PlayBuddy
September 21, 2024, 10:58:14 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Help my frizzled brain

Started by TwistofF8,

Previous topic - Next topic

TwistofF8

Does any one know where I can find anything about Pogo's history.
When I started playing, it was owned by CNET. I also know that CNET sold it and that it was owned by someone else before EA.  But for the
life of me can't remember who.   Please help if you can.

Thanks

Helen

I'm not 100% sure but didn't AOL have a hand in there for a while?
You may want to try a google search. That may help you find what you're looking for.

-Tinkerbell

I think it was AOL too.....but as Helen said you could try gogle to make sure  ;::

knightrider13195

When I first started out with pogo it was part of excite.com and that was back in 91

Helen

Quote from: knightrider13195 on April 22, 2006, 04:13:31 PM
When I first started out with pogo it was part of excite.com and that was back in 91

They were with Excite.com when I started too but I think AOL got into it after that.

-Tinkerbell

Helen

Quote from: -Mike- on April 22, 2006, 05:18:58 PM
wow i never even knew pogo was that old

Yes, they've been around for quite a while. I started out on here playing hearts. Badges and tokens were unheard of. Hard to believe, huh?

TwistofF8

Thanks for your responses.  I had done a search on Google and didn't find anything.  That's why I turned to you guys.

Helen

Quote from: TwistofF8 on April 22, 2006, 05:56:40 PM
Thanks for your responses.  I had done a search on Google and didn't find anything.  That's why I turned to you guys.

You're welcome. I Googled the topic and didn't find much either.

TwistofF8

I did find this:

"Pogo.com's history is rooted in Outland, an Internet game service for Macintosh computer users launched in the early 1990s. Dave King and William Lipa, buddies since high school who attended Stanford University together, founded the service. Outland later became a Web site called Total Entertainment Network and in September 1999 was renamed once again as Pogo.com. In 2000, Jupiter Media Metrix named Pogo.com the "stickiest" site on the Internet. In February 2001, EA acquired Pogo"

that's not enough.  My interest is still perking.

hades

i remember when pogo was tellin members that if they were part of excite then theyd be pogo now.aol got pogo after that

Helen

Quote from: TwistofF8 on April 22, 2006, 06:08:57 PM
I did find this:

"Pogo.com's history is rooted in Outland, an Internet game service for Macintosh computer users launched in the early 1990s. Dave King and William Lipa, buddies since high school who attended Stanford University together, founded the service. Outland later became a Web site called Total Entertainment Network and in September 1999 was renamed once again as Pogo.com. In 2000, Jupiter Media Metrix named Pogo.com the "stickiest" site on the Internet. In February 2001, EA acquired Pogo"

that's not enough.  My interest is still perking.

I wish I could help you out more. I do remember that when ownership was switched somewhere along the way, I got emails giving me new passwords to my s/n and I had to log in that way and then change my password. I wish I could remember who those emails came from!!

-Tinkerbell

Quote from: Helen on April 22, 2006, 05:26:25 PM
Quote from: -Mike- on April 22, 2006, 05:18:58 PM
wow i never even knew pogo was that old

Yes, they've been around for quite a while. I started out on here playing hearts. Badges and tokens were unheard of. Hard to believe, huh?

yea very hard to belive

Tookie Tookie

I was a member before it was Pogo.  It was www.ten.com back then. There were several portals to get into pogo such as Excite, Altavista, Compuserve. Then in '99 (I think) EA bought it and it was called Pogo. Our sign names and passwords still worked and our tokens stayed the same.

bobby

Quote from: TwistofF8 on April 22, 2006, 02:03:35 PM
When I started playing, it was owned by CNET. I also know that CNET sold it and that it was owned by someone else before EA.  But for the

Thanks

vh1 special " behind the badges", the pogo story :D

foxx

Quote from: bobby on April 22, 2006, 09:17:04 PM
Quote from: TwistofF8 on April 22, 2006, 02:03:35 PM

Thanks

vh1 special " behind the badges", the pogo story :D

lol bobby...very nice.   :D

bobby

TwistofF8

Heck, I would!   If I sat through the Milli Vanilli one, I can sit through anything.

So I take it in conclusion, it was always owned by EA?

I know I've had to change my screen nick and password twice because of "buy outs"

Runner

"Ten" is the original owners name for the site.   It was a 1 game deal. That person "i forget his name' is still associated with Pogo. He has stuck with the company through all the trades.  I think one of the first interviews was with him.  "Ten" was a java school project.  lol.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview