PlayBuddy
September 10, 2024, 03:00:28 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Merge Academy : Complete 20 orders this week! [Download Cheat]
Snowbird Solitaire : Make 260 streaks this week! [Download Cheat]
Payday Freecell HD : Place 300 cards in the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Grammar and Spelling

Started by Julez,

Previous topic - Next topic

Julez

I realize that this is a virtual community.  I understand the fact that all Homo sapiens come across a word that is difficult to spell.  I know that proper english grammar can be an unsurmountable pain in the gluteus maximus with all of its rules and exceptions.

The fact remains that if you write like a moron in a virtual community, people get the impression that 1. You don't give a rats rear how you come across to others, 2. You're too stupid to even know what a comma or period is for and how they're used, 3. You don't/never pay/paid attention in English class and do the bare minimum to pass, and 4. You actually speak how you write, which is the result of intense "fronting" to your friends in gang-ese and believe that getting an education is a waste of time.

Now, I by no stretch of the imagination consider myself to be perfect or a know-it-all and I don't pretend either, but for crying out loud USE A PERIOD AT THE END OF YOUR SENTENCES AND CAPITOLIZE!  At least try to utilize the correct tense of a word.  Here are some examples:

Our
Are
Know
No
Sense
Cents
Hear
Here

One more thing, hit the return/enter key every so often.  A sentence doesn't span 40,000 lines.

harley89

You are missing our sense of fun. And some of our members are not Amercian and English is not their first langauge. So dont be so up tight and have fun we do

~Ãutolovér~

Quote from: Spoonz on May 31, 2006, 10:55:17 PM
I realize that this is a virtual community.  I understand the fact that all Homo sapiens come across a word that is difficult to spell.  I know that proper english grammar can be an unsurmountable pain in the gluteus maximus with all of its rules and exceptions.

The fact remains that if you write like a moron in a virtual community, people get the impression that 1. You don't give a rats rear how you come across to others, 2. You're too stupid to even know what a comma or period is for and how they're used, 3. You don't/never pay/paid attention in English class and do the bare minimum to pass, and 4. You actually speak how you write, which is the result of intense "fronting" to your friends in gang-ese and believe that getting an education is a waste of time.

Now, I by no stretch of the imagination consider myself to be perfect or a know-it-all and I don't pretend either, but for crying out loud USE A PERIOD AT THE END OF YOUR SENTENCES AND CAPITOLIZE!  At least try to utilize the correct tense of a word.  Here are some examples:

Our
Are
Know
No
Sense
Cents
Hear
Here

One more thing, hit the return/enter key every so often.  A sentence doesn't span 40,000 lines.

Spoonz.....you should take a look in here, you will love it. O0

http://www.pogocheats.net/forum/index.php/topic,25390.0.html

bubblegum

I'm not sure if I should make the comment of dude, chill were not writing a newspaper here or what.  Yes some of us English is a first language, others it is not.  And in many cases, one may speak English but not American English. Thus it is harder to understand them and their accent comes through thick on these message boards.

But we do have one language in common-what I call pogoease. Though our typos and misspellings we still manage to have fun and understand each other.

Sometimes many of us our at work, and we are reading the message boards and when we wish to post a comment, sometimes we have to type what we are thinking fast, hit post and get back to work.  Grammer ends up taking a back seat.

So just chill.  We do the best we can.

nanners

Amen! bubble.. the POINT is here, to have FUN..screw grammer. we know what we are talking about.. and we can even understand Gecko once in awhile to.. :)).. Love ya GD!! <3

bubblegum

Quote from: nanners on June 01, 2006, 05:09:39 AM
Amen! bubble.. the POINT is here, to have FUN..screw grammer. we know what we are talking about.. and we can even understand Gecko once in awhile to.. :)).. Love ya GD!! <3

I know Gecko speaks english-well, his own unique version of english-but we still love him and understand him.

Libra

Personally?  I agree with Spoonz.  Bad grammar is a pet peeve of mine, and I do think it's a bad reflection of a person.  However, convinced we're a nation of idiots (look who our president is) there's not a whole lost we can do about it. 

I, however, know how to form a proper sentence, and will never take the lazy route.  Except when I'm drunk and in the Southern Thread.  O0

hades

i never cared if people used correct grammar.as long as they dont type like......  "aY0 G whaSSz geWd wiF ju maYunN??!!"  then its cool.only idiots or wanna be trendy "ghetto online" people would do that  :))

Gecko

what are you gas bagging about in here  are we  yabbering about some old chook arsed grammer phones in here  Autolover and me we are meeting under the coathanger  maybe have some bug and then be off like a bondi tram  
then we pack our swags and head  south  by crikeys its busier in here than bourke street   i near fell  A over T  just clumbering around the thread anyway  autolover and me is going to have a nellie blye and some dead horse   and maybe some bundy or 4xxxx    anyway have to ta ta for a  tic  have to go choke a brown dog  .    
i'm sorry i cant talk like a septic tank but im true blue fair dinkum dinky di aussie bloke
 love you all  to  , if only u could speeek proper  aussie english  
:-*  :-*  :-* i wouldnt have to have a stickybeak at the other threads double over all the time  ,  s made me feel butchers hook   hope i don't  chunder b4 i get to the thunderbox .  

GD    

Libra

Quote from: GeckoDundee on June 01, 2006, 07:13:01 AM
what are you gas bagging about in here  are we  yabbering about some old chook arsed grammer phones in here  Autolover and me we are meeting under the coathanger  maybe have some bug and then be off like a bondi tram  
then we pack our swags and head  south  by crikeys its busier in here than bourke streek   i near fell  A over T  just clumbering around the thread anyway  autolover and me is going to have a nellie blye and some dead horse   and maybe some bundy or 4xxxx    anyway have to ta ta for a  tic  have to go choke brown dog  .    
i'm sorry i cant talk like a septic tank but im true blue fair dinkum dinky di aussie bloke
:-*  :-*  :-* i wouldnt have to have a stickybeak at the other threads double over all the time  ,  s made me feel butchers hook   hope i don't  chunder b4 i get to the thunderbox .  

GD    

Gawd damn Gecko!  You got rocks in yer mouth?  :))

~Ãutolovér~

then we pack our swags and head  south  by crikeys its busier in here than bourke streek   i near fell  A over T  just clumbering around the thread anyway  autolover and me is going to have a nellie blye and some dead horse   and maybe some bundy or 4xxxx    anyway have to ta ta for a  tic  have to go choke brown dog  .    
i'm sorry i cant talk like a septic tank but im true blue fair dinkum dinky dye aussie bloke

GD    

LOL...... :)) I understand what Gecko typed, but thats not the way I speak, ;).......he can be a funny "Bugga" <--- (aussie slang) when he wants to be,  but believe it or not, he can be very sensible and smart, out of this forum. O0

Gecko

Quote from: ~Ãutolovér~ on June 01, 2006, 07:26:25 AM
i'm sorry i cant talk like a septic tank but im true blue fair dinkum dinky dye aussie bloke

GD    

LOL...... :)) I understand what Gecko typed, but thats not the way I speak, ;).......he can be a funny "Bugga" <--- (aussie slang) when he wants to be,  but believe it or not, he can be very sensible and smart, out of this forum. O0
no flys on me my silly bugger   AutoLover  i love you :-* u speak worse than me lol  j/k love u   oh gawd  tm   , that gwammer ears 4 hippo pots eyes 

Tamelia

this is the sentence that never ends..it goes on and on my friend..

(Note..There is no beginning nor end) :)

I'm hopped up on bendaryl WOOT

nanners

I think GD has his fingers over one to many keys on his keyboard..something like this
gf;hjfuos ???  :))

hades

Libra

Quote from: ~Ãutolovér~ on June 01, 2006, 07:26:25 AM

GD    

Oh, I can tell he's a smart one (and a smartass) but he IS hard to decipher sometimes.  That's why we're glad we have you, Auto!  :;'

edited because that whole sentence was a train wreck!  :))

bubblegum

then we pack our swags and head  south  by crikeys its busier in here than bourke streek   i near fell  A over T  just clumbering around the thread anyway  autolover and me is going to have a nellie blye and some dead horse   and maybe some bundy or 4xxxx    anyway have to ta ta for a  tic  have to go choke a brown dog  .    

GD    

Your unique gecko.  We love you becuase of that <3

foxx

Spoonz?  Word.  I totally agree...Except I do type how I speak, and I encourage others to do so as well.  I think Gecko types how he speaks.  But like someone said, Aussie English is his first language...and scarily enough, I am coming to understand it!

My personal biggest pet-peeve is not using the frickin spell checker when the button is right there!  I am a member of another forum where they will lambaste you for not using correct grammar...but THEY don't supply a spell checker!  Its nice that its there, so for the love of everything good and holy people...USE IT!

But yeah, we have all been getting along recently...I am not trying to rock the boat.  You should have seen it when and Chad were here.  Gawd.  We used to get headaches trying to read the slanty type!

bubblegum

I thought I was bad with spelling, even though I do tend to forget to spell checker.  I agree with fox though if you want to see bad grammer, reread some of chad's post's and Bree and her 100 personality's.

foxx

Quote from: Spoonz on May 31, 2006, 10:55:17 PM

Now, I by no stretch of the imagination consider myself to be perfect or a know-it-all and I don't pretend either, but for crying out loud USE A PERIOD AT THE END OF YOUR SENTENCES AND CAPITOLIZE!

...and sometimes the spell check fails.  For instance, "capitol" means: 1. A building or complex of buildings in which a state legislature meets. 1. Capitol The building in Washington, D.C., where the Congress of the United States meets.

"capital" on the other hand:  Means a bunch of stuff.  I won't bore you with the details.  Most importantly though, it is:   7. A capital letter.

So, it should be "capitalize".  But, like I said. The spell checker lets the best of us down sometimes.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview