PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 10:50:32 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Gas War: Station Sets Price at 49 Cents

Started by Tara,

Previous topic - Next topic

Tara

Gas War: Station Sets Price at 49 Cents
By Associated Press
Thu Jul 27, 7:54 PM

CLOVIS, N.M. - A price war between two Clovis gasoline stations reached a fever pitch when one store dropped its fuel price to 49 cents per gallon.

The price war between Town and Country and Allsup's convenience stores snarled traffic in the eastern New Mexico town as about 200 vehicles lined up Wednesday to buy cheap gas, blocking the stores and a local fire station, Clovis Fire Marshal Allan Silvers said.

Silvers said he put an end to the battle because the traffic was a public safety hazard. He asked the stores "if there was anything they could do reasonably to remedy the situation."

Allsup's raised its fuel price from 49 cents to $2.83 a gallon and Town and Country raised its 99 cents per gallon price tag to $2.86, Silvers said.

"They raised prices on their own accord to dispel the traffic and after that was done, as you can imagine, people lost interest," Silvers said.

On Tuesday, the stores were selling below wholesale costs.

Dan McCurdy, a spokesman for Town and Country Food Stores, told The Clovis News-Journal on Tuesday that the competition has been going for several weeks. He said the Allsup's store has dropped its price per gallon to remain an average of 3 cents lower than Town and Country.

"In very simple terms, we're staying competitive with our competitors. We're not going to lose our customers because they're offering a lower price," McCurdy said.

Isn't that something?  Shows you that we are being overcharged if they can go that low to sell gas right? They do that crap here also between stations every now and then, but they never drop it 2.50 a gallon  :ooo

crazy_

well up here in Canuck land at least in Ontario, gas is around 1.09 a litre so it equals out to about 5 bucks a gallon give or take a cent.  :xx  glad I don't own a car

Tara

Quote from: crazy_ on July 29, 2006, 08:05:50 AM
well up here in Canuck land at least in Ontario, gas is around 1.09 a litre so it equals out to about 5 bucks a gallon give or take a cent.  :xx  glad I don't own a car

Yeah, I know we shouldn't be complaining about under 3.00 a gallon gas. Others have it worse. I think I will move to Amish country and ride in a buggy.  :))

bobby

i haven't seen gas under $3.00 is a loooong time, over here it's around 3.65  :ooo

Stinkerbell

Quote from: bobby on July 29, 2006, 08:15:22 AM
i haven't seen gas under $3.00 is a loooong time, over here it's around 3.65  :ooo

You must be in CA too.   :'((

Tara

WOW Bobby, did you get gas in the smallest town in IL?   :))) You know those towns that have like 20 people and the gas station is the gas station, grocery store, post office, police station, fire station and DR. office all in one?

Was it last weekend I went to Ohio? Hell I don't remember, but anyways. It was the first time I paid over 3.00 a gallon. It was $52.01 to fill my car up.  :ooo  I've paid 2.99 here, but not 3.00.

bobby

Quote from: Tara on July 29, 2006, 08:21:38 AM

WOW Bobby, did you get gas in the smallest town in IL?   :))) You know those towns that have like 20 people and the gas station is the gas station, grocery store, post office, police station, fire station and DR. office all in one?

Was it last weekend I went to Ohio? Hell I don't remember, but anyways. It was the first time I paid over 3.00 a gallon. It was $52.01 to fill my car up.  :ooo  I've paid 2.99 here, but not 3.00.
if chicago is the smallest town :)))

Tara

Quote from: bobby on July 29, 2006, 08:26:56 AM
Quote from: Tara on July 29, 2006, 08:21:38 AM

if chicago is the smallest town :)))

Uh it's not the smallest by far.  The first time I was in downtown Chicago driving by myself I was like  OMG!!!  I didn't know where I was going, I was by myself. I was right downtown trying to find a place to park. People on bicycles and people walking would just go right in front of you. I was like OMG!  I got to the point I was scared to even move my car and I was on a main street.  I was not prepared for that at all. So ummm Chicago is not the smallest town. I thought you lived more towards Joliet?

bobby

nope, i'm in the south-west part of chicago, about 10 minutes away from comiskey park, joliet is about a 2 hour cruise

hades

gas prices are eh...esp when its like $70 for a full tank.  :-\

EyeCu

Yah, I have an suv and gas can get very expensive. Especially since it's a v8 :\

~Ãutolovér~

You should all drive a car like mine....petrol's real cheap.  :P

Tara has one too....I've seen her drive it, mad driver lol.  >>:D

Tara

Quote from: ~Ãutolovér~ on July 29, 2006, 09:40:06 AM
You should all drive a car like mine....petrol's real cheap.  :P

Tara has one too....I've seen her drive it, mad driver lol.  >>:D

I want to trade mine if for a blue one!!

Julez

Tara if you think Chicago is bad, try Staten Island!  We've got Nyers, Jerseyites, Keystone morons (lol I was born and raised in PA), and Massachusett-holes on this 15 mile long island.  Un-frelling-real how utterly devoid of common sense and semi-proper driving skills these ugly bags of mostly water (Star Trek- human) have.

I'd take CA roads and drivers over Yankee drivers anyday!  (Yes, I've driven through CA, OR, and WA many many times)

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Tara

Quote from: Spoonz on July 29, 2006, 11:13:00 AM
Tara if you think Chicago is bad, try Staten Island!  We've got Nyers, Jerseyites, Keystone morons (lol I was born and raised in PA), and Massachusett-holes on this 15 mile long island.  Un-frelling-real how utterly devoid of common sense and semi-proper driving skills these ugly bags of mostly water (Star Trek- human) have.

I'd take CA roads and drivers over Yankee drivers anyday!  (Yes, I've driven through CA, OR, and WA many many times)

LMAO!! Love the description.. :))

Tara

Quote from: Homer on July 29, 2006, 12:07:36 PM
The only driver I have is in my golf bag. :P

The only driver I have, is the owner of that golf bag.  :P  :))

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Libra

My next car will be equiped to run on E85 ethanol.  I will no longer line the pockets of Big Oil, nor will I contribute to global warming.  ;)

Tara

Quote from: Libra on July 29, 2006, 02:34:53 PM
My next car will be equiped to run on E85 ethanol.  I will no longer line the pockets of Big Oil, nor will I contribute to global warming.  ;)

Yeah what she said.

Lib both of our last car payments are in July next year right?  I got mine Aug 6th. I don't know when my last payment is acutally. It automatically comes out of my checking account. So I don't pay attention.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview