Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Dogs, Dogs, Dogs

Started by BadgeBabe,

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgeBabe

Yeah, it's the name of one of my favorite " Andy Griffith" shows, LOL. Sometimes, the simple pleasures in life are the best, though, like Andy and Barney reruns after a hard day, and petting our furbabies. :)

I have never ventured into this area of PC because I'm not pithy, wily, or especially savvy, and never thought I had anything to contribute.... However, I wanted to tell everyone about my miracle dog. :)

I have this dog, and Bogart is his name. He's a sweet little Havanese, and he is the dog I was telling everyone that was so sick the day the Premium Badge Book winners were announced. I have had Bogart and his faithful little companion, Bacall, also a Havanese, and his half- sister, for 9 years, since they were tiny pups. Bogart almost died last week.  I had already picked out the spot in a copse of trees overlooking the pool to bury him, that's how sick he was.

I'm used to taking care of human illness in my profession, but this horrible and unexpected illness with my dog just about broke MY heart.
IF you have a dog around 8 years old or older and the dog develops a cough or shows signs of unusual fatigue, please ask your vet to do a chest X ray and EKG on the dog. Bogart had a mild, dry cough for about 5 days prior to going to the vet. There were no other symptoms, not even when I ( and later, the vet, listened to his heart).
Dogs are suspectible to non-cancerous lesions on the vessels of their hearts, usually their Aorta, which Vets call either " Chemodectoma" or the more proper term, Paraganglioma. They are VERY treatable if caught early. (Treatment being a $5,000+ heart procedure).
This has nothing to do with heartworms and is not believed to be genetic, although some kinds of dogs are more susceptible than others. Havanese are  NOT in the high- risk groups. Boxers and Boston terriors are the most common dogs affected, but any precious pooch can have this. It usually develops in middle age.

Bogart's heart lesion is 1 mm in size on Ultrasound and the treatment consisted of an emergency pericardiocentesis, where a needle was inserted into the sac around his heart and the leaking blood was drained, then he was rushed to Texas A and M for a partial pericardectomy. ( part of the pericardial sac was removed ). This was done so that if or when his aorta does leak a bit of blood again over a period of time, it will not compress his heart like it was doing, but will drain into his thorax and be absorbed by his body. 

The REALLY good news is that he is now home, and is having to be gently held back, he is so happy and feels so energetic. As soon as his sutures are removed, I'm going to make sure he gets to chase birds, defend " his" yard and start a bit of swimming as he tolerates it. He LIVES to swim, unlike Bacall, who doesn't like to get her dainty little paws wet, LOL.
We are hoping that with a measure of luck and continued close monitoring, he will have a normal active life and a normal lifespan.

I look in his loving, big black eyes and know that all's right with the world. :)

Now, I would LOVE to read about your pets. :)

:;' or  ;:: , both or  other?
PS- If there is a pet thread, it's buried somewhere. Sorry if this is out of sync. Please forgive me if I mis- posted.

Bogart's Happy Mom ;::

tigereyes

I'm glad to hear that your dog is doing much better.

foxx

Bogie and Bacall...that's adorable!

I am sorry to hear of your pup's misfortune...but very glad to hear all is well now.  I can only imagine the fortune in vet's bills you have now...but I have the feeling you feel (as would I) that it was worth every penny.

This is Switters...She was about 2 1/2 or three weeks old when her catmom abandoned her...When we took her in, the vet said she had a 50/50 shot of surviving...

and now...

kgansor

I'm glad all is well :)
& Foxx your kitty is so cuuute!

pugsly™

Quote from: foxx on June 01, 2006, 10:48:24 PM
Bogie and Bacall...that's adorable!

I am sorry to hear of your pup's misfortune...but very glad to hear all is well now.  I can only imagine the fortune in vet's bills you have now...but I have the feeling you feel (as would I) that it was worth every penny.

This is Switters...She was about 2 1/2 or three weeks old when her catmom abandoned her...When we took her in, the vet said she had a 50/50 shot of surviving...

and now...

i am afraid of cats i gotten puncture wounds from a cats nails before been afraid of cats since

foxx

...and then there is Major Briggs...my big ol' dumb sweetheart of a dog...

...and another one of  Switters...

foxx

Quote from: kgansor on June 01, 2006, 10:52:59 PM
I'm glad all is well :)
& Foxx your kitty is so cuuute!

Thanks!  I think so too...

kgansor

aww im sorry to hear that.
my boyfriend used to hate cats and he was actually allergic to them since he was a kid, so why his family got one is beyond me, but it used to live on top of the refrigerator and china cabinet after they got their dog and then i moved in and took the cat with us and now he likes cats so im proud of myself for teaching him to give them a chance. haha but he's still not all about having a million cats like i want to do.. but i told him id be happy as long as he'd let me have like 2 or 3.. and one day he'll come home to about 50  ;D

I'm going to have to get some pictures up here of my pets sometime..
I had two siamese cats growing up along with some other mixed breed ones, but my one younger one we had to have put to sleep about 3 days after christmas, which made me really sad because as a little girl thats the last thing you want after christmas.. and my older one i had since 1991 and we had her put to sleep about 2 years ago in july because she had cancer, we had it removed once but they told us it would probably come back but it would just prolong her life a little bit longer.

I hate saying it because it sounds dumb to anyone who's not a pet lover, but she was like a sister to me because i never had any siblings, so when i would be sad or mad i would always talk to her and she would always sit there and look at me like she was actually listening. and when i would be sick she would always lay on my pillow right by my face like she was making sure i would be ok overnight.

and any other time she was just being a pillow/bed hog. :))

pugsly™

Quote from: Iwanttowin2 on June 01, 2006, 09:43:50 PM
Yeah, it's the name of one of my favorite " Andy Griffith" shows, LOL. Sometimes, the simple pleasures in life are the best, though, like Andy and Barney reruns after a hard day, and petting our furbabies. :)

I have never ventured into this area of PC because I'm not pithy, wily, or especially savvy, and never thought I had anything to contribute.... However, I wanted to tell everyone about my miracle dog. :)

I have this dog, and Bogart is his name. He's a sweet little Havanese, and he is the dog I was telling everyone that was so sick the day the Premium Badge Book winners were announced. I have had Bogart and his faithful little companion, Bacall, also a Havanese, and his half- sister, for 9 years, since they were tiny pups. Bogart almost died last week.  I had already picked out the spot in a copse of trees overlooking the pool to bury him, that's how sick he was.

I'm used to taking care of human illness in my profession, but this horrible and unexpected illness with my dog just about broke MY heart.
IF you have a dog around 8 years old or older and the dog develops a cough or shows signs of unusual fatigue, please ask your vet to do a chest X ray and EKG on the dog. Bogart had a mild, dry cough for about 5 days prior to going to the vet. There were no other symptoms, not even when I ( and later, the vet, listened to his heart).
Dogs are suspectible to non-cancerous lesions on the vessels of their hearts, usually their Aorta, which Vets call either " Chemodectoma" or the more proper term, Paraganglioma. They are VERY treatable if caught early. (Treatment being a $5,000+ heart procedure).
This has nothing to do with heartworms and is not believed to be genetic, although some kinds of dogs are more susceptible than others. Havanese are  NOT in the high- risk groups. Boxers and Boston terriors are the most common dogs affected, but any precious pooch can have this. It usually develops in middle age.

Bogart's heart lesion is 1 mm in size on Ultrasound and the treatment consisted of an emergency pericardiocentesis, where a needle was inserted into the sac around his heart and the leaking blood was drained, then he was rushed to Texas A and M for a partial pericardectomy. ( part of the pericardial sac was removed ). This was done so that if or when his aorta does leak a bit of blood again over a period of time, it will not compress his heart like it was doing, but will drain into his thorax and be absorbed by his body. 

The REALLY good news is that he is now home, and is having to be gently held back, he is so happy and feels so energetic. As soon as his sutures are removed, I'm going to make sure he gets to chase birds, defend " his" yard and start a bit of swimming as he tolerates it. He LIVES to swim, unlike Bacall, who doesn't like to get her dainty little paws wet, LOL.
We are hoping that with a measure of luck and continued close monitoring, he will have a normal active life and a normal lifespan.

I look in his loving, big black eyes and know that all's right with the world. :)

Now, I would LOVE to read about your pets. :)

:;' or  ;:: , both or  other?
PS- If there is a pet thread, it's buried somewhere. Sorry if this is out of sync. Please forgive me if I mis- posted.

Bogart's Happy Mom ;::

my snouszer tippy died in 2000 right on his birthday halloween he was only 5 years old at that time he was my son i cannot have kids this dog was my son i had put him down on his birthday due to him being very ill and needing a 10 thousand dollar surgery to replace his kidneys and no guarantee he live after if his body would reject the kidneys so i decided to put him down so he wouldn't be miserable and suffer i miss him alot

kgansor

awe sorry to hear that. i love animals so much and i want so many of them but i hate the fact that they get sick and have to either be put to sleep or just die of old age. it just breaks my heart.

pugsly™

pugsly came into my life a few months ago he is a adorable puggy pug

pugsly™

Quote from: kgansor on June 01, 2006, 11:10:45 PM
awe sorry to hear that. i love animals so much and i want so many of them but i hate the fact that they get sick and have to either be put to sleep or just die of old age. it just breaks my heart.

i sat in the vets office in a exam room with him after they injected him and held him till he died and i balled for 2 hours after while still holding him till they pried him out of my arms i still cry the hurt never goes away

kgansor

yea i know exactly how you feel. sometimes i still cry about my cat.

speaking of cat.. i just looked behind me and mine is sitting on the floor trying to eat something. i think it was a bug? shes been chasing a moth around the room for the past couple days. yet shes the only cat i know that doesnt respong to catnip  ??? Sometimes she does sometimes she doesnt, guess it depends on if she wants to get high or not haha.

hades

~Ãutolovér~

I love your Black cat Foxx....I've only ever had black cats, they are so gorgeous. :;'

kgansor

my grandma has a black cat that is going to be like 19 or 20 this year. olllld kitty haha.
i had a few black cats when i was younger.
I want another one, and a white one and i want to name it marilyn after marilyn monroe haha.

Mr. Scandalous

I had a cocker spaniel for about 12 years and he had a limping problem, but it didn't really seem like that much of a problem - we figured it was just typical for his age and it was. Now this wasn't the reason he was limping, but as he got older he started to develop warts on his body and they just grew everywhere, so we decided to take him into the vet's office to schedule him to have surgery to remove them. They removed most of the warts, the one's that they thought might be a problem in time and he didn't really develop anymore, but a few months after they started to re-develop. He had an enormous sized wart hiding under his fur and we thought it could be cancerous and because of the fact we thought he was just getting too old, so we decided to take him in to put him to sleep. Well, the morning he was taken in to be put to sleep I was sleeping and no one woke me up for me to say goodbye, so it didn't really sink in until I noticed we no longer had a dog. (it's sad, it makes me teary eyed now thinking about that), but we got to bring him home after he was put to sleep so we could bury him near a pine tree next to some of the garden's bushes and flowers - so it's really a peaceful place for him to be. We also handmade a cross with his date of birth and being put to sleep on it so it's almost like a real tombstone... he was a good dog, so that way whenever I leave I know I can always come back and remember him.

A few months after that we bought a new cocker spaniel who is a gold colored tan mix and he looks exactly like our old dog except for the color difference - the same size, same bark, same attitude, same laziness... but still a good companion. Him and our other dog get along just like the old dog did with the other, so it's almost like nothing changed, but we still miss our last one.

kgansor

my boyfriend had a cocker spaniel growing up and it like couldnt walk or anything and something else was wrong with it and they had to have it put to sleep and now everytime he thinks about it or sees another cocker spaniel he gets sad because it makes him think of his dog. he said he'd love to get another one when we get older because his was always really good and well trained, but he wants a pit bull, maybe one christmas ill suprise him with a cocker spaniel puppy because im wonderful like that haha. then he'd probably be mad it wasnt a pitbull with the pink nose like he wants. but whatever. as long as it doesnt interfere with my 100 cats.

Mr. Scandalous

I don't know if it's typical for a cocker spaniel to have walking problems or not because our new one does lean to the side when he walks, but nothing is wrong, so I don't really know. And for your 100 cats, I can relate to that because I live on a farm and well, we don't have as many cats as we used to, goats have somewhat replaced them... but when we first moved here from Florida we had about that many cats because we had too many female cats that kept reproducing with about five more kittens - cute don't get me wrong - but it's costly when you have to buy so much feed every week because they honestly go through an entire bag or two in one week with that many needing to eat. Now it's typical for us to spend a fortune on our goats, but we do raise and sell them, so we get that money back in time.

kgansor

yea i exaggerated a little bit with the 100 haha. My boyfriends parents have 2 chickens that at first i thought was really dumb but now they're older and we get eggs constantly so we never have to buy eggs at the grocery store which is awesome. they also have 3 rabbits that they want to get rid of because his little sister never wants to take care of them. and two dogs.. ones a doberman that doesnt act, or look, like one because shes so fat. and a pomeranian that was the runt of the litter and the most annoying thing in the world. and they have some fish but those dont count haha.

me and ryan (my boyfriend) went to the pet store last may and we decided to buy two betta fish one for me and one for him and we have one of those divided tanks so we can lift the divider and u can watch them puff out and try to fight each other. and we have our cat. and i have a carin terrier named bear, hes a fatty haha its weird beacuse we never feed him people food nad he doesnt overeat so we have no idea why hes so fat because his mom was never that big. and i have a bearded dragon whos going to be probably 3 years old i believe this year. and a rabbit that ive had since i was in the 3rd grade and i am now in my second year of college so yea.. shes old.. shes getting hard of hearing and seeing but i have a feeling shell be living longer, shes a trooper haha.

I would like to get a hedgehog sometime in the near future i just think they're neat and ive always wanted one everytime id see one in the pet store.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview