Pogo Daily Sudoku : Score 60000 points this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Addiction Solitaire HD : Win 28 games this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

World Baseball Classic

Started by RuLeR,

Previous topic - Next topic

RuLeR

Post who you think will win and why.

Italy because there team is vey well balacned and has a chance to beat the us or demonican republic

Mary

lets see baseball the usa will win due to the great teams of the oakland As and the SF giants  :))  :))  :))

SaintHiρρo

I don't think USA will win because they don't care enough. Almost all the "good" players have pulled out except those representing their countries who's initals aren't "U" "S" "A". I actually hope they don't win because it will once again prove that the US isn't the powerhouse in "american sports" they thought they were.

hades

i think usa mighttttt win.lol thats as far as ill go to say lol

SI

I'm picking Venezuela.  Why?  Two reasons:

1. Carlos Zambrano
2. Johan Santana

Yeah, their bats might not be that dominant, but none of the teams in the classic could truly be considered powerhouses (with regards to the players that actually compete in MLB).  I think dominant pitching is going to be the key.

bobby

Ethan_Hawley

Watching USA v. Canada right now in the bottom of the 9th.  US losing 6-8.  :-\

Would love to see US win.  I have tickets for the semi-finals and finals in Petco Park!  Got them late so they're obstructed view (still not bad seats though, just can't see all of the left field corner).

Honestly my money is on Dominican Republic...they're stacked at every spot in their lineup.

bobby

hades

SaintHiρρo

Well, you should pretty much count the US out:

The United States (1-1) must beat South Africa on Friday to stay alive in the 16-nation tournament. Even then, the Americans aren't assured of advancing to the second round. If Mexico, Canada and the United States finish 2-1, the tie would be broken by fewest runs allowed per inning.

Blu

I predict this tournament is dumb. Baseball didn't need this.

SaintHiρρo

Quote from: BluRaven on March 08, 2006, 06:14:39 PM
I predict this tournament is dumb. Baseball didn't need this.

LoL, how can you predict something we already know about?

Ethan_Hawley

I disagree.  I think the timing is poor, definitely.  No major league club can afford to lose a starter this early into spring training.  But ultimately I hope this thing gets big.  Maybe have it after the world series every year, I don't know. 

Also, I think some ball clubs with players on less dominant teams might be excited about their minor leaguers getting at-bats against big name pitchers, or young pitchers going against all-star lineups. 

Do you think this is how Canucks feel when we beat them in hockey?   :P

Blu

It just seems like it proves nothing. I'm really into all sports, but this and basketball world championships are just ways to show how other countries organize national teams better. Many teams are military men that are athletes & payed via the military to play the sport as a team! You can't throw an all-star line-up together and say, "Go win a World Title," ie...Team USA basketball. A team needs stars & role players, not a stacked line-up.

RuLeR

Hold on a second now.  Your saying soccer world wide is dum as well as the other sports.  This is them competeting for there own country and I know that all you would do so if you had the talent.  This is not dumb its a matter of seeing these countrys play and if it was so dumb Bluraven why does the attendace go sky high?

Blu

Quote from: RuLeR on March 09, 2006, 04:11:12 PM
Hold on a second now.  Your saying soccer world wide is dum as well as the other sports.  This is them competeting for there own country and I know that all you would do so if you had the talent.  This is not dumb its a matter of seeing these countrys play and if it was so dumb Bluraven why does the attendace go sky high?
First, I never included soccer. World Cup is different because national soccer teams have more prep together. Second, I watched yesterdays Cuba/Panama game & saw hundreds of empty seats. Here's food for thought from SI writer Jon Weisman:
"What do the fans in places where baseball is embryonic, such as China, gain from an 18-2 loss like the one China suffered to Japan last week? What do the fans in places where baseball is established, like Japan, have to gain from seeing their same old players in one-sided games on their home turf? Judging by the four-figure attendance in Tokyo, not much....Amazingly for an endeavor that is designed to promote the American national pastime around the world, WBC games are being played in only one city outside of the United States and its territories: Tokyo. Admittedly, there are logistical problems with each distant city you bring the tournament to, but if you can't solve those for a long weekend, you've probably got little hope for internationalizing the sport in the near future."

bobby

Quote from: BluRaven on March 09, 2006, 04:49:30 PM
Quote from: RuLeR on March 09, 2006, 04:11:12 PM
First, I never included soccer. World Cup is different because national soccer teams have more prep together. Second, I watched yesterdays Cuba/Panama game & saw hundreds of empty seats. Here's food for thought from SI writer Jon Weisman:
"What do the fans in places where baseball is embryonic, such as China, gain from an 18-2 loss like the one China suffered to Japan last week? What do the fans in places where baseball is established, like Japan, have to gain from seeing their same old players in one-sided games on their home turf? Judging by the four-figure attendance in Tokyo, not much....Amazingly for an endeavor that is designed to promote the American national pastime around the world, WBC games are being played in only one city outside of the United States and its territories: Tokyo. Admittedly, there are logistical problems with each distant city you bring the tournament to, but if you can't solve those for a long weekend, you've probably got little hope for internationalizing the sport in the near future."
most baseball games are one-sided

bobby

if usa wins this one, you'll hear alot of controversy

bobby

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview