This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Poppit! Bingo : Pop 150 Prize Balloons this week! [Download Cheat]
Word Search Daily HD : Find 300 words this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Crazy Computer...

Started by SoaringUSAEagle,

Previous topic - Next topic

SoaringUSAEagle

Well, here is my problem... Every hour or so... Sometimes it lasts 3-4 hours before doing this...

But, I can be doing nothing... I can reboot and leave it on my desktop and not touch it and come back later and its frozen.  And other times I can be playing online games and all of a sudden I cant move my mouse or anything.

This happened to this computer a few months ago, and I took it to the computer shop here in town where I bought this refurbished hunk of junk from, and they told me it was the motherboard, so they replaced it free of charge as it was, and still is, under warranty.  It seemed to run fine until a few weeks ago and it started pulling the same crap again.

I was wondering what else it could be, and dont tell me spyware or any of that because it has been doing this for the past couple weeks, and I just formatted my computer again 3 days ago, and that didnt seem to work, so now its definitely a hard ware issue, but is it my hard drive, motherboard, or processor... or even possibly something else?  And please dont say Video Card because I just bough an $80 128MB XTASY one two days ago.

Thanks in Advance...  I really need to get this fixed once and for all.  This is really all I can tell you detail wise, because thats just what happens.... all of a sudden, WHAMMMMMM I cant move my mouse and have to hold the power button til my computer turns off and then boot it up again.

simps

number of things could happen. here are some things to try

1.check your memory for errors. use memtest86.com

2.change your power saving on your motherboard and os

3.got enough power for that video card? i think 350w should do it

4.computer is overheating

5.since it is refurbished, it could be the programming or overclocking of the mother board

SoaringUSAEagle

Thank you simps.  I will run that site tomorrow.

Other than that, everything should be ok.  The power is enough, only requires 250 watts... And the guys at the shop should know better than to overclock anything, and I know my processor and that isnt over heating.

If push comes to shove, I will take it back to them and wont be so nice this time.  It took em a week just to turn the damn thing on last time, so we'll see.

Thanks again,

- Jeff

badcrazygirl

my computer crashed and now it wont turn on but were getting it fixed today

bob@pogopal

Jeff,

It could be anything. It could be something as simple as dust inside the case (vacuum) or a loose card (try pushing down on each card to make sure each is securely seated in its slot--don't do this to the little memory daughter boards, though), heat, a failing hard drive etc.

Back-up everything you need before taking the computer in for service.

Good luck with it!
Bob

TonySoprano

A buddy of mine had the same problem.. He would also get errors when rebooting, sometimes.  Changed the motherboard battery (1.99$) workes fine now. :o

SoaringUSAEagle

Quote from: TonySoprano on May 22, 2004, 08:15:48 PM
A buddy of mine had the same problem.. He would also get errors when rebooting, sometimes.  Changed the motherboard battery (1.99$) workes fine now. :o

heh... thats an idea... I may do that.

Thanks

SoaringUSAEagle

Well, I did go out and buy a new battery for my motherboard and I don't think thats the problem now.... Stayed up maybeeeeee 10 minutes and it froze again. 

I am going to take this in tomorrow and fight with them until its fixed, even if that means for them to replace my system.  I have everything backed up... So we will see but this is absolutely aggravating... Cant get anything done... And then when I think all is going well when it stays up for ever 2 hours.... WHAMMMM  freezes.

Stupid stupid stupid COMPAQ!!!!!!!!! Never again!!!!!!!!!

badcrazygirl

TonySoprano

Sorry I couldnt help, at least ya got a new battery out of the deal   :P Buy an HP

badcrazygirl

lol, sry don't have the money i wish i can get a job i have to wait til my teeth heal i just had my Sergury 2 weeks ago now i'm waiting for my mom to call so i can get my false teeth

SoaringUSAEagle

Quote from: TonySoprano on May 23, 2004, 09:22:44 AM
Sorry I couldnt help, at least ya got a new battery out of the deal   :P Buy an HP

heh dont worry about it.. It was worth a try.... and dare say this, but my system has been up over an hour and doing ok.

And dark..... gl with the recovery.  I couldnt imagine having false teeth as a teenager... I hope all goes well.

Homer

Yeah good luck with your teeth. I once had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled in the same day. Ouch! >:(

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

SoaringUSAEagle

Quote from: Homer on May 23, 2004, 11:09:36 AM
Yeah good luck with your teeth. I once had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled in the same day. Ouch! >:(

I had 3 of them taken out last summer, same day as well.... the fourth one is coming down in now... They said it should be a good working tooth and thats why they didnt remove it..... I wish they would have.

Homer

Oh did I mention....I hate going to the dentist. LOL :P

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

fatkid

Quote from: TonySoprano on May 23, 2004, 09:22:44 AM

Out of all of the companies that make low-end consumer machines, HP is what I would recomend over any of their competetors (HP, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc)... At my schools library we have all of our computers on 3 year cycles; after 3 years they are replaced with brand new machines...  With these we keep pretty close watch on how well these machines stand up to the test of time.  One of the worst problems we had was with Dell... When we were still purchasing Dell computers, we had a DOA (dead on arival; doesn't work when we get it in) rate of over 20%!!!  Over 1 out of 5 computers we recieved from Dell had to be shipped back... HP so far has been our best computer supplier; DOA rate of around 5%...

I would suggest if you are looking for a better system altogether, to go with either
Sony - both laptops and desktops are made to a very good standard... My Viao laptop has lasted for a LONG time, and gone through alot of beatings.
Apple - the G4 iBooks are TOP of the line, some of the very best laptops on the market... The new G5 desktops are some of the most impressive desktop machines available now (dual 64 bit processors, 1gHz FSB, SATA HDDs, Firewire 800)... The list just goes on and on... With the new OSX 10.3 it really is all of the PC you could ever need... Plus Apples hold their value better than any other PCs on the market... The depriciation for Wintel PCs in outrageous when compared to the Apples (10-20% of original purchase price compared to 55-75% for the Mac after 4 years on the market)...

Element

man, my family has some bad history with teeth...a year or somthing ago someone tried to break into my aunts house and she walked in on him and the guy(it was actually a kid) had a hammer and he startted hitting my aunt in the face with it...if my grandpa didnt show up with his gun she probably would have been killed, but my aunt got all of her front teeth knocked out  :-[  :'( The kid ran off and was never caught.

just recently my crazy uncle got into a fight with a guy over some work and he got a few of his front teeth knocked out  ::)

btw, sorry that the battery didnt work for ya jeff  :(

badcrazygirl

A store near my house is going to be hiring soon at least that's what one of the workers told me ssince i know a few people in there i should be able to get it hopefully.

SoaringUSAEagle

Taking this in again tomorrow.  It stayed up for 10 hours yesterday with no problem, then froze right before i went to bed... Was frozen when I got up, and then again when I got home at lunch today, and just now as I returned from school. 

I have no words to express my anger toward this computer, and the people I took it to WHICH DIDNT EVEN BOTHER TO TURN THE THING ON!

- Jeff

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview