PC.

I have had intermittant " wonkiness" with almost all but the most basic of my helper autos since I bought the 150 package. I knew it was probably partly my PC but I didn't know how to find out or what to do.

I did a test today. I have 2 computers which are almost identical, the main difference being that one was fully loaded with Norton's Internet Security Suite and the other is running a commercial AV and unobtrusive firewall only.

I downloaded a trial version of an Agent I have been having trouble with to my computer with the simpler security measures.
Sure enough, it ran smoothly and without any hangs or misses.

I tried to find the specific part of Norton Security Suite which was causing the Helper Agents not to work correctly and finally decided that the numerous processes running simply slow the transmission of data down to the point that the games do not run smoothly with an Agent.
( I should add that these are top of the line home PCs with max RAM and quality specs, not old or slow systems).

So, IF you are having any problems with Agent helpers on a chronic basis, you might want to try using a computer without the same enormous security resources running in the background or doing what I did and uninstalling the entire package and putting something tried and true on the computer system.

There were 45 separate Processes constantly  running which were loaded by Symantec and which I could not modify.
They are now history.

GLTA, and I hope that this will help someone else. That's why I am posting it. :)

Tori

tyvm for posting this

I have Norton System Works and Norton Internet Security on my newer puter and have not had any problems with autos running (knocking on wood now) lol

On my older computer, which had less RAM there would be conflicts, however, I could usually resolve them and the autos worked enough to say "it works"

I have lots of RAM on newer puter and seems to go fine..but with less ram, I would definitely have problems.

I love Norton tho has kept me safe for years  :)

BadgeBabe

I absolutely agree with you that Norton AV products are wonderful and have also kept all our family's computers safe since AV software was made available. :)
Remember the dreaded BSOD ( blue screen of death) before we had Win XP and good AV?
It was awful.

The Norton Security Suite is like water dripping through a funnel when it comes to the auto helper communicating with some of the games, though. It filters everything two or three ways and that is the slowdown, not computer processor speed or RAM.
I have an extremely fast connection ( right now it's at 54 Mbps) and over 2 GB of Ram on this notebook PC ( the basic one- the other one is playing Squelchies, LOL), so it's not either of my notebooks or the autos. It was a relief to get the security suite off one of my notebooks. :)

I would never advise anyone to delete AV ware. I am a strong advocate of AV protection, especially if a person is running Windows OS.
I just wanted to make that clear to everyone. I would not say anything to jeopardize your online security.

nightperson

yes it is keep everything up to date mine are fine which i have heard ppl saying tha it has cause some problems on the pogo site to

nanners

Blu

Many ppl run 2 firewalls b/c they don't know better. I disable Nortons and use Windows firewall...plus a router.

Shunter_64

I have norton internet security suite 2006 on all 6 off  my computers and i have not had any problems with it regarding autos.

I have a 10meg broadband connection running through a wireless router, i have 2gb off ram with a 3.5 amd proccessor.

I use nortons firewall and it works very well it has kept my computers safe for years.

nightperson

yes my son-in-law is a puter person and he makes sure both my puters are up to date on all the is to be up to date on so i have to leave it up to him i know the internet i have sone on the puters but he know what is good for the puters so i let him do his thing  O0

Country Lady

I know that Norton internet security will cause problems, my daughter has to  disable it just to play on pogo at all.
But I have had Norton System Works for several years and have no problems with it while running autos.  Granted I have always had winxp and newer coputers since discovering autos.  I also have lots and lots of ram.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview