PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 03:32:35 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

AOL Members

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

I connect to the internet via cable, but have kept my AOL account because it's been easier to control how my young kids are able to surf the web.  I've been paying 7.95 per month for this, but yesterday I called to cancel the account and found out that they are already offering BYOA (bring your own access) customers AOL free of charge.  I've been reading that they MIGHT, but they actually are.  SOOOOOO, anyone else connecting to AOL through cable or dsl... call them up - call the cancellation number - and ask about it.  I asked the rep if it applied to new customers also and she said no, it does not.

ClingFree

Quote from: ABraveLady on July 25, 2006, 06:07:50 AM
I connect to the internet via cable, but have kept my AOL account because it's been easier to control how my young kids are able to surf the web.  I've been paying 7.95 per month for this, but yesterday I called to cancel the account and found out that they are already offering BYOA (bring your own access) customers AOL free of charge.  I've been reading that they MIGHT, but they actually are.  SOOOOOO, anyone else connecting to AOL through cable or dsl... call them up - call the cancellation number - and ask about it.  I asked the rep if it applied to new customers also and she said no, it does not.

Actually this is good to know. My gramps has just recently gone to DSL and hasnt wanted to cancel his AOL due to the email address that the entire family uses .. Thanks for sharing this!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: ClingFree on July 25, 2006, 06:51:37 AM
Quote from: ABraveLady on July 25, 2006, 06:07:50 AM

Actually this is good to know. My gramps has just recently gone to DSL and hasnt wanted to cancel his AOL due to the email address that the entire family uses .. Thanks for sharing this!

You're welcome!  It really is good to know... more people than we realize connect to AOL this way and why pay for something you don't have to pay for?  When I told the rep I wanted to cancel, she said 'you're only paying $7.95 per month' and I told her that equals about $95 a year and if she didn't think it was very much, perhaps she'd be willing to pick up the tab.  LOL   Anyway, they do NOT want people to leave all together so they are giving it away free and counting on advertising to pay the bills. 

hades

ClingFree

Quote from: hades on July 25, 2006, 08:28:39 AM
think ill call them today and see.

Let me know how it works. I'll try Grandpa's prolly next weekend ...

TmT

Quote from: ClingFree on July 25, 2006, 08:31:52 AM

Ah man... then AOL is screwin me.  I have BYOA... for over a year and they charge me 9.99 a month.  I was gonna cancel AOL when I got DSL and for the same reasons stated above; I didnt wanna lose my AOL friends and etc.  I been with AOL for over 11 yrs.   The cancellation dept represented the 9.99 monthly fee as a great deal to keep me from leavin. Damn, now I feel like I jus been screwed, also, I have unlimited conx.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Tokens  Master Tagger on July 25, 2006, 08:41:53 AM

Ah man... then AOL is screwin me.  I have BYOA... for over a year and they charge me 9.99 a month.  I was gonna cancel AOL when I got DSL and for the same reasons stated above; I didnt wanna lose my AOL friends and etc.  I been with AOL for over 11 yrs.   The cancellation dept represented the 9.99 monthly fee as a great deal to keep me from leavin. Damn, now I feel like I jus been screwed, also, I have unlimited conx.

Don't feel too bad, you're not alone.  They even have a 4.95 rate that doesn't include any dial up time (incase your cable or dsl is down).  But they won't tell you anything voluntarily.  You have to say "i know you're offering this..." and really talk like you're going to cancel because it's too expensive.  So, if you call about this free connection via cable or dsl, tell them you read about it online or heard it from a friend and see what they tell you.  If they don't cooperate, ask for a supervisor.  I hate it when they pick and choose who they will offer what plan to.  I got the 7.95 because I agreed to a 1 year contract.

TmT

Quote from: ABraveLady on July 25, 2006, 08:49:21 AM
Quote from: Tokens  Master Tagger on July 25, 2006, 08:41:53 AM

Don't feel too bad, you're not alone.  They even have a 4.95 rate that doesn't include any dial up time (incase your cable or dsl is down).  But they won't tell you anything voluntarily.  You have to say "i know you're offering this..." and really talk like you're going to cancel because it's too expensive.  So, if you call about this free connection via cable or dsl, tell them you read about it online or heard it from a friend and see what they tell you.  If they don't cooperate, ask for a supervisor.  I hate it when they pick and choose who they will offer what plan to.  I got the 7.95 because I agreed to a 1 year contract.
I'm callin today.  I will post any response. <crossin finger that they will agree to stop screwin me... it's painful> (poutin... feelin the pain... it hurts)

Julez

AOL is the spawn of Satan  >>:D and Earthlink isn't much better!

Yahoo email is free and won't change when I move every 2-4 yrs.  I just call the cable co and set up cable inna net - I have the modem and router.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Spoonz on July 25, 2006, 09:15:07 AM
AOL is the spawn of Satan  >>:D and Earthlink isn't much better!

Yahoo email is free and won't change when I move every 2-4 yrs.  I just call the cable co and set up cable inna net - I have the modem and router.

I think that AOL was the best thing to happen to the net because it forced other companies to start offering more services less expensively.  But, when cable and dsl came along I knew it wouldn't take long for AOL to have serious problems.  I know they started offering broadband connection but the people I knew who had it had nothing but problems.  I am sure it's great in some areas, but not here.  We are too close to the mountains, or so they told us.

Julez

Too close to the mountains?!  Sounds like a crock to me lol!  Does broadband use a wireless signal like satellite TV?  If it doesn't, then I fail to see how your topography would interfere.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Spoonz on July 25, 2006, 10:25:20 AM
Too close to the mountains?!  Sounds like a crock to me lol!  Does broadband use a wireless signal like satellite TV?  If it doesn't, then I fail to see how your topography would interfere.

That's how it was explained to me, that it was a wireless type signal.  I can tell you that we have certain areas in my neighborhood that cannot get a cell signal, perhaps that's because of the mountains also?  I dunno :)

damian666

I had AOL and when I got my cable connection I called to cancel and they gave me the service free FOREVER.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Ungrateful Alive on July 25, 2006, 11:24:44 AM
I had AOL and when I got my cable connection I called to cancel and they gave me the service free FOREVER.

How long ago was this?  And see what I mean... they don't offer the same things to different people.

Mayhem

I just tried getting in on that deal and they offered me a $15/month package (which doesn't make sense since my current package is only $10/month)

Then I told them I would be cancelling my account at the end of this month and they told me "have a nice day".

Yeah .. AOL cares about it's customers  ::)
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Libra

Quote from: Mayhem on July 25, 2006, 11:57:43 AM
I just tried getting in on that deal and they offered me a $15/month package (which doesn't make sense since my current package is only $10/month)

Then I told them I would be cancelling my account at the end of this month and they told me "have a nice day".

Yeah .. AOL cares about it's customers  ::)

:)) :))

I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh.  But jesus Mayhem!  EVERYONE got offered a better deal than what they have!  They offered you one where you pay more!  That's HILARIOUS!  (I know, I have a sadistic sense of humor)

Seriously, call them back.  I honestly think it all depends on who you get on the phone. 

Blu

LMAO...I have had BYOA since like 02, $14.95/month. I want it free! Hell, even $9.99 would be nice lol.

Libra

Quote from: BluRaven on July 25, 2006, 12:05:13 PM
LMAO...I have had BYOA since like 02, $14.95/month. I want it free! Hell, even $9.99 would be nice lol.

I guess you men just suck at bargaining!  :)) :))

EyeCu

I didn't even know this thread existed lol. I called two days ago to cancel my account and the gentleman on the phone cancelled my account right away and put me on the free service, and on top of that gave me a credit. I guess it was the cute voice *giggles* ;P

hades

i called today and got it reduced to $4.95 a month for both accounts.  ;D

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview