PlayBuddy
October 03, 2024, 02:34:34 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Need ideas (homemade) to keep pests out of Garden, Please!

Started by SouthPadreIsland,

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthPadreIsland

I need something besides my tin pie plate flappin' in the wind to keep the squirrels, birds and rabbits out of my garden.  I also need cheap ideas, I am poor...LOL.  Thank you!

pugsly™

my grandpa fences his garden to keep the kritters out he also puts pepper on the ground the kritters don't like pepper

SouthPadreIsland

Thanks pugsly - I am going to try the pepper on the ground - can't afford the fencing - wish I could though.  I am starting small...not sure if they are going to make it.  My very first garden - LOL!

foxx

If you have a dog or cat who sheds...take some tufts of their hair outside and place it around the edges of your garden...Kritters don't like that much...

...and, this one is a little gross...but...

Find a man...feed him asparagus...let him pee a little border around the garden...and Wa-la!  No more Kritters!

pugsly™

Quote from: foxx on May 29, 2006, 10:35:02 AM
If you have a dog or cat who sheds...take some tufts of their hair outside and place it around the edges of your garden...Kritters don't like that much...

Find a man...feed him asparagus...let him pee a little border around the garden...and Wa-la!  No more Kritters!

soo true human hair works too espeacially if its been colored or permed kritters hate that

Libra

Quote from: SouthPadreIsland on May 29, 2006, 10:08:31 AM
I need something besides my tin pie plate flappin' in the wind to keep the squirrels, birds and rabbits out of my garden.  I also need cheap ideas, I am poor...LOL.  Thank you!

HERE WE GO!!! 

Ok, plant marigolds all around your garden.  Then, plant onion grass, chives and scallions all around the marigolds.  The critters don't like the oniony stuff, but if they get through them, they'll eat the marigolds.  You may have to replant the marigolds as they get eaten.   

To keep the bugs off and maintain an organic garden, mix in a half gallon of water a tablespoon of Dawn dishwashing liquid (it has to be Dawn, for some reason) and a tablespoon of cayenne pepper.  Stir it gently so you don't create a soapy mess.  Put the mixture in a spray bottle and spray it on the veggies, making sure they're sprayed throroughly.  This keeps the bugs off, as well as disaudes the critters. You have to do it after every watering or rain, though... And of course, you're gonna wanna wash the veggies really good after harvesting.

Hope this helps!  O0

krispy

Quote from: SouthPadreIsland on May 29, 2006, 10:19:39 AM
Thanks pugsly - I am going to try the pepper on the ground - can't afford the fencing - wish I could though.  I am starting small...not sure if they are going to make it.  My very first garden - LOL!

cayanne pepper!!!!

Libra

Omg!  I've heard that asparagus pee before but never thought it worked! 

foxx

Quote from: SunnyLibra on May 29, 2006, 11:08:49 AM

Mr. Foxx hates asparagus...but I make him do this a couple of times a season...and knock on wood...The bunnies and deer haven't eaten anything yet!

Tara

Is that a promise?  :))

bubblegum

Quote from: SunnyLibra on May 29, 2006, 11:08:49 AM

I think it was you lib who said you can't stand the taste of store bought veggies.  I'm the same way. I have a nice size garden and what I don't grow myself I buy from a year round farmer's market.

SouthPadreIsland

I will try them all marigolds and cayenne pepper mix.  Those should work...and I hear ya on the veggies - what I buy is from our Farmer's Market - where, yes, I actually work, LOL.  10% discount helps when you buy as much as I do.  Thanks to all who left me a little something to try!  Rotate them out and see what works best!  Wish I could share it with you all if it comes out good!!!!   O0

ClingFree

Quote from: Tara on May 29, 2006, 11:39:12 AM

Is that a promise?  :))

That made me gigglesnort.

krispy

squirrels can climb those wire mesh fences. but some cloth from the hardware store, like a tight mesh, is a good protector. just tie the ends together around the wire mesh fence, and you can also make a lid for the top. they are always far more persistant than we think.

Ethan_Hawley

I'm sure PETA won't like this but...

...find a neighborhood kid with a BB gun and a good eye.  Pay him 5 bucks/carcass.  Put the bodies on stakes around the garden like Vlad the Impaler.   :x :x  It should scare off the little rabbit/squirrel/bird friends.

That's horrible...I'm sorry...

hades

krispy

i sit on the back steps at times with the bb gun picking off rabbits and crows..........

foxx

Quote from: Ethan_Hawley on May 29, 2006, 09:03:19 PM
I'm sure PETA won't like this but...

...find a neighborhood kid with a BB gun and a good eye.  Pay him 5 bucks/carcass.  Put the bodies on stakes around the garden like Vlad the Impaler.   :x :x  It should scare off the little rabbit/squirrel/bird friends.

That's horrible...I'm sorry...

:o  Ethan! 

*speechless...

hades

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview