PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 03:22:59 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Grammar

Started by tponka,

Previous topic - Next topic

tponka

I fully admit to being a Pogo Cheater, however, being an educator, I find it evident that some people have been cheating their way through their educations.  I would like to provide a public service to this forum by re-introducing the group to some simple grammar and syntax rules, at least to those who are interested.  I believe this will help anyone in need, on more than just posting in forums, but perhaps in filling out a job application, writing a formal letter or email, and understanding the complexity of the English language. 

I must preface this by saying that "chat shortcuts" are not my concern - I find those completely acceptable on a forum such as this, as well as in chat rooms.

My first lesson involves my biggest pet peeve:  improper use of homonyms.  Recall that homonyms are words that sound alike, but are spelled differently according to their meanings and uses.

Examples:
your vs. you're
The word "your" refers to something that belongs to the person "you."
     "Your smile is enchanting."  "I like your avatar."

The contraction "you're" is used when you intend to say "you are."
    "You're an attractive person."  "I hope you're going to be around to chat later."  "You're welcome."

Many people use "your" improperly.  Just remember, when you use that word, are you meaning to say "you are?"  If not, use "you're" instead.   :oo

I will stop there, and read the feedback on whether the rest of you like this idea of "back to school."  If so, I will continue to post new "lessons" regularly.  (Ok, maybe it's an excuse to post to get more stars, but I think it will be a good public service to those in need.)

Thanks!  O0

foxx

...and I thought I was the only one who was driven crazy by bad grammar! 

:-*

~Ãutolovér~

Quote from: tponka on April 17, 2006, 07:30:16 AM
I fully admit to being a Pogo Cheater, however, being an educator, I find it evident that some people have been cheating their way through their educations.  I would like to provide a public service to this forum by re-introducing the group to some simple grammar and syntax rules, at least to those who are interested.  I believe this will help anyone in need, on more than just posting in forums, but perhaps in filling out a job application, writing a formal letter or email, and understanding the complexity of the English language. 

I must preface this by saying that "chat shortcuts" are not my concern - I find those completely acceptable on a forum such as this, as well as in chat rooms.

My first lesson involves my biggest pet peeve:  improper use of homonyms.  Recall that homonyms are words that sound alike, but are spelled differently according to their meanings and uses.

Examples:
your vs. you're
The word "your" refers to something that belongs to the person "you."
     "Your smile is enchanting."  "I like your avatar."

The contraction "you're" is used when you intend to say "you are."
    "You're an attractive person."  "I hope you're going to be around to chat later."

Many people use "your" improperly.  Just remember, when you use that word, are you meaning to say "you are?"  If not, use "you're" insead.   :oo

I will stop there, and read the feedback on whether the rest of you like this idea of "back to school."  If so, I will continue to post new "lessons" regularly.  (Ok, maybe it's an excuse to post to get more stars, but I think it will be a good public service to those in need.)

Thanks!  O0

Maybe I'm a Dork..........but I like your idea. ;D

Please say I used the correct > your <

Ps: You made a tiny typo up there with the word > instead <  >:D

hades

lol some just have no clue how to spell.  :-X

SaintHiρρo

English isn't my 1st language so I think I'm doing ok at it...

O0

ClingFree

Can we do ... there .. they're .. and their next?

foxx

Quote from: SaintHippo on April 17, 2006, 07:47:20 AM

O0

You're kidding right?

tponka

I corrected "instead" and thank you for pointing that out.  :)
I have to go meet my accountant to get my taxes, but when I return, I will most definitely do "their, there, and they're."  

I'm so glad there is some positive feedback on this topic!

NOTE to users whose native language is NOT English.  CONGRATULATIONS!  I admire anyone who has the ability to communicate in more than one language.  I wish I could.  :)

SaintHiρρo

Quote from: foxx on April 17, 2006, 07:54:41 AM

O0

You're kidding right?

Well, my 1st language was "baby talk" but after that, I was taught English. I'm not going to say I learned English but I was taught it!

nightperson

well somex i do try 2 have a good way to do it but somex i use short cuts not that i cant spell just faster

wattsmyname

LastCall

So there you are folks on your there' :))s oops

~Ãutolovér~

You're welcome.......... I'm bilingual too :D

ClingFree

Quote from: ~Ãutolovér~ on April 17, 2006, 08:05:02 AM

The closest I come to bilingual is English and ... ooh wait that's gonna be edit'ed .. Nm sorry!

nightperson

Quote from: ClingFree on April 17, 2006, 08:08:11 AM
Quote from: ~Ãutolovér~ on April 17, 2006, 08:05:02 AM

The closest I come to bilingual is English and ... ooh wait that's gonna be edit'ed .. Nm sorry!
:))

:)) :))

Blu

ty for the lesson, teach.
even tho some ppl r retards at english, i choose to be a lazy typer. frankly, i dont care that it looks dumb here or in pogo. really tho, ty bc im sure some members need yer help.

To show that I'm not retarded, I'll translate the above entry.
Thank you, tponka, for educating us on homonyms. Even though some people are not well versed in English grammar, I am very well educated. I choose to display lazy typing skills through incorrectly abbreviated words and blatant misspellings sheerly out of laziness. Quite frankly, I do not care if my intelligence is questioned based upon my typing on forums & in Pogo. Honestly, thank you for this idea because some members definitely need your help.

foxx

Quote from: SaintHippo on April 17, 2006, 08:01:21 AM
Quote from: foxx on April 17, 2006, 07:54:41 AM

O0

You're kidding right?

Well, my 1st language was "baby talk" but after that, I was taught English. I'm not going to say I learned English but I was taught it!

You are an arse.   ;D

Luna

When it comes to pogo forums or even chat I choose to type the lazy way as well. I personally dont care if Im typing everything our right or not. If anyone is grading our grammer on here then I'll proudly take my F  :-[    Oh just for the record, I know I misspelled grammer . It's spelled grammar. SEEEE Im not so dumb after all but still will be glad to get an F   ;D

tponka

Ok, as requested, here is the lesson on "there," "their," and "they're."

The word "there" refers to a place. 
"Over there you'll find the restaurant."  "The answer is there in the forum."

The word "their" refers to ownership of something to a group called "they."   
"Their underwear is smelly."  "I like their music."  "It is none of their business."

The contraction "they're" is an abbreviation of the words "they are."   
"They're a really cute couple."  "I hope they're happy."

Next time.. suggestions?

SaintHiρρo

Quote from: tponka on April 17, 2006, 10:15:55 AM
The word "their" refers to ownership of something to a group called "they."   
"Their underwear is smelly." 

LoL, you've been around some of the members of this forum, haven't you?!?!?  :))

BTW: This was only a joke and if you're easily offended by it, then stick it up your ziggy with a wa-wa brush!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview