PlayBuddy
September 10, 2024, 08:09:33 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Merge Academy : Complete 20 orders this week! [Download Cheat]
Snowbird Solitaire : Make 260 streaks this week! [Download Cheat]
Payday Freecell HD : Place 300 cards in the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Speaking English

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

Should it be mandatory for American citizens to be able to speak English?

Yes
45 (84.9%)
No
8 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Homer

Quote from: ArmyWife on June 27, 2006, 10:19:56 AM
Quote from: Homer on June 27, 2006, 09:34:27 AM
Quote from: BluRaven on June 27, 2006, 09:31:57 AM
Another post deleted? wow

If you want to keep calling people names yes. I will pull every post. I sometimes do not get to everything in the forum. There is a feature called report to moderator. All someone had to do was report the post for having that kind of content.

Is that what was done? No. You just want to call people names and compound the problem.

I did not call names.....was actually called a racist and my posts all got deleted?   :ooo  I guess learned my lesson will keep my thoughts to myself......now I will go to the corner and pout! LOL   :ll

First, this quote isn't directed to you.

Second, there wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the offensive signs found at the link you decided to post.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Blu

Homer

Quote from: BluRaven on June 27, 2006, 10:37:46 AM
Now, it's all good....ty Homer

Your welcome. Sorry about any misunderstandings. ;)

ArmyWife

Quote from: Homer on June 27, 2006, 10:21:35 AM
Quote from: ArmyWife on June 27, 2006, 10:19:56 AM
Quote from: Homer on June 27, 2006, 09:34:27 AM

I did not call names.....was actually called a racist and my posts all got deleted?   :ooo  I guess learned my lesson will keep my thoughts to myself......now I will go to the corner and pout! LOL   :ll

First, this quote isn't directed to you.

Second, there wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the offensive signs found at the link you decided to post.

Thanks for the explanation - I can understand now - I was just wanting an explanation!  O0   I am fairly new to the forum and now I know what to do with the posts that are offensive.  Thanks for moderating such a great forum!

Mr. Scandalous

Quote from: ArmyWife on June 27, 2006, 07:18:33 AM
Quote from: Mr. Scandalous on June 27, 2006, 03:55:26 AM
I'm in Iowa, so it's kind of similar here where you're at...

I am in Iowa too - small world!  West side of the state!

I too think that English should be required.

Cool! I'm in FD, so you have to be somewhere around me then, hee!

Quote from: bubblegum on June 27, 2006, 09:35:17 AM
wow blue, you must have pissed somebody off. Rarely does someone respond to me anymore so I must have.

I think I must've too because I always feel like I'm being ignored on here. *sigh*  :-\

foxx

Quote from: Mr. Scandalous on June 27, 2006, 03:05:04 PM

I think I must've too because I always feel like I'm being ignored on here. *sigh*  :-\

Did anybody hear that?   >>:D

Lmao...just kidding! If you want to not be ignored...go to the Highjack Thread! 

Gecko

why dont you just learn how to speak australian   lol  i know 2 in here  that would be happy.  ones me ,  this is a good point and topic  but i still think we all should lighten up a bit  , 
BTW don't some illegal immigrants  speak perfect english  . to me i take people  how they are not by colour of skin or where they come from     ,  theres really nice people in this world from all walks of life  <3

tponka

I would like to add that anyone getting ANY job in the US should be required to have a basic mastery of English.  I needed medical attention in the Tampa Airport this weekend, and I had to ask FOUR airport employees for directions to the first aid station before I could find anyone who could speak English.  Granted, my injury was minor and only needed an icepack, but what if someone was having a heart attack or something? 

Blu

Quote from: tponka on June 27, 2006, 07:34:51 PM
I would like to add that anyone getting ANY job in the US should be required to have a basic mastery of English.  I needed medical attention in the Tampa Airport this weekend, and I had to ask FOUR airport employees for directions to the first aid station before I could find anyone who could speak English.  Granted, my injury was minor and only needed an icepack, but what if someone was having a heart attack or something? 

So deaf mutes can't work under your idea.

damian666

Quote from: BluRaven on June 27, 2006, 08:07:36 PM

OMG someone takes things way too literally.  :o

Mr. Scandalous

Quote from: foxx on June 27, 2006, 03:26:46 PM
Quote from: Mr. Scandalous on June 27, 2006, 03:05:04 PM

Did anybody hear that?   >>:D

Lmao...just kidding! If you want to not be ignored...go to the Highjack Thread! 

Hee, well, that's how I feel sometimes on here because it seems like people read my posts, then either leave without commenting or just report.

Yes, I've noticed some of my posts have been deleted when nothing I said could've been offensive, so I don't understand why it happens. I remember saying something about Pogo Mini's and I noticed it was deleted and I think I know who reported it, tsk tsk... I honestly have nothing against those type of people and was simply stating that Pogo should consider making that type of Mini. Then I noticed my "Funny Songs" post was deleted... do you people lack a sense of humor? Do you think I'm trying to bash the person who sings that song or the group of people it speaks of as a whole? Just because this one person who reports me doesn't agree with that scene doesn't mean you need to go and isolate it from everyone else.

Yeah, this is probably the wrong topic to put it in, but I'm as clueless as Blu was.

Blu

Quote from: damian666 on June 27, 2006, 08:16:55 PM
Quote from: BluRaven on June 27, 2006, 08:07:36 PM

OMG someone takes things way too literally.  :o

OMG, then tell me where I may be wrong in interpreting the following: "anyone getting ANY job in the US should be required to have a basic mastery of English."

Anyone refers to any person at all. Any job refers to all jobs in our American workforce. Therefor, deaf mutes (who fall under 'anyone') would not be allowed to work "ANY job" under the idea above.

Now, had I gotten literal, I would have questioned her use of "basic mastery of English," since mastery is a possession or display of great skill or technique within a subject. I'd question the validity of English mastery due to the idea that millions of true Americans have yet to master English, as is apparent here and in everyday conversation where people do not display great skill or technique. Let's not get literal, though.

tponka

Ok I will reword slightly and clarify:  Anyone who must communicate with the public or coworkers should have a mastery of basic English.  The law protects people with handicaps against discrimination, however, that protection is valid ONLY if the handicap does not interfere with the person being able to do his or her job.  No, a deaf mute should not be hired as TSA staff in an airport, for example.

clayton1966

Rather than having a basic "MASTERY" of English. How about a basic UNDERSTANDING? I know when I was in Germany I in no way had a mastery of German. BUT I could order dinner. I could get directions back to the base. And I could buy anything that I wanted. OH!!! And the most important. I could find a bathroom.  :)))  All of this was possible with a few well chosen phrases and holding out a hand full of money. (for the buying stuff). I probably got ripped off something fierce when I was shopping. But I got what i wanted. And if I felt that i was being taken to much advantage of I could always shake my head, take my money, and leave. If as a young GI in a foreign country I MUST make an effort to be understood why is it not the same in America? I understand that this country is BASED on immigrants. Our language is a mish mash of MANY differrent languages now. But for the most part it's still English. Maybe the most common spoken language will be different 10 years down the road. (Mexican Spanish?). But for the last couple of hundred years it's been English. Why do we have to pay for printing voting forms is multiply languages? Why must we hire interpreters for social services? I can see needing interpreters in Courts. That is where they are needed to send illegals BACK!! As for the private sector that requires you to be bilingual to work for them?  That's THEIR choice. They are just trying to stay competitive. I'm not gonna tell anyone how to run there business as long as the meet all existing health and safety codes. I agree the to become a citizen you should have to at least be able to have a basic understanding of reading and speaking English. (How else are you gonna be able to read the road signs or find the bathroom?). Well. This is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

foxx

Quote from: clayton1966 on June 28, 2006, 07:35:35 AM
Why do we have to pay for printing voting forms is multiply languages?

So should we stop printing the braille and large print ones too?

Why must we hire interpreters for social services? I can see needing interpreters in Courts. That is where they are needed to send illegals BACK!!

Just yesterday our agency needed an interpreter for a young woman who was a mail-order bride getting a Restraining Order from her abusive husband.  She will also require an interpreter when she goes to apply for social service benefits and schooling.  Interpreters are not just there for "illegals".

Blu

Quote from: foxx on June 28, 2006, 07:46:53 AM
Quote from: clayton1966 on June 28, 2006, 07:35:35 AM
Why do we have to pay for printing voting forms is multiply languages?

So should we stop printing the braille and large print ones too?

Why must we hire interpreters for social services? I can see needing interpreters in Courts. That is where they are needed to send illegals BACK!!

Just yesterday our agency needed an interpreter for a young woman who was a mail-order bride getting a Restraining Order from her abusive husband.  She will also require an interpreter when she goes to apply for social service benefits and schooling.  Interpreters are not just there for "illegals".

Maybe after sending the "illegals" back, then we can fortify our northern (yes, those Canadians are the true threat to ous economy) and southern borders to enclose us from all other cultures. This will slowly purify our nation as a race of one!  Oh wait, that's been attempted before by Hitler.

Homer

Quote from: BluRaven on June 28, 2006, 09:56:37 AM
Maybe after sending the "illegals" back, then we can fortify our northern (yes, those Canadians are the true threat to ous economy) and southern borders to enclose us from all other cultures. This will slowly purify our nation as a race of one!  Oh wait, that's been attempted before by Hitler.

So I guess "illegals" should just be allowed to do anything they want then?

There is a process for gaining entry into this country legally. Why is it unreasonable to ask people to follow the rules?

Is it that outrageous that people should be expected to learn the English language. I think not. After all they are the ones who decided to move to a English speaking country. What's next? German? French? etc.

I think your taking things a bit to the extreme with the Hitler comment.

hades

nanners

What I don't understand is........WHY do I have to push 1 for english?!?!? Why don;t they have to do it for Spanish.!?!? I was here first!!  ::)

Libra

Quote from: nanners on June 28, 2006, 11:00:47 AM
What I don't understand is........WHY do I have to push 1 for english?!?!? Why don;t they have to do it for Spanish.!?!? I was here first!!  ::)

They do.  1 for English, 2 for Spanish. 

Down here, it's 1 for English  2 for Spanish 3 for Creole and 4 for French.  :D

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview