PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 09:16:49 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Belichick fined $500,000 for videotaping incident

Started by gator8_24,

Previous topic - Next topic

gator8_24

Belichick fined $500,000 for videotaping incident

September 13, 2007
FOXBORO, Massachusetts (Ticker) - Roger Goodell went to the videotape and came down hard on New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

The NFL on Thursday fined Belichick $500,000 - the maximum amount allowed under the league constitution and by-laws - for violating league policy by attempting to videotape the offensive or defensive signals of the New York Jets' coaching staff during Sunday's season opener.

The league also fined the Patriots organization $250,000 and stripped the club of a conditional draft pick in 2008. If the Patriots reach the playoffs this season, they will forfeit their own first-round pick; if they miss the playoffs, the penalty will be a second- and third-round pick.
"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell wrote in a letter to the Patriots.

According to NFL policy, no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game and that all video shooting locations for club coaching purposes must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead.

Goodell determined that the Patriots' use last Sunday of the video camera, which was seized before the end of the first quarter, had no impact on the outcome of the game, which was won by the Patriots, 38-14.

In addition, Goodell said he believed the team's ownership was unaware of the actions by Belichick. Nonetheless, the commissioner levied the fine of the club because, he wrote, "Belichick not only serves as the head coach but also has substantial control over all aspects of New England's football operations. His actions and decisions are properly attributed to the club."

Goodell also said he considered a suspension for the three-time Super Bowl-winning coach.

"I specifically considered whether to impose a suspension on Coach Belichick," Goodell wrote. "I have determined not to do so, largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension." The commissioner informed the Patriots that their coaching video program would be closely reviewed and monitored by the league - effective immediately.

On Wednesday, Belichick attempted to clarify his position in the matter and apologized to his players and team ownership.

"Earlier this week, I spoke with Commissioner Goodell about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game, and my interpretation of the rules," Belichick said. "At this point, we have not been notified of the league's ruling.

"Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players. Following the league's decision, I will have further comment."

Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, issued a memo to league coaches and general managers on September 6, 2006, to address such issues.

"Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game," Anderson wrote.

Earlier in the week, the New York Daily News reported that Jets coach Eric Mangini, a longtime assistant under Belichick, basically was responsible for the league catching the Patriots in the act. Citing sources, the newspaper said Jets security tipped off league officials, who then confiscated the camera.

Mangini attempted to distance himself from the matter during his media briefing Wednesday.

"This is all a league matter. I understand the interest in it, but our focus now is Baltimore and we're going to let them (the league) handle that," Mangini said.

Asked if he was aware of the Patriots videotaping signals when he was a member of Belichick's staff, Mangini said. "It's a league issue. They are handling it and we are really focused on the Ravens."

The Jets' coach also said he had not been in contact with league officials regarding the matter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiLZNlM_1b4y_ZXu7O8l5s05nYcB?slug=txpatriotsbelichick&prov=st&type=lgns

Homer

They are also forcing the Patriots to change their logo to the one below.

:)) :)) :))

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Monkey

I don't see legitimate reason why they would even think about suspending Belichick.  :-\ It's not like the guy with the camera was being sneaky about it.

The way they punished them was good enough.. the fines + suspension + no draft pick would have been way too harsh.

The Patriots will be getting the last laugh anyway in another 5-6 months.  :)))

swamp

Quote from: Homer on September 13, 2007, 06:57:01 PM

:)) :)) :)) :)) good one boss  O0

kandykitty20012

Quote from: Homer on September 13, 2007, 06:57:01 PM

OMG ........    Good One Homer..... :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview