PlayBuddy
September 21, 2024, 12:49:17 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Wireless Internet

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

Hi!  I am wanting to go to wireless internet because I'm tired of cables running all over the house.
The cable co. wants to charge me $100 to install and set up 3 computers, and the modem rental is 10 per month.
Now, I can do the math and I know I can buy a wireless modem and one doohicky for our computer that doesn't have a wireless card, so here's the question - how hard is it to set it up?  Is it reliable?  Is it hard to encrypt?
Can I still pull the plug if one of my kids is online too late at night?  And, which brand do you recommend?

Thanks! :) ;::

Libra

Quote from: ABraveLady on August 05, 2006, 06:25:37 PM
Hi!  I am wanting to go to wireless internet because I'm tired of cables running all over the house.
The cable co. wants to charge me $100 to install and set up 3 computers, and the modem rental is 10 per month.
Now, I can do the math and I know I can buy a wireless modem and one doohicky for our computer that doesn't have a wireless card, so here's the question - how hard is it to set it up?  Is it reliable?  Is it hard to encrypt?
Can I still pull the plug if one of my kids is online too late at night?  And, which brand do you recommend?

I use Linksys at home and at work and I'm happy with it.  The one at work had to be installed by professionals because it didn't have the "doohicky" for the older computers.  The one at home was easy because the new lap top was already wired.  I did it by myself following the intructions.  Go to your local computer store and tell them what you have and they'll tell you what you need.  If you can't get the computers up and running, then call in a professional.

Tara may be able to answer this better than me.  She's got her entire house wired.  ;::

Good luck, BraveLady!

Homer

I'm going to buy a wireless router soon myself. I installed one for a friend and the cd pretty much walks you trough the process.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

smokyrain

They are pretty simple yes to set up... I have a Motorola wireless and hardwired router. My laptop already has built in wireless lan so with windows xp it is pretty easy to set up and the encryption part is fairly simple too. The software usually has a wizard and will walk u through it.
I have 3 computers hooked, 2 hard wired and 1 wireless, and then my laptop is wireless. On the 1 wireless computer I used a Belkin wireless card and it works perfectly. Wasnt too expensive at all too setup. But then I bought my stuff off Ebay brand new.

Motorola WR850G about $45 and the Belkin Wireless card I maybe paid about $40 also. The rest of the stuff I had.

Tara

Quote from: Libra on August 05, 2006, 06:43:31 PM
Quote from: ABraveLady on August 05, 2006, 06:25:37 PM

I use Linksys at home and at work and I'm happy with it.  The one at work had to be installed by professionals because it didn't have the "doohicky" for the older computers.  The one at home was easy because the new lap top was already wired.  I did it by myself following the intructions.  Go to your local computer store and tell them what you have and they'll tell you what you need.  If you can't get the computers up and running, then call in a professional.

Tara may be able to answer this better than me.  She's got her entire house wired.  ;::

Good luck, BraveLady!

Nope, sorry I can't answer this one. I don't have wireless, theres a reason why, but I don't remember it..lmao 

I wish I had it right now, so I could lay up in bed and type.

tponka

I have a Netgear wireless router and have my desktop and modded xbox set up wired, while my tablet is wireless.  My network is encrypted so neighborhood lurkers can't hack in and hijack my bandwidth.  However, with the password, any computer with wireless capabilities can easily get on my network.  You'll need the router, the dsl or cable modem (whichever service you have), and network cards for each computer you want on the network.  As for knocking your kids off at night, that would be a bit tricky.  Slashdot.com would be a good place to look for solutions to that problem. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview