PlayBuddy
September 21, 2024, 04:28:06 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Peter Pan Peanut Butter Recall

Started by Tara,

Previous topic - Next topic

Tara

Peanut Butter Recalled Over Salmonella
By JOSH FUNK, AP Business Writer
6 hours ago

OMAHA, Neb. - ConAgra Foods Inc. told consumers to discard certain jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter after the spread was linked to a salmonella outbreak that has sickened almost 300 people nationwide.

Lids of jars with a product code beginning "2111" can be returned to ConAgra for a refund, the company said.

The salmonella outbreak, which federal health officials said Wednesday has sickened 288 people in 39 states since August, was linked to tainted peanut butter produced by ConAgra at a plant in Sylvester, Ga. How salmonella got into peanut butter is still under investigation, said Dr. Mike Lynch, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

CDC officials believe the salmonella outbreak to be the nation's first stemming from peanut butter. The most cases were reported in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee and Missouri.

About 20 percent of all the ill were hospitalized, and there were no deaths, Lynch said. About 85 percent of the infected people said they ate peanut butter, CDC officials said.

ConAgra officials said it was unsure why the CDC identified peanut butter as the source of the problem. Its own tests of its peanut butter and the plant have been negative, but it shut down the plant so it can investigate, spokesman Chris Kircher said.

"We're trying to understand what else we need to do or should be doing," he said.

Kircher called the recall a precaution. "We want to do what's right by the consumer," he said.

ConAgra officials haven't said how much peanut butter is covered in the recall. The Peter Pan brand is sold in 10 varieties, according to ConAgra's Web site. The Great Value brand, which is also made by other companies, is a Wal-Mart brand.

He said the CDC contacted the Food and Drug Administration, which sent investigators to the Georgia plant to review records, collect product samples and conduct tests for salmonella.

Kircher said ConAgra makes peanut butter only at the Sylvester plant, for distribution nationwide.

ConAgra randomly tests 60 to 80 jars of peanut butter that come off the line each day for salmonella and other pathogens, he said.

"We've had no positive hits on that going back for years," Kircher said.

The plant itself is also regularly tested, he said, though he didn't know how often. He said none of those tests have detected salmonella either.

The latest outbreak began in August, with no more than two cases reported each day, CDC officials said. Only in the past few days did investigators hone in on peanut butter as a source, Lynch said.

Other states reporting cases are Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

Salmonella infection is known each year to sicken about 40,000 people in the United States, according to the CDC. Salmonellosis, as the infection is known, kills about 600 people annually.

Symptoms can include diarrhea, fever, dehydration, abdominal pain and vomiting.

The recall does not affect Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers, the FDA said.

Shares of ConAgra stock rose 13 cents to $25.98 in morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

___

To get a refund, consumers should send lids and their names and addresses to ConAgra Foods, P.O. Box 57078, Irvine, CA 92619-7078. For more information, call (866) 344-6970.

http://www.comcast.net/news/health/index.jsp?cat=HEALTHWELLNESS&fn=/2007/02/15/587864.html&cvqh=itn_peanutbutter

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

CindyLouWho

I just checked my 2 jars of Peter Pan peanut butter, & the #'s on both lids start with 2111, but 1 jar is almost empty so it should be ok since no 1 got sick right? lol  The other jar hasn't been opened yet. 

Ms.Behavin

thanks for reminding me. I saw this last night on t.v. and was gonna check today but forgot. lol O0

Tara

Quote from: CindyLouWho on February 15, 2007, 03:17:17 PM
I just checked my 2 jars of Peter Pan peanut butter, & the #'s on both lids start with 2111, but 1 jar is almost empty so it should be ok since no 1 got sick right? lol  The other jar hasn't been opened yet. 

OMG..I guess you will live since your not sick...Make sure to send both of your lids in for a refund using that addy at the end of the post about it.

Mr. Rasputia

Tara

I have a jar with the number starting with 2111 also...I wasn't even going to look..I figured our PB was outdated and needed be thrown away...lol

Ms.Behavin

give it loCo, at least that way it wont go to waste. He is a walking garbage disposal. lmao!

CindyLouWho

:)) :))

Since it didn't make us sick, i'll finish the peanut butter but still send my lids in anyway    :)))

Ms.Behavin

Quote from: CindyLouWho on February 15, 2007, 06:38:33 PM

Since it didn't make us sick, i'll finish the peanut butter but still send my lids in anyway    :)))

watch Cindy post from the e.r. telling us "I shouldn't of eaten the last of that peanut butter."

Tara

Quote from: Ms.Behavin on February 15, 2007, 06:43:33 PM
Quote from: CindyLouWho on February 15, 2007, 06:38:33 PM

watch Cindy post from the e.r. telling us "I shouldn't of eaten the last of that peanut butter."

Lmao...probably

Ms.Behavin

harley89

Had 2 jars both had the 2111 #. Since hubby is the only that eats it he now thinks I am trying to kill him. 

Tara

Quote from: harleyrider on February 16, 2007, 05:40:29 AM
Had 2 jars both had the 2111 #. Since hubby is the only that eats it he now thinks I am trying to kill him. 

LOL Men... ::)

Ilovemyweims

player444

Funny..  I went to Publix last week and they had this giant bin full of Peter Pan.  Buy 1 Get one free.  No wonder!   I am a Jiff er too..

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview