PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 09:08:41 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Our Commander in Chief...and other Scary things about the U.S.A....

Started by foxx,

Previous topic - Next topic

foxx

Maybe its just me (and Lib and Hippo...), but there seems to be a bit of dissent in the US over #43.  So, if the polls are correct, 70% of the PogoCheats Family thinks our "President" is lacking some skills. 

Every once-in-a-while, a GW comment or two comes up...or even a random thought about the State of the Union...

I thought it only appropriate that there was a thread dedicated to Democracy InAction.

Contribution #1. 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060603/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush;_ylt=AjxX2zG4FrSURq.gz_Pwm0RI2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

underdog

Wow!  I didn't know this forum allowed political postings.  They can get pretty nasty from time to time.  That topic always comes up around election time and the same people come out of the woodwork.  Let the states take care of their own business and leave the Constitution alone.

Libra

Thanks for this, Foxx.  I think it's imprtant to discuss politics, as long as it can be done in a respectful manner.  This being an election year, it's important to talk about issues that are personally important to you, and to discuss which candidate holds your same interests.  Some people may not be aware of what their candidates stand for, and may find this particular thread informative for that reason.  I, being a news and politics junky, will post updates on candidates for everyone so they can get the jist of them in a nut-shell. I will try and be unbiased.  O0

Edited to change "they're" to the appropriate "their" which was pointed out to me in a PM in which I was compared to Geroge Bush.

SaintHiρρo

I'm all for political discussions that will help me learn a little more about people I'm thinking of voting for. Just because I'm a Democrat doesn't mean I'm going to vote for a Dem at every possible chance I get. If I see a Rep or a Green Party or Indy that I believe would be better qualified to handle what issues are important to me, I will vote for them. So let the discussions begin...

...No More Apes in 2008, Vote Democrat!

ClingFree

Quote from: SunnyLibra on June 06, 2006, 09:42:40 AM
Thanks for this, Foxx.  I think it's imprtant to discuss politics, as long as it can be done in a respectful manner.  This being an election year, it's important to talk about issues that are personally important to you, and to discuss which candidate holds your same interests.  Some people may not be aware of what their candidates stand for, and may find this particular thread informative for that reason.  I, being a news and politics junky, will post updates on candidates for everyone so they can get the jist of them in a nut-shell. I will try and be unbiased.  O0

Edited to change "they're" to the appropriate "their" which was pointed out to me in a PM in which I was compared to Geroge Bush.

Personally? I completely agree. I am not the most political nor a news junkie, but as a Mom I am trying to raise my girls to be political. Everyone has different viewpoints, and I am looking forward to reading, commenting, and questioning!

foxx

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060605/pl_nm/rights_gays_congress_dc_4

My thoughts?  Makes me a bit  :x.

Every election year it gets worse.  The conservatives pander to the Radical Right and attempt to ram a hot button "moral" issue down our throats.  In 2004, in most of the battleground states, state referendums took up the "Marriage Amendment" and brought voters to the polls in droves. 

Ohio passed the "Marriage Amendment" and now defines a marriage as only between a man and a woman...but its worse than that.  This constitutional amendment completely nullified portions of their Protection from Abuse act...now, even if a man and a woman have been living with each other for 15 years, have 2 kids, etc. and he physically assaults her...she can no longer be provided with protection under the law because they are not a "married" couple. 

Not to mention...I thought the Constitution was supposed to give us rights as citizens...not take them away...Silly me.

Libra

Quote from: foxx on June 06, 2006, 12:57:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060605/pl_nm/rights_gays_congress_dc_4

My thoughts?  Makes me a bit  :x.

Every election year it gets worse.  The conservatives pander to the Radical Right and attempt to ram a hot button "moral" issue down our throats.  In 2004, in most of the battleground states, state referendums took up the "Marriage Amendment" and brought voters to the polls in droves. 

Ohio passed the "Marriage Amendment" and now defines a marriage as only between a man and a woman...but its worse than that.  This constitutional amendment completely nullified portions of their Protection from Abuse act...now, even if a man and a woman have been living with each other for 15 years, have 2 kids, etc. and he physically assaults her...she can no longer be provided with protection under the law because they are not a "married" couple. 

Not to mention...I thought the Constitution was supposed to give us rights as citizens...not take them away...Silly me.

The thing that kills me is that the bill will NEVAH get the 2/3rds majority needed to pass, so this is a ridiculous waste of time.  It's just as you said, it's nothing more than pandering to the extreme right.  However, since the last election, they've been left out in the cold, I don't think even the radical right will fall for it this time. 

foxx

Yeah, that little plan to court the Radicals did backfire on the Republicant's didn't it?  HA HA!

The Right was promised so much...and GW and his cronies have failed to deliver on their promises...

For example...Pennsylvania has always been a democratic leaning state because of the populations of Pittsburgh (blue-collar city) and Philadelphia (Mini-NYC).  However, in the middle of the state, its mostly pretty frickin Republican. 

Anywho...Sick Santorum, the Radical Right's poster boy, was losing in the polls by 19% before the primary...basically, the Democrats could run a frickin lamp against him and win.  That makes me happy. 

I need an "Anyone but Rick" or a "Sick of Rick" bumpersticker for my car...and no one makes them!  Sick of Rick is like, the best slogan EVAH...and no one has picked up on it...

Libra

Quote from: foxx on June 06, 2006, 01:07:33 PM
Yeah, that little plan to court the Radicals did backfire on the Republicant's didn't it?  HA HA!

The Right was promised so much...and GW and his cronies have failed to deliver on their promises...

For example...Pennsylvania has always been a democratic leaning state because of the populations of Pittsburgh (blue-collar city) and Philadelphia (Mini-NYC).  However, in the middle of the state, its mostly pretty frickin Republican. 

Anywho...Sick Santorum, the Radical Right's poster boy, was losing in the polls by 19% before the primary...basically, the Democrats could run a frickin lamp against him and win.  That makes me happy. 

I need an "Anyone but Rick" or a "Sick of Rick" bumpersticker for my car...and no one makes them!  Sick of Rick is like, the best slogan EVAH...and no one has picked up on it...

Have you spoken to Bubbles about the aforementioned bumpersticker?

foxx

Quote from: SunnyLibra on June 06, 2006, 01:12:31 PM

Bwah!  No!  She is forbidden to ever speak of them again!

Oh...and it's primary day in some states...Here's some info...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060606/ap_on_el_ge/primary_glance;_ylt=AuFbSt3yXsfHjlVaRAZnZjGM5QcF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

So, if you live in CA, IA, MT, AL, NJ, SD, MS or NM...Don't forget to go vote!

Lynne

I'm with Hippo, I am a democrat, but I don't always vote democrat, heck I voted for Mitt Romney for governor. To be honest I think he has done a really good job for MA. If he ran for president (very likely he would) I would prolly vote for him....i know i know another republican. I can't see myself voting for Hillary, maybe John Kerry but I dunno.

tigereyes

Quote from: foxx on June 06, 2006, 01:18:19 PM
Quote from: SunnyLibra on June 06, 2006, 01:12:31 PM

Bwah!  No!  She is forbidden to ever speak of them again!

Oh...and it's primary day in some states...Here's some info...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060606/ap_on_el_ge/primary_glance;_ylt=AuFbSt3yXsfHjlVaRAZnZjGM5QcF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

So, if you live in CA, IA, MT, AL, NJ, SD, MS or NM...Don't forget to go vote!

I'm orginally from MT. Too bad I couldn't have voted.

foxx

Apparently this thread is JUST FOR ME!  Maybe I should re-name it...

lol...Anywho...In case yinz guys didn't catch the Daily Show last night...

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/headlines/index.jhtml

Click on "Flag Hag"...the part of the headlines after Darryl Hannah is Hilarious...

SaintHiρρo

This thread isn't just for you... it's for me too, lol.

So "The Smoking Gun" has given me more entertainment then I like to admit and this is another one. Now before you start thinking that something bad happened, it didn't. It is just a list of gifts that the Bush administration has received in 2004 from foreign government. Quite a few interesting things. If you want to check it out, here's the link: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0615061gifts1.html

foxx

Lol @ Ann Coulter toons...She is an icy bitch.

Quote from: ŜainŦHiρρo™ on June 16, 2006, 09:13:59 AM
This thread isn't just for you... it's for me too, lol.

So "The Smoking Gun" has given me more entertainment then I like to admit and this is another one. Now before you start thinking that something bad happened, it didn't. It is just a list of gifts that the Bush administration has received in 2004 from foreign government. Quite a few interesting things. If you want to check it out, here's the link: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0615061gifts1.html

..and apparently, the best Dallas Cowboys merchandise comes from....Saudi Arabia?

foxx

Lib...I can't read that last one... :(

...and Surprise, Surprise!  The republicans think we should stay in Iraq forever!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060616/ap_on_go_co/us_iraq_46

SaintHiρρo

Libra

Yesterday, CNN had a fifteen year-old girl on, a youngster who has gotten a lot of blogger attention.  The anchor, a woman who was petty and vapid, chided her for having created the following video.  I urge you to open it -- you will cry, but you will be glad you saw what this young American has done. The little girl's name is Ava.

"Now, AVA! What were you THINKING when you selected that music to go with those pictures?" the anchor asked.  "I was thinking we are all God's children," she replied.  This youngster, Ava Lowerey from Alabama, was invited to participate in the Kos convention [a convention of progressive Democrats]. "Do you think they were USING you?" asked the flighty anchor.  "Maybe," replied Ava, "but I was using them to get my message out." 

Here's the link to the video by this little girl:

http://www.peacetakescourage.com/wwjd.html

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview