Pogo Daily Sudoku : Score 60000 points this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Addiction Solitaire HD : Win 28 games this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Whats your thoughts on this ?

Started by Gecko,

Previous topic - Next topic

foxx

Quote from: ABraveLady on July 22, 2006, 08:55:07 AM
It's not much different than it is here in the US.  When you're on welfare, the more kids you have the more welfare you get.  Too many families are making welfare a career path, rather than a helping hand.  In my oh, so humble opinion (which I am always willing to share)  welfare payments should be limited to the size of your family at the time you end up on the wefare rolls.  The problem is there is no way to force people not to have children, and we can't allow innocent babies to starve or live on the streets because their parents make bad choices.  So it goes back to the morality of the population and I don't know how to solve this problem.  If parents aren't teaching morality, and we know it's not being taught in the schools, then the kids are not going to learn it and we have an out of control snowball.  I took my kids out of public school to homeschool.  I can't begin to tell you the garbage going on the public schools and all I CAN say about it is that if your kids make it out of the public schools alive, you should count your blessings.

::: stepping off my soap box now :::

*Hopping on Soapbox....

A single person on welfare receives $203 cash/month.
A family of 2 receives $316/month.
A family of 3 receives $405/month.
A family of 4 receives $529/month.

I don't know about you...but if I were a single mom, I certainly couldn't raise 3 kids on $529 a month.  That wouldn't even pay rent on an efficiency. 

If you actually know someone who is using welfare as a "career path", I would be interested in learning how they do it.  This is just a myth perpetuated by the right.

Julez

Wonder what the monthly pay out is if you combine welfare, food stamps, and WIC?  Remember that most of those on welfare also get Section 8 housing.

My husband and I thought about giving up our American citizenship for an Aussie one, but we just can't part with our guns.

Libra

Quote from: foxx on July 25, 2006, 07:16:44 AM
Quote from: ABraveLady on July 22, 2006, 08:55:07 AM
It's not much different than it is here in the US.  When you're on welfare, the more kids you have the more welfare you get.  Too many families are making welfare a career path, rather than a helping hand.  In my oh, so humble opinion (which I am always willing to share)  welfare payments should be limited to the size of your family at the time you end up on the wefare rolls.  The problem is there is no way to force people not to have children, and we can't allow innocent babies to starve or live on the streets because their parents make bad choices.  So it goes back to the morality of the population and I don't know how to solve this problem.  If parents aren't teaching morality, and we know it's not being taught in the schools, then the kids are not going to learn it and we have an out of control snowball.  I took my kids out of public school to homeschool.  I can't begin to tell you the garbage going on the public schools and all I CAN say about it is that if your kids make it out of the public schools alive, you should count your blessings.

::: stepping off my soap box now :::

*Hopping on Soapbox....

A single person on welfare receives $203 cash/month.
A family of 2 receives $316/month.
A family of 3 receives $405/month.
A family of 4 receives $529/month.

I don't know about you...but if I were a single mom, I certainly couldn't raise 3 kids on $529 a month.  That wouldn't even pay rent on an efficiency. 

If you actually know someone who is using welfare as a "career path", I would be interested in learning how they do it.  This is just a myth perpetuated by the right.

Exactly, Foxx. $529 a month wouldn't buy my groceries.  I go to Costco once a month and spend more than that.  Then, I spend about $80 every week for perishables at Publix.  And that's just for Kenny and I. Hell, my electric bill is close to $300 a month! 

Stinkerbell

It's actually not as difficult as you think it is.  For example, we hear all the time that it's cheaper to feed 2 than it is to feed 1.  You don't use much more electricity or water for additional kids, and food bought in bulk is cheaper anyway AND schools provide free breakfasts and lunches.  And yes, I do know someone who did this and was making a small fortune in the process because for the most part, very little of the money was actually spent on the children anyway.  Now, the way she was paid, she got x amount of dollars to pay her rent and utilities and food stamps for groceries.  She brought in way more than $500 per month, did it all on her own with the welfare payments and she was able to take her kids to disneyland 2x a year and eat out at McD all the time.  I can't afford to do that.

foxx

Quote from: Spoonz on July 25, 2006, 09:20:05 AM
Wonder what the monthly pay out is if you combine welfare, food stamps, and WIC?  Remember that most of those on welfare also get Section 8 housing.

My husband and I thought about giving up our American citizenship for an Aussie one, but we just can't part with our guns.

Really?  Which state do you live in?  Because I have about 223 cases open, with women who are on welfare or working, and not one of them can get section 8...

And WIC gets you some cereal and milk, peanut butter and juice. 

Good gawd people.  Don't just buy into the rhetoric.  Do some research.

liebe_angel

ummm lets see how they do it!!! section8 housing, food stamps, plus the wic. and lets not forget "ABOUT" some not all of them drug deals goes a long way or  it is here I mean come on there a family that has a 2002 jag that is on welfare in section-8 housing having kids left and right now you tell me what's happening. ok I'll stop before I really start ranting

Julez

I currently live in the NE.  When I was a teenager and living with my father, stepmom, 2 stepsisters, and my half brother in Oklahoma, we got Section 8 housing, food stamps, and welfare.  All the while, my stepmom was working her tuckus off and my father sat on his happy behind.  So yeah, I've been there and it's far from fun.

Libra, you need to start using coupons and quit the Costco!  Buying in bulk is not always the cheapest route.

Stinkerbell

I started a new thread regarding grocery bills.  I hope you'll all check it out.

damian666

I live on CO and in this state you can get on housing, you move to the projects and pay about 100 a month or less for rent. You do not have to pay water or gas in these. You have to pay electric, but we have a thing called diversion that will take care of that bill, then you can receive TANF that will give you cash depending on how big your family is. That alone can take care of rent and phone. Then you get WIC to buy the basic necessities and food stamps to buy the rest of your food needs. We even have a restaurant in town that takes food stamps for take and bake pizza. Trust me, this is the busiest place in my town. Then we have posada that can help with school clothes and help finding a car and basically anything else. Then you can get on medicaid and not have to pay any medical expenses. Then you can get on SSI for a little extra income. Whewwww. I think thats about it. Oh I forgot Catholic Charities that will help pay utilities and rent also.

foxx

Quote from: Ungrateful Alive on July 25, 2006, 11:39:35 AM
I live on CO and in this state you can get on housing, you move to the projects and pay about 100 a month or less for rent. You do not have to pay water or gas in these. You have to pay electric, but we have a thing called diversion that will take care of that bill, then you can receive TANF that will give you cash depending on how big your family is. That alone can take care of rent and phone. Then you get WIC to buy the basic necessities and food stamps to buy the rest of your food needs. We even have a restaurant in town that takes food stamps for take and bake pizza. Trust me, this is the busiest place in my town. Then we have posada that can help with school clothes and help finding a car and basically anything else. Then you can get on medicaid and not have to pay any medical expenses. Then you can get on SSI for a little extra income. Whewwww. I think thats about it. Oh I forgot Catholic Charities that will help pay utilities and rent also.

Similar to Pennsylvania benefits...

...but to assume that people enjoy living like this, or that they are raking in the dough and MAKING MONEY from the government is just ludicrous.  If you all really wanna get pissed at people taking advantage of the government, look at the oil companies, Halliburton and the super rich.  They probably pay less in taxes than you do. 

Quote from: liebe_angel on July 25, 2006, 10:02:27 AM
ummm lets see how they do it!!! section8 housing, food stamps, plus the wic. and lets not forget "ABOUT" some not all of them drug deals goes a long way or  it is here I mean come on there a family that has a 2002 jag that is on welfare in section-8 housing having kids left and right now you tell me what's happening. ok I'll stop before I really start ranting

To assume that drug dealers are people taking advantage of the welfare system is a dangerous path to go down.

Libra

Quote from: Spoonz on July 25, 2006, 10:22:19 AM
I currently live in the NE.  When I was a teenager and living with my father, stepmom, 2 stepsisters, and my half brother in Oklahoma, we got Section 8 housing, food stamps, and welfare.  All the while, my stepmom was working her tuckus off and my father sat on his happy behind.  So yeah, I've been there and it's far from fun.

Libra, you need to start using coupons and quit the Costco!  Buying in bulk is not always the cheapest route.

Yeah, it is for the things we buy.  We only buy meats, toilet paper and paper towels  It saves us about $200 a month.  

And Spoonz?  I grew up in almost an identical enviroment in Appalachia.  And it IS far from fun.  I spent many of winter nights growing up with no heat.  

damian666

Quote from: foxx on July 25, 2006, 11:43:45 AM

...but to assume that people enjoy living like this, or that they are raking in the dough and MAKING MONEY from the government is just ludicris.  If you all really wanna get pissed at people taking advantage of the government, look at the oil companies, Halliburton and the super rich.  They probably pay less in taxes than you do.  

To assume that drug dealers are people taking advantage of the welfare system is a dangerous path to go down. 

These entities can afford lawyers to find every loophole to bring down how much taxes they pay, so I will agree that they probably pay less then me.  >:((

Stinkerbell

...but to assume that people enjoy living like this, or that they are raking in the dough and MAKING MONEY from the government is just ludicrous.  If you all really wanna get pissed at people taking advantage of the government, look at the oil companies, Halliburton and the super rich.  They probably pay less in taxes than you do. 

I totally agree that most people do not enjoy living on welfare, but I know for a fact there are a lot who wouldn't TRY to get off the welfare rolls for anything.  Valerie, the girl I was speaking about who took her kids to DLand 2x a year - her father owned a car dealership and tried to get her to work there and her mother was a legal secretary for a city in Los Angeles County and tried to get her to work there too, but Valerie wouldn't do it.  She had no motivation.  She was thrilled to sit home all day watching soaps !

foxx

Quote from: ABraveLady on July 25, 2006, 01:36:18 PM

I totally agree that most people do not enjoy living on welfare, but I know for a fact there are a lot who wouldn't TRY to get off the welfare rolls for anything.  Valerie, the girl I was speaking about who took her kids to DLand 2x a year - her father owned a car dealership and tried to get her to work there and her mother was a legal secretary for a city in Los Angeles County and tried to get her to work there too, but Valerie wouldn't do it.  She had no motivation.  She was thrilled to sit home all day watching soaps !

There is always a rotten apple in the bunch.  But...a family/individual can only be on TANF/General Assistance for 5 years in their LIFETIME.  The work requirements kick in after 6 months.  Perhaps this one woman found her way around the system, but this is not the majority of people.  That's all I am trying to say.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: foxx on July 25, 2006, 01:41:49 PM

There is always a rotten apple in the bunch.  But...a family/individual can only be on TANF/General Assistance for 5 years in their LIFETIME.  The work requirements kick in after 6 months.  Perhaps this one woman found her way around the system, but this is not the majority of people.  That's all I am trying to say.

Believe it or not Foxx, you made my day.  I researched TANF and found that it went into effect in 1997.  The case I was speaking of was in 85-87 (87 is when I moved away and didn't keep in touch with her).  She had been making welfare (as it was then called) her career path and it irked the heck out of me because I was working my tail off while she sat home doing nothing. 1x a month I would take her grocery shopping and help her pick out healthy but yummy food for the family that she could make.  I found out she was taking a lot of it back to the store for cash and doing the McD thing.

Many years ago I had also seen a program on a 60 minutes type show that went into detail about how the welfare system was being abused and they actually referred to the families as 1st generation, 2nd generation, 3rd generation welfare recipients, etc.  I hope that when those people got knocked off the rolls they were able to become productive, contributing members of society and I mean that.

Now, all that said, I also found this and it's a quote directly from the TANF website listed under FACT SHEET:

"    *  States may extend assistance beyond 60 months to not more than 20 percent of their caseload. They may also elect to provide assistance to families beyond 60 months using state-only funds or Social Services Block Grants."

So, though I am thrilled to see that it's harder to do, it is very possible for families to continue to collect via state funds, and some even via TANF funds, which brings us back to the point that yes, they can sit on the rolls for years and years and years - far beyond 5 years - on SOME SORT of welfare program.

foxx

Quote from: ABraveLady on July 25, 2006, 05:03:42 PM
Quote from: foxx on July 25, 2006, 01:41:49 PM

Believe it or not Foxx, you made my day.  I researched TANF and found that it went into effect in 1997.  The case I was speaking of was in 85-87 (87 is when I moved away and didn't keep in touch with her).  She had been making welfare (as it was then called) her career path and it irked the heck out of me because I was working my tail off while she sat home doing nothing. 1x a month I would take her grocery shopping and help her pick out healthy but yummy food for the family that she could make.  I found out she was taking a lot of it back to the store for cash and doing the McD thing.

Many years ago I had also seen a program on a 60 minutes type show that went into detail about how the welfare system was being abused and they actually referred to the families as 1st generation, 2nd generation, 3rd generation welfare recipients, etc.  I hope that when those people got knocked off the rolls they were able to become productive, contributing members of society and I mean that.

Now, all that said, I also found this and it's a quote directly from the TANF website listed under FACT SHEET:

"    *  States may extend assistance beyond 60 months to not more than 20 percent of their caseload. They may also elect to provide assistance to families beyond 60 months using state-only funds or Social Services Block Grants."

So, though I am thrilled to see that it's harder to do, it is very possible for families to continue to collect via state funds, and some even via TANF funds, which brings us back to the point that yes, they can sit on the rolls for years and years and years - far beyond 5 years - on SOME SORT of welfare program.

I am always glad to help out with information!  Just for reference, the SSBG's are normally awarded through DPW to non-profit agencies such as mine, which helps to move these families toward self-sufficiency...so there is not usually any money to extend people's clocks...

Glad you researched it!  The internet can be such a powerful tool...ya just gotta know where to start!

:/\

Gecko

does anyone  think ive made you dislike comming to Australia over this topic  , my reasons for this topic was to show how diff our goverments are  as we cant judge australia  or australians  over what the goverment thinks would be better off for us , the point i was making with this topic was  that we have an imigration policy  and now a baby bonus  personly i think women in general with babys need more than this pittance there offering  mothers , and like introduced things  i think if  any goverment  is giving  handouts for having   a baby then it should at least be age capped  so as not to see our young ppl trying to get banged up just for money 

, this topic no way reflects  on me knocking our country its a topic and thats all it was ment to be  , so if any aussies at all got offended by what i posted here it wasnt ment to offend anyone nor put our beautiful country Australia  down in any way shape or form
:-[

Tara

No, not me. But if I do I'm having 3 babies before I leave..  :)) :)) :))

Gecko

Quote from: Tara on July 29, 2006, 06:05:47 PM

um  an aussie father to your 3 babies   that means homer would have to become an aussie  hey and maybe he could work with the croc hunter lol wouldnt that be a sight for sore eyes   :))

Tara

Quote from: Gecko on July 29, 2006, 06:15:46 PM
Quote from: Tara on July 29, 2006, 06:05:47 PM

um  an aussie father to your 3 babies   that means homer would have to become an aussie  hey and maybe he could work with the croc hunter lol wouldnt that be a sight for sore eyes   :))

I was just going to collect the money and run.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview