PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 10:41:58 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Swim or Die

Started by TmT,

Previous topic - Next topic

TmT

Ok, last night was my first night of swimmin lessons. First, I have aquaphobia.  Pools, beaches, lakes... ponds.. any body of water frightens the hades outta me.  I  have so much fear its unbelievable for an adult.

Last night my teen daughter and I joined "adult swimmin classes".  I put my head under water for the first time in over 30 yrs (smilin wont give the true yrs).   I actually blew bubbles under water.  OMG... He had me to float and kick my feet.  Last part of the lesson, I had to do the hand strokes.   I am so freakin afraid of water... I am so afraid, I am skeer to go to lesson 2.

Is there any advise anyone has to help me conquer this fear.  I hate to quit.  I really hate to disappoint myself and my daughter.... But I am skeered to death of water.

Help!!

Homer

What does this have to do with pogo?  :)))

Good gawd woman go get some and wake up. LOL

Here I'll throw you a so you don't drown.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

TmT

Quote from: Homer on November 03, 2006, 08:26:23 AM

shut up...its jus a discussion... u never tell ppl who ask for "prayer" what does it has to do with POGO... fallin outta chair lol....

I am so afraid... its jus a discussion... someone out here in this 15,000+ membership certainly is afraid of water like I am.

And... what does jokes... and games...recipes have to do with POGO?

Homer

Quote from: Tokens  Master Tagger on November 03, 2006, 08:29:53 AM
Quote from: Homer on November 03, 2006, 08:26:23 AM

shut up...its jus a discussion... u never tell ppl who ask for "prayer" what does it has to do with POGO... fallin outta chair lol....

I am so afraid... its jus a discussion... someone out here in this 15,000+ membership certainly is afraid of water like I am.

And... what does jokes... and games...recipes have to do with POGO?

Ummmm......I'm not the one who posted the topic in the General Pogo Discussion thread. :)))

TmT

rofl.. ok.. so I do need some coffee.....<rollin on floor lmao hard> U know what... tryin to type but laughin so hard.. u know.. I honestly didnt think general was for only pogo related issues.  I'm jus gettin up and all I can think about is last night.  Im shakin think about what I did...and do I have the nerve to try next Tues for lesson2.   I am so dang freaked out that I actually laid down in water is throwin off my thinkin today.  U jus dont have no clue what a skeer  :o0 I am.  My therapist would be so proud of me  :))  :))

Ok.. my bad

You always right... Homer is always right... let the record show.. Mr D' is always right... (lmao wont tell u what that d stand for) rofl

Homer

It's ok. We all make mistakes. :P

I think the swimming thing is mostly mental. I think your fear of water overcomes the physical ability to swim. Sorta like a paralyzed by fear thing. I'm not a good swimmer myself. I need a lifeguard in the

TmT

Quote from: Homer on November 03, 2006, 08:42:03 AM

I think the swimming thing is mostly mental.
lmao...uh.. it starts with the brain first to do anything, every thought forms in the brain first... so heck yeah I know its mental... <pee'n on myself laughin so hard>

My therapist would high 5 you on the "mental conclusion"...

I know I have mental issues when it comes to water.  A 5 yr old is braver than me.  I cant equate my fear with a 3 yr old... even a 3 yr old is not afraid of water.  I p' myself each time its my turn to do somethin in the water... thank God for clorine.  (yes...ewwwww)

Homer

Quote from: Tokens  Master Tagger on November 03, 2006, 08:46:11 AM
Quote from: Homer on November 03, 2006, 08:42:03 AM

I think the swimming thing is mostly mental.
lmao...uh.. it starts with the brain first to do anything, every thought forms in the brain first... so heck yeah I know its mental... <pee'n on myself laughin so hard>

My therapist would high 5 you on the "mental conclusion"...

I know I have mental issues when it comes to water.  A 5 yr old is braver than me.  I cant equate my fear with a 3 yr old... even a 3 yr old is not afraid of water.  I p' myself each time its my turn to do somethin in the water... thank God for clorine.  (yes...ewwwww)

OK. You stay in the shallow end then. You know they give kids these tablets to eat and when they pee in the pool it turns the water a different color.

I suggest that you try to learn with someone you trust. Just knowing someone you can trust is with you can help you feel a little more at ease and make the lessons easier. I would start with learning to float but what do I know. LOL

TmT

He started us floatin first...then kickin.... then hand strokes.

Lesson was in 3 parts.

Well technically, it was more parts than that.  First thing was get your ears wet... omg... I hated that... oh man, I hated that...Ok I passed that.. then get your hair wet.  Last blow bubbles in the water thru your nose under water.  After that, he then taught us to float. 

Float kickin off the wall holdin his hand, kickin our feet.

Float kickin off the wall kickin now movin our arms-strokin.

Lastly... do both above alone w/o him touchin you.  That part...nearly caused me a heart attack... lmao

I will go again....but this time... I'm takin a valium!

bams68

I'm so glad for you Tokens. Hey you are doing awesome, you have already started taking those steps into overcoming your fear. I am sure it'll take sum time to really overcome this ...but think of it as a way to spend sum time with ur childrena n also helping urself as well. Before you know it, it won't be an issue anymore. I wish you the best and Well Done  :/\ .

Ur Deer Friend
bams !@!

TmT

tyvm Bams... I prayin to overcome this so this summer I can go to the beach or pool and join in with other friends and family that do swim instead of sittin and watchin.... for so many years (that i dont wanna say)  I always sat back and watch.

Besides...biggest motivator is my boyfriend can swim...and I dont wanna sit back with him or be limited to pool side activities or shallow water play... lol

wattsmyname

Tokens You have already taken the biggest step in overcoming your fear of water. Most people never make an effort and you are well beyond the first step. Make sure you reward your self with a nice and very expensive Designer Swim Suit!!! You deserve it!!!  WTG!!! :D

bams68

Ur welcome, sounds like a lifetime change for you and I really hope you find the courage to continue and get ur game on in the water at the beach this summer.  O0

Ur Deer Friend
bams !@!

Tara

Oh gawd...I will have to come back to comment here when I have time to write a book.  !@!

Homer

Quote from: Tara on November 03, 2006, 11:26:42 AM
Oh gawd...I will have to come back to comment here when I have time to write a book.  !@!

Gossip material huh? :)))

harley89

Tokens hang in their my mother is well into her 70's and never overcame her fear of water.  And as someone said learn with someone you trust and you can do it.  Now can anyone help me overcome my fear of needles.

bams68

Needles?? Yuck, I am with you on that too. Don't like them at all. My son went for a major blood work on the 27 of October, and I just freaked. I couldn't look or console him. I was lucky his dad was there.....I felt so horrible. I'm just glad they can find a good spot for him. As I need a miracle when I have to have it done.  :-\ You're not alone

Ur Deer Friend
bams !@!

TmT

rofl.. u and Homer both go jump in the lake....

*thank everyone else for their support
...Uh.. the 70 yr old mother encouragement made me laugh so hard... wonderin jus how old Harley think I am.... <reachin for my dentures and bi focals>

Homer

Quote from: Tokens  Master Tagger on November 04, 2006, 06:01:11 AM

...Uh.. the 70 yr old mother encouragement made me laugh so hard... wonderin jus how old Harley think I am.... <reachin for my dentures and bi focals>

Remember when they make you blow bubbles under the water they don't mean fart bubbles. ?.?  :)))

TmT

Quote from: Homer on November 04, 2006, 07:28:38 AM
Quote from: Tokens  Master Tagger on November 04, 2006, 06:01:11 AM

Remember when they make you blow bubbles under the water they don't mean fart bubbles. ?.?  :)))
lol.. I can control the gas... its the pee pee that I cant control... I guess a few years older... I be sayin worst, oh well... I'll jus wear a diaper.  Harley already puttin me compared to his 70 yr old mother.... man... Im agin real fast here.. .. must be the chlorine.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview