Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

60 useless facts

Started by flgal,

Previous topic - Next topic

flgal

For every human being on earth, there are about 200 million insects.

The harmonica is the world's most popular instrument.

By the time they are 65 years old, most Americans have watched more
than nine years worth of television.

The puck in ice hockey can travel at up to 118 mph (190 km/h).

If you stretched all the nerves in the body from end to end, they would be about 47 miles long.

Humans have more than 600 muscles in their bodies.

Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

There are more chickens than people in the world.

Two-thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in New Jersey.

The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."

All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt."

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.

Almonds are a member of the peach family.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.

The largest cabbage weighed 144 lbs.

There are only four words in the English language which end in "-dous":
tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

Los Angeles's full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula" - and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size: "L.A."

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

Tigers have striped skin, not just stripped fur.

In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.

Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "Its A Wonderful Life."

A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. (DON'T try this at home!)

The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.

In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and
a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

Mr. Rogers is an ordained minister.

There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.

"Stewardesses" is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.

Many hamsters blink one eye at a time.

The inventor of the flushing toilet was Thomas Crapper.

The average bed is home to over 6 billion dust mites.

Plastic lawn flamingos outnumber real flamingos in the U.S.A.

Whitby, Ontario has more donut stores per capita than any other place in the world.

Starfish have no brain.

Dolphins sleep with one eye open.

Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel with over 50,000 words, none of which contained the letter "E".

Bulls are color blind.

A can of SPAM is opened every 4 seconds.

"Babe" was played by over 48 pigs.

Mosquitoes have 47 teeth.

Lip stick contains fish scales.

The Poison Arrow frog has enough poison to kill 2200 people.

The largest known kidney stone weighed 1.36 kilograms.

Kidney stones come in any color from yellow to brown.

Women blink twice as many times as men do.

A bowling pin only has to tilt 7.5 degrees in order to fall down.

The first episode of Leave It To Beaver aired on October 4, 1957.

Beaver Cleaver's locker number is 9.

The first flushing toilet seen on TV was on Leave It To Beaver

Tara

Quote from: flgal on June 18, 2006, 05:29:17 PM
If you stretched all the nerves in the body from end to end, they would be about 47 miles long. I don't know I'm almost on my last nerve and I don't think it's even 1 inch long

Humans have more than 600 muscles in their bodies. Gawd forbid I use them all at once is all I have to say about it.

There are more chickens than people in the world. That could be scary

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear. Oh my!

There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball. If I don't watch what I eat there will that many dimples on my ass.

Mosquitoes have 47 teeth. TEETH?

Lip stick contains fish scales. Oh hell, no way!

flgal

Quote from: Tara on June 18, 2006, 05:50:55 PM
Quote from: flgal on June 18, 2006, 05:29:17 PM
If you stretched all the nerves in the body from end to end, they would be about 47 miles long. I don't know I'm almost on my last nerve and I don't think it's even 1 inch long

Humans have more than 600 muscles in their bodies. Gawd forbid I use them all at once is all I have to say about it.

There are more chickens than people in the world. That could be scary

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear. Oh my!

There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball. If I don't watch what I eat there will that many dimples on my ass.

Mosquitoes have 47 teeth. TEETH?

Lip stick contains fish scales. Oh hell, no way!

:)) :)) :)) :))

Kelly

And the word "Bookkeeper" is the only word in the english language that has 3 double letters in a row in it...thought I'd throw that in...my english teacher told me that in the fifth grade n I never forgot it (forgot everything else he taught us tho....lmbo)

damian666

There is some debate as to whether or not a place name is a legitimate word. However, the longest officially recognized place name in an English-speaking country is Taumatawhakatang­ihangakoauauot­amateaturipukaka­pikimaunga­horonuku­pokaiwhenuak­itanatahu (85 letters) which is a hill in New Zealand.

The longest place name in the United States (45 letters) is Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, a lake in Webster, Massachusetts. This is incorrectly said to be Algonquin for "you fish your side of the water, I fish my side of the water, nobody fishes the middle". It actually means "Englishmen at Manchaug at the Fishing Place at the Boundary". The lake is known to Americans as Lake Webster. The longest hyphenated names in the U.S. are Winchester-on-the-Severn, a town in Maryland, and Washington-on-the-Brazos, a notable place in Texas history.

The station sign at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in North WalesThe 58 character name Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is the famous name of a town in Anglesey in the United Kingdom. This place's name is actually 51 letters long, as certain character groups in Welsh are considered as one letter, for instance ll, ng and ch. It is generally agreed, however, that this invented name, adopted in the mid-19th century, was contrived solely to be the longest name of any town in Britain. The official name of the place is Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll, commonly abbreviated to "Llanfairpwll" or the somewhat jocular "Llanfair PG". The longest station name in the UK, at 68 letters, is also in Wales: Gorsafawddacha'idraigodanheddogleddollônpenrhynareurdraethceredigion was specifically contrived to "beat" Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.

In Ireland, the longest English placename at 22 letters is Muckanaghederdauhaulia (from the Irish language, Muiceanach Idir Dhá Sháile, meaning pig-marsh between two saltwater inlets) in County Galway. If this is disallowed for being derived from Irish, or not a town, the longest at 19 letters is Newtownmountkennedy in County Wicklow.

It is questionable whether any of the above (with the exception of New­town­mount­kennedy) are properly considered English words, being derived from Māori, Nipmuck, Welsh and Irish words respectively, or being a conjunction of individual English words.

Kelly

Quote from: damian666 on June 18, 2006, 08:33:50 PM
There is some debate as to whether or not a place name is a legitimate word. However, the longest officially recognized place name in an English-speaking country is Taumatawhakatang­ihangakoauauot­amateaturipukaka­pikimaunga­horonuku­pokaiwhenuak­itanatahu (85 letters) which is a hill in New Zealand.

The longest place name in the United States (45 letters) is Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, a lake in Webster, Massachusetts. This is incorrectly said to be Algonquin for "you fish your side of the water, I fish my side of the water, nobody fishes the middle". It actually means "Englishmen at Manchaug at the Fishing Place at the Boundary". The lake is known to Americans as Lake Webster. The longest hyphenated names in the U.S. are Winchester-on-the-Severn, a town in Maryland, and Washington-on-the-Brazos, a notable place in Texas history.

The station sign at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in North WalesThe 58 character name Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is the famous name of a town in Anglesey in the United Kingdom. This place's name is actually 51 letters long, as certain character groups in Welsh are considered as one letter, for instance ll, ng and ch. It is generally agreed, however, that this invented name, adopted in the mid-19th century, was contrived solely to be the longest name of any town in Britain. The official name of the place is Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll, commonly abbreviated to "Llanfairpwll" or the somewhat jocular "Llanfair PG". The longest station name in the UK, at 68 letters, is also in Wales: Gorsafawddacha'idraigodanheddogleddollônpenrhynareurdraethceredigion was specifically contrived to "beat" Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.

In Ireland, the longest English placename at 22 letters is Muckanaghederdauhaulia (from the Irish language, Muiceanach Idir Dhá Sháile, meaning pig-marsh between two saltwater inlets) in County Galway. If this is disallowed for being derived from Irish, or not a town, the longest at 19 letters is Newtownmountkennedy in County Wicklow.

It is questionable whether any of the above (with the exception of New­town­mount­kennedy) are properly considered English words, being derived from Māori, Nipmuck, Welsh and Irish words respectively, or being a conjunction of individual English words.

Are you serious.....your making this all up aren't you Damian  :))

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview