PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 03:18:21 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

block downloads

Started by lovebug44,

Previous topic - Next topic

lovebug44

My kid keep downloading that limewire and it f@@ks up the computer i ask her to stop but she dose it enyway can i block thangs that i dont whent her to download if so how  :OO :OO

who me?

If your running windows XP you can set her up a separate account.
Set your own account up as administrator and password protect it.
She can surf the web and do everything you normally can do except download things without your password or permission.
You can either allow her to view your files and folders or make them private so only you can see them. And you can set up like community files and folders for pic and stuff so everyone can see and share.
But don't give her your password if she needs to download something, just enter it yourself.
If your not running windows XP well this won't help you any, and I'm not sure how to do it on any other operating system.
I'm sure there might be someone out there or a program that might be able to help you.  O0

lovebug44

who me?

go to - start - control panel - user accounts - create new account - then you name it - for her you make it a limited account....wah lah  O0

bams68

I have limewire myself, an it works ok. Reason is cuz Limewire and alot more come with spyware n all that junk. I think if u are ok with a downloading site like that...try bearshare lite....make sure it's the LITE version. As all other programs come with all the junk an tend to give ya trouble. Also you can download Webroot Spysweeper and also the window washer and they will catch sum of the things that come with these programs.

Best thing is to not have them at all. I'm not sure how old your daughter is and I know if she's old enough she probably knows what these programs are an just wants to get sum music or sumthing which is kewl - Lord knows I have.....I use Bearshare Lite everyday for most all movies and music that I like and if I enjoy the file enough I'll go out n purchase the real copy.

Again with programs like these ya gotta have full monitoring of there activity as there is more xrated junk on there then anything else. Best thing is not to have it all...but if you were gonna install any of them - I suggest Bearshare LITE as it comes completely free of that junk. Whenever opening the program however in ur downloads section...you'll keep getting an upgrade...try to keep cancelling that at all times...never clearing it thou after cancelling it...as it'll just try to download back. It's nothing much but seems whenver the upgrade is ready to install....you have a terrible time getting movies.

Dunno ur feelings towards such programs but I just wanted to give my info on them and what seems to be the best one that I know of. Just incase you allow her to use them.

Wish u luck on solving the problem, and ur all happy with the decision. Music files can come with alot of virus's which is why alot do not use these programs...an it's important to have programs such as virus protection and these spysweepers are great. Window washer is used after you are done searching the web...it'll clean all traces of ur activity.

Ur Deer Friend
bams

a-dhold

try this:

in Internet Explorer(7) (probably same steps for 6)

click tools
select internet options
select security tab
select the internet icon
select custom level
scroll down to downloads section
under file download select disable

when they try to download anything ie will pop up a box sayong the security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.

it won't stop every-one (since they can follow the steps above to reverse it) but it may stop the novice pc user if they don't know about all the settings available in ie.

justahumping

The easy way to fix this problem is to to go: google and download "Spybot-S&D" and install that program. when you install that free program there is a place you can add websites that you want to block from your computer. Download that program, get the up-dates for it, let it run, (it is a great, free program) then add the websites that you do not want your daughter to download

a-dhold

won't work - if you google "limewire download" you can download it from 2,190,000 different sites.

Quote from: justahumping on December 24, 2006, 04:21:12 PM
then add the websites that you do not want your daughter to download

justahumping

a-dhold

Quote from: justahumping on December 24, 2006, 08:17:56 PM
Why wont it work? It works for everyone else. 
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10122137.html

ok it will work if you type in all 2 million + sites

heres the list http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=limewire+download

start typing.

justahumping

funny. everytime that I update it. it adds the known sites that has spyware and crap for me... However, that is why there is different programs out there. one for everybody so just take your pick

a-dhold

deleted

a-dhold

deleted

justahumping

as I said in my first post. add that site to the program.
I am done with this subject. I did not come here to get in a word match. Just to offer a little help was all.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview