PlayBuddy
September 21, 2024, 04:56:32 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Pogo deleted my account today

Started by zaring,

Previous topic - Next topic

zaring

I am new here so I am not sure where to post this, please forgive me if I am in the wrong area.
I just need some advice on a terminated account.

Pogo deleted my account today because I said the word "queer"

What Pogo sent me:

Your Electronic Arts On line account has been permanently terminated from the Electronic Arts On line service for violating the Terms of Service. The account will no longer be accessible in any way, and all property, items, and characters associated currently are or will soon be deleted.

Account Violations:
10-22-07
Abusive Language
*My Username* 21:25:11 queer

As the decision in this matter is final, please know that it is possible that no further correspondence regarding this account will be acknowledged. This action was necessary due to the repeated nature of the offenses on the account. We regret having to take this final step, but it is entirely necessary on behalf of protecting the Electronic Arts On line community.

We respectfully ask that you please do not phone or email Electronic Arts regarding this matter from this point forward. We also ask that you understand and respect all statutes within the Terms of Service, as they still contractually apply to you as per the original agreement, especially the sections regarding terminated members of the service.

Repeated nature of the offenses -- 2005/2006. I used swear words....
But there was no offense this time to be added to the prior offense so I should still have my 'last chance'

Some player was talking with me about how people get reported for no reason and my only reply was queer.
Queer being --- hmm odd how they do that.
Pogo said it was abusive! I know people will use the word when they talk of a homosexual but that wasn't the case here!

I took four on line dictionaries and copied all the meanings of the word queer and sent it to EA.....they wont reply to me!

If I may show you what I sent to EA so you can get a better idea of where I am coming from......

*My Username*

My account has been permanently terminated from the Electronic Arts On line service for violating the Terms of Service.
I used the word QUEER and you have decided I have used it in manner that breaches the TOS.

Lets look the word queer up shall we?

1.its a term used to describe homosexuals.

2.queer generally means 'strange', 'unusual', or 'out of alignment'. It might refer to something suspicious or 'not quite right'

-wikipedia

Based on the second of the two meanings I could say this game of poker is queer today and be meaning there is something just not right about this game of poker today.

More?

Queer \Queer\, v. t. [From Queer, a.]

1. To puzzle. [Prov. Eng. or Slang]

2. To ridicule; to banter; to rally. [Slang]

3. To spoil the effect or success of, as by ridicule; to throw a wet blanket on; to spoil. [Slang]

4. Mysterious; suspicious; questionable; as, a queer transaction. [Colloq.]

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

queer (kwîr)
adj. queer·er, queer·est
1. Deviating from the expected or normal; strange: a queer situation.
2. Odd or unconventional, as in behavior; eccentric.
3. Of a questionable nature or character; suspicious.
4. Slang Fake; counterfeit.
5. Feeling slightly ill; queasy.
6. Offensive Slang Homosexual.

-TheFreeDictionary

So yes, It can mean homosexual and be classed as abusive but who makes the call I was using it in that manner? I don't recall any person that was in the lobby talking about homosexuals etc.

Point 5 from the free dictionary lists it to mean -- Feeling slightly ill; queasy.

Are you to claim I cant say I am feeling queer and it is to mean I am feeling sick?

Based on the English language you have no right to delete my account.

I am not a "smart" person but I really don't feel I did wrong. They have taken it to mean a certain way but how can they just assume?

Can I do anything about this? Should I let it go or fight?

I had 12 mil tokens and had been a club member for over 2 years. I don't cheat or use auto progs.
I had used "bad" words long ago and I think they are adding that to this and that is why I was deleted.

I am very upset about this because pogo is my life-  pathetic you say?
I am very sick and cant have a normal life, pogo gives me the change to talk with others, make friends and play games.

I am now using my sisters account because she never uses it. Better then nothing I guess right?

Two weeks ago I just brought a heap of gems, game booklets and pogo to go games and now the gems etc are worth nothing. I cant transfer them, I cant use them, I lost out big time.

Any advice?

Sorry it is so long and all over the place, I tried to show all sides of why they have deleted me. Again sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Ebonite

If it were me, I would dispute all of those charges from two weeks ago with your credit card company (if you used a credit card), along with any other charges for Pogo that could still be disputed.

Other than that, I don't think there is much more, legally, that you can do. Pogo owns the bat and ball and they can pick them up and go home anytime they want... For any reason, or absolutely NO reason.

PogoKaz

You could write to them, sending the letter by recorded delivery.  Send it to their complaints department and the chairman.  I would be less abrasive with the letter as well.  The email you sent could come across as talking down to them which will only get their backs up further.

Taking it one step further you could ask a solicitor to write to them.

TBH I can't see that there is anything you can do, as per the terms and conditions they have the right to withdraw an account without reason if they so wish.

You probably have to chalk it up to experience.  If you use another account, (make sure you don't have a static IP otherwise they will ban the IP address as well) NEVER chat.

On a slightly similar note of unacceptable words, I was playing Gin the other day in a private room with a friend and threw the wrong card away.  I typed woops into the chat box and it was blanked out.  :{:

Stinkerbell

It really is unfortunate, but I'm with you and never chat.  I don't do anything to draw attention to myself at all.  Always flying UNDER the radar, so to speak.
Good luck.

john82379

yep i dont talk in chat either, if I do chat with anyone i do it in private chat not out in the main room, people report u for no reason all the time it's not worth it

harley89

Safest way on Pogo is chat off.  Been playing that way for quite a few years.  If you have friends you must chat with use the private chat but even that is not 100% safe.  Pogo does what Pogo wants it may not always be fair  or make sense but it is theirs.    Course when you keep chat off you run the risk of being reported anyway.  Seems some people cnat stand others who keep it quiet

disneyland lady

I would contact Southern Poverty Law Center and let them know EA is being anti-gay.  :{x They are tireless about these issues. And I would contact BBB about it because it is very ODD that someone would take a STRANGE term and use it to delete your account without so much as a QUERY. You can just google anti-gay and find lots of sites that will bug the heck out of Pogo for you over this issue. I know..... My childhood friend had her last name in her ID and they suspended her - her last name......GAY I told her that it was stoopid to have her first and last name in any ID.

disneyland lady

xgingerx

Tara

Quote from: disneylandlady on October 23, 2007, 09:10:28 AM
I would contact Southern Poverty Law Center and let them know EA is being anti-gay.  :{x They are tireless about these issues. And I would contact BBB about it because it is very ODD that someone would take a STRANGE term and use it to delete your account without so much as a QUERY. You can just google anti-gay and find lots of sites that will bug the heck out of Pogo for you over this issue. I know..... My childhood friend had her last name in her ID and they suspended her - her last name......GAY I told her that it was stoopid to have her first and last name in any ID.

disneyland lady

Yep..now days when you need help go to a organization to get them to fight for your rights.  Queer is probably in one of the word games in Pogo anyways. I don't know that for sure, but it might be,

zaring

Thanks for all the advice. I wrote then four times and no reply so I wrote I would report them to the BBB and got a reply right away....

Thank you for contacting Online Customer Support.

We have reviewed the terminated account in question as per your request. After reviewing the matter, it is clear that your actions violated the Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct of EA Games in a manner justifying the account termination.

Regarding "Queer" has hate speech, just because one party may not find it offensive, does not mean that others wont find it offensive, and as hate against a group of people. Since you were reported for using that word, as well as the context it was found to be said, we will not be reversing that decision.

Once an account is terminated for violating the Terms of Service and/or Rules of Conduct that account can never be reactivated for any reason. After a period of 90 days from the time your account was terminated you can petition to be allowed back onto EA Games. If you are allowed to return it would be with a new account. Your old account would remain terminated.

Please review http://www.ea.com/global/legal/tos.jsp for more information. Please take care.

Pogo Arrenai
Player Relations
Electronic Arts

I figured I wont use pogo anymore and find a new game site but still write EA just to bug them...lol
Funny thing is I am bisexual - and have told EA that!

Tracey

lol you should of told them it is in one of their tumble bees words lol i would for a laugh ... if ur not going back to pogo .. try valusoft arcade..use to be called slingdot ..they are more or less the same

Ebonite

Yep, I spell the word 'queer' in tumble bees all the time. How can be offensive if it's in their games?  :o

Tara

Quote from: Tracey on October 24, 2007, 05:41:35 PM
lol you should of told them it is in one of their tumble bees words lol i would for a laugh ... if ur not going back to pogo .. try valusoft arcade..use to be called slingdot ..they are more or less the same

Quote from: Ebonite on October 25, 2007, 09:43:30 PM
Yep, I spell the word 'queer' in tumble bees all the time. How can be offensive if it's in their games?  :o

I knew someone know that. They shouldn't take away someones account if it's in their games.

gin

I am so sorry this happened to you. I know first hand the term ( "Pogo is my life"),  as I too am very ill and  and can't leave my house and have a "NORMAL LIFE".  I have had queer many time in Tumble Bees. I wish I could do something to help you. May all " Reporters"  fingers fall off!!!    :.@    I have never reported anyone and never will.   

angel ray

I lost mine but i called them and ranted and raved three days in a row and they gave me back my name. maybe i was lucky

BadgeBabe

You had a run of the mill 72 hour suspension. Pogo hands them out quite often for minor infractions. They were going to lift the suspension after  the same 3 days anyway.
You are lucky that it didn't turn into a permanent account suspension ( aka having your account closed) if you were rude to one of the CS people at EA, though.

If anyone ever has a similar problem with their account, whether justified or absolutely idiotic, it helps to  remember- You will get a much more positive response if you are courteous and polite, and state your side of things clearly and factually. Sometimes, the EA phone reps. do not speak English extremely well, and sometimes, their patience is next to 0. I imagine that they are subjected to cursing and otherwise harrassed all day long, every day.

Quote from: angel ray on November 05, 2007, 06:04:04 AM
I lost mine but i called them and ranted and raved three days in a row and they gave me back my name. maybe i was lucky

FreecellFanny

"You get further with a kind word and a gun than you do with just a kind word."

- Alfonse Capone

raine56

xxunluv3dlizxx

Quote from: FreecellFanny on November 05, 2007, 03:49:39 PM
"You get further with a kind word and a gun than you do with just a kind word."

- Alfonse Capone

haha love it

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview