PlayBuddy
September 10, 2024, 08:07:42 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Merge Academy : Complete 20 orders this week! [Download Cheat]
Snowbird Solitaire : Make 260 streaks this week! [Download Cheat]
Payday Freecell HD : Place 300 cards in the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Speaking English

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

Should it be mandatory for American citizens to be able to speak English?

Yes
45 (84.9%)
No
8 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Mr. Scandalous

Quote from: PogoSlave on June 27, 2006, 02:24:36 AM
I hear what you're saying Mr Scan but this is MY Country. I learned a little French when I was in grade school. It was mandatory. I have since forgotten all but a few words. I lived in Turkey for a year and I had to learn to speak Turkish, they would not post English signs or hire English speaking employee's for my convenience. There were no English speaking doctors when I got sick. I HAD to learn THEIR language. I learned to barter when I went out to shop because I learned that the Turkish people did not expect for you to pay the first price that they gave you for an item. They laughed and called you names behind your back if you did pay the full asking price. I learned to speak Italian and to respect the Italian customs when I lived there as I did when I lived in Germany. I don't think asking the same of other cultures when they come to our Country to visit/live is asking too much. I think they (the Immigrants) should expect it and I think we, as Americans (whether we're first generation or 20th generation Americans), deserve it.

Well, I do have to agree with you. However, some people, though, don't have enough education, expenses or even time to devote to learning another language. Tutorials costs money and most of the time immigrants come to America because that's exactly what they don't have, so how are we to expect that out of them when they can't afford it? I think it's wiser for them to do so, but again it'd be wiser for English-speakers to learn Spanish since that is the leading language in the U.S., plus I think it'd be a lot more effective.

SexySagittarian

Again I have to disagree. Ideally, in a perfect world you would be absolutely right, but this is not a perfect world. We, as a nation can not afford to take on the financial responsibility for the rest of the world. I know that they are poor and they can have a better life here than they can have in their own Country but for every one of them that comes here and gets into our system because they cannot afford to take care of themselves we're putting one more of our citizens out of a food line or out of a shelter, or taking the money that he/she would have gotten from the government to help pay his/her rent that month. One more baby won't get his immunizations, one more senior won't get their medications or their visiting nurse, one more mother won't get child care for her children, one more family home destroyed by a natural disaster won't be rebuilt. We do much to help citizens of many poor Countries. It would be great to do more . It would be wonderful to open our borders to all that wish to become part of this great nation that we belong to but first we must put our own house in order. We must first feed, clothe, house, educate and make safe all of our citizens. Only then can we become the idealistic Nation that so many wish we could be. 

I can already hear you saying "but that's not fair", and "why do we deserve to be taken care of if they don't?" The answers are 1. It isn't fair. 2. We were blessed enough to have been born or to have become legal citizens another way into a Country that could provide the majority of it's citizenry a comfortable lifestyle if they were willing to work for it. It's not a pretty truth but it is our truth...we just got lucky. I believe one day we will see what your idealism shows you to be "right", but it's something that will be a long time in coming, so many things have to be made right first.

Tamara

Alrighty then. Here's my two cents.
I'am in northern Wisconsin and seems like the Hmongs are taking over here !! My problem with them is they can just come into this country and are handed EVERYTHING while 'our own' have to do without and very very few can speak OR understand English for that matter.
Here is a prime example: A friend of mine is a single mother of 3 kids. A few months back she had to apply for heating assistance due to falling on hard times. She was told that her income was $2.00 over the income limit and therefore, could not get any help. I mean, my god, a measly $2.00!!! And mind you, she was born and raised here in the US.
She said that there were MANY Hmongs and other immigrants (most had to have interperters) that were being handed everything. From vouchers for different things to being them getting housing assistance. Now you tell me, how the hell is that fair!!!!
As I stated above, they are being handed EVERYTHING while our own have to do without. Gimme a break  >:((
And YES, they should ALL know (or learn) b4 they even come here to speak English, especially when working with the public.

Mr. Scandalous

I'm in Iowa, so it's kind of similar here where you're at, Tamara. If you don't remember from the news a couple years ago, we had illegal immigrants coming into our state in a freight train and like 20 of them died inside the train because they lacked food and water. I'm like two-sided on this whole matter. If you're an illegal immigrant, I think you should be shipped back to your country. But if you aren't, I could careless if you speak the accepted language here or not. I don't see many people who don't speak English getting highly paid corporate positions, so what does it matter if they don't speak English? Most of the Mexicans here work labor intensiveness positions and hardly get paid... they deserve it, but still why should we force them to learn our language? That'll give the immigrants more opportunities to steal American's jobs for American-born people.

harley89

My daughter is a special ed teacher. Works with mentally handicapped children. When she was teaching on the elementary school level a few years ago She had a student from Mexico and did not understand any English. Hand sings that they use were useless. His parents did not speak English. When she had to have meetings with the parents the school board had to send someone that spoke Spanish to translate. She had some paperwork for the Mother to sign the translater couldn't be there. She was told to just get the signature. My daughter did not think it was right to have her sign the papers without understanding what she was signing. just so happens one of the food services workers spoke Spanish so she got her to translate.  If you want to live and work here learn English being bi-lingual will be a great asset. My neighbor is from France and her children speak English and French. She speaks English unless she gets mad then the French flows

foxx

Censored.

fiz

As long as they speak English in business matters, and are legal, they are fine with me.

ArmyWife

Quote from: Mr. Scandalous on June 27, 2006, 03:55:26 AM
I'm in Iowa, so it's kind of similar here where you're at...

I am in Iowa too - small world!  West side of the state!

I too think that English should be required.

hades

i just find it funny when i see people yelling in spanish and the ones theyre yelling at have no clue wtf theyre saying.  :-X  :))

Libra

Quote from: Tara on June 27, 2006, 09:09:53 AM
Quote from: foxx on June 27, 2006, 09:03:44 AM
Word to that Blu. 

And you are welcome...I will run your campaign, man.

:*** Blu in '08

:> Lib in '16

Are you talking to yourself?   :-\

No, his post was deleted. 

bubblegum

I frankly don't care if I sound ignorant or not.  My point is that it's not fair to all the legal immigrants that are here, have learned English and are working to contribute to the community.  Its not fair to them, much less fair to the rest of us, that just because they are here illegally they have everything handed to them on a silver platter.  

It frankly pisses me off to see people struggling every day that were either born citizens are became citizens legally-and they can't get assistance because they make 2 dollars to much.  Trust me, whoever made the comment about heating assistance and 2 dollars over statement, you will not believe how often that happens to people across America.

A very similar situation is currently happening to me as well as several other people we know.  Yet the people that are here illegal are being handed vouchers for everything.  And they have the galls to stand there and stare at you like a deer in the headlights because they don't speak English.

So call me ignorant sounding all you want.  I've stood on both sides of the track.  Yes I KNOW that illegal immigrants do a lot of work for this country.  I know our economy would go to hell if we kicked them all out.  But screw it.  Kick em all out, send em all back.  I don't care how much the biatch.  It's not fair to the rest of us legal Americans.

Blu

Homer

Quote from: BluRaven on June 27, 2006, 09:31:57 AM
Another post deleted? wow

If you want to keep calling people names yes. I will pull every post. I sometimes do not get to everything in the forum. There is a feature called report to moderator. All someone had to do was report the post for having that kind of content.

Is that what was done? No. You just want to call people names and compound the problem.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

bubblegum

wow blue, you must have pissed somebody off. Rarely does someone respond to me anymore so I must have.

zeboo

Well I think we need to remove the poem from the statue of liberty ..Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses....I think that would be a good start  :))

foxx

I try not to use the report feature too often.  But you can bet your sweet butt I will now.  I will just stop voicing my opinion and instead, hit report.   

*Edited because I tried to respond to Blu...should have known he'd be censored.

Libra

Quote from: foxx on June 27, 2006, 09:54:39 AM
Looks that way. 

I try not to use the report feature too often.  But you can bet your sweet butt I will now.  I will just stop voicing my opinion and instead, hit report.   

Sorry, sweetie, I beat you to it.   :***

foxx

Quote from: Libra on June 27, 2006, 09:57:07 AM
Quote from: foxx on June 27, 2006, 09:54:39 AM

Sorry, sweetie, I beat you to it.   :***

lmao...You remind me why I love you everyday

Lib in '16  :>

Tara

Please lock this topic.  Please. I don't want everyone fighting.  :'(( :'((

ArmyWife

Quote from: Homer on June 27, 2006, 09:34:27 AM
Quote from: BluRaven on June 27, 2006, 09:31:57 AM
Another post deleted? wow

If you want to keep calling people names yes. I will pull every post. I sometimes do not get to everything in the forum. There is a feature called report to moderator. All someone had to do was report the post for having that kind of content.

Is that what was done? No. You just want to call people names and compound the problem.

I did not call names.....was actually called a racist and my posts all got deleted?   :ooo  I guess learned my lesson will keep my thoughts to myself......now I will go to the corner and pout! LOL   :ll

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview