Bejeweled Stars : Win 35 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Daily Sudoku : Score 60000 points this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Addiction Solitaire HD : Win 28 games this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Does anyone crochet?

Started by missminimouse,

Previous topic - Next topic

missminimouse

Anybody here an experienced crocheter who could help me out a little.    I'm trying to teach myself and I'm having trouble with a pattern,   think I keep messing it up.  This is the 3rd time I've started over and I'm starting to get frustrated and want to give up,   but I've got so many ideas for other projects I'd like to try.  Anyone who's really good at crocheting and reading patterns,  please PM me and I'll PM you my pattern and see if you can translate to english for me. 
I thought I understood the pattern finally,  but i'm on my 2nd row now and it's just not looking right,  so I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong so I can try to straighten it out before I give up.   Thanks!!

crankycook

missminimouse, pm me, I do crochet, and can probably help you out

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Tara

Quote from: Homer on March 29, 2006, 02:24:33 PM
No, but I like chicken croquettes.  :P

Omg...and you probably eat them while you play croquet to?   :))

Homer

Quote from: Tara on March 29, 2006, 02:38:29 PM

Nope. I leave that to the "Heathers" :P

Tara

Quote from: Homer on March 29, 2006, 03:04:04 PM

I don't know who the Heathers are  :-\

wattsmyname

I crochet thanks to the autos playing on Pogo for me.
I can help

Marjorie

Homer

Quote from: Tara on March 29, 2006, 05:20:32 PM

Try watching the movie.  :P

nightperson

homer is there any food you dont like but me i like to see a man eat food and ya ya drink there beer cant for get that homer e4.gif>

missminimouse

Thanks to all the replies,  I actually got the answer I was looking for from Cranky.   I've decided the pattern I was working on was way too difficult for a beginner,  so I'm just going to make a blanket just using the double crochet stitch. 
I'd like to begin some other projects once I'm done with this.  I want to make hats and mittens for my children for winter,   afghans for my parents,   maybe a nice shawl or wrap for my sister in law.  I've just got all sorts of ideas,  unfortunatly I'm just not very good at it yet.   I've tried this blanket (for my baby due in june) 4 different times now and each time it just doesn't look right.   My hubby keeps saying "It's for a baby,  the baby doesn't care."   but I care. 

foxx

Quote from: Tara on March 29, 2006, 05:20:32 PM

WOMAN...how have you never seen Heathers?  OMG...You must go out and rent it...it is a classic.   A must-watch. 

Helen

Quote from: missminimouse on March 30, 2006, 06:44:13 AM
Thanks to all the replies,  I actually got the answer I was looking for from Cranky.   I've decided the pattern I was working on was way too difficult for a beginner,  so I'm just going to make a blanket just using the double crochet stitch. 
I'd like to begin some other projects once I'm done with this.  I want to make hats and mittens for my children for winter,   afghans for my parents,   maybe a nice shawl or wrap for my sister in law.  I've just got all sorts of ideas,  unfortunatly I'm just not very good at it yet.   I've tried this blanket (for my baby due in june) 4 different times now and each time it just doesn't look right.   My hubby keeps saying "It's for a baby,  the baby doesn't care."   but I care. 

With practice it gets easier. If you ever need help, give me a holler.

Kelly

I crochet too and had a hard time at first having other people try to teach me....then I bought this book at walmart......."Learn to crochet in just one day" and it helped so much it was unreal......it was several years ago and cost I think $12.99 but was worth every penny....there are NOT that many stitches in chocheting and it teaches you every single one and also has a glossery of the patterns terms so you can then read ANY crochet pattern ever made.....really really helpful MUST HAVE book for beginners!!

bugsmom

i would love to make your baby a blanket- i can so single and double- thats i taught myself- i have made tons of blankets-

missminimouse

Quote from: KsArt on March 30, 2006, 11:04:32 AM
I crochet too and had a hard time at first having other people try to teach me....then I bought this book at walmart......."Learn to crochet in just one day" and it helped so much it was unreal......it was several years ago and cost I think $12.99 but was worth every penny....there are NOT that many stitches in chocheting and it teaches you every single one and also has a glossery of the patterns terms so you can then read ANY crochet pattern ever made.....really really helpful MUST HAVE book for beginners!!

I bought a book similar to that,  but the instructions aren't always totally clear,  so some of it is still confusing.  For now I'm doing fine with the blanket I'm working on,   will probably need more help when I start getting into the more complicated projects,  like hats and mittens.  Think after this is done I might attempt a large afghan for my in-laws.    How long might a large afghan take do you assume?

Helen

Quote from: missminimouse on March 30, 2006, 12:13:07 PM
Quote from: KsArt on March 30, 2006, 11:04:32 AM

I bought a book similar to that,  but the instructions aren't always totally clear,  so some of it is still confusing.  For now I'm doing fine with the blanket I'm working on,   will probably need more help when I start getting into the more complicated projects,  like hats and mittens.  Think after this is done I might attempt a large afghan for my in-laws.    How long might a large afghan take do you assume?

It just depends on the pattern and how much time you have to spend on it. When I was pregnant with my 1st child, I had plenty of time so I actually started and finished a baby afghan,  which of course is not all that big, in 1 day. Didn't quit till I was done. If you stick to 1 color and don't have to keep changing colors, that goes much quicker too.

Kelly

yup I did several baby quilts in no time.....the big ones for say a queen size bed can take a few weeks if you keep steady at it....plus it depends on color change and if you do any fancy things like those knots or flowers.....i think just a plain single stitch quilt will go faster than you might expect.....don't forget to take a pic and let us see it when your done!!!

good luck and have fun is the main thing.....I found it to be very relaxing

missminimouse

Actually the afghan pattern I'm looking at for my in-laws is 2 colors,   but you don't change off,  you just crochet them both at the same time,   know what I mean?   So it won't be like I have to stop and change and stop and change back.  Once we're all settled and moved I should have plenty of time to do it.   I'd like to have the baby blanket done long before then so I don't have to take a couple weeks off while moving and such.  I'll let ya know how it goes. 

Iceman007

when you get better try making an afghan.very warm in winter,looks good on the back of a couch,on a bed,baby stuff,makes great gifts too.good luck O0

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview