PlayBuddy
September 19, 2024, 03:17:46 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Phlinx II : Win 18 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Spades HD : Take 150 tricks this week! [Download Cheat]
Monopoly Sudoku : Gain 150,000 Monopoly dollars from filling puzzle cells this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Tear Stains in Dogs

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

My little white Bichon, Romeo, has tear stains developing.  I've done some research on the web and it seems to be caused by red yeast or red food dyes added to dog foods.  It's tough to find which products work best for removing and/or preventing the stains.  Anyone have any ideas?

xgingerx

Homer

I'm sure if you called a vet they might be able to answer your question.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

bones

there is a product called tear clear you can buy at pet stores that works good my english bulldog gets those tear stains as well and thats what we use.Hope that helps

Stinkerbell

Quote from: bones on November 06, 2007, 10:06:02 AM
there is a product called tear clear you can buy at pet stores that works good my english bulldog gets those tear stains as well and thats what we use.Hope that helps

Is this product topical or is it taken orally?  Thank you!

Homer

Quote from: ABraveLady on November 06, 2007, 02:39:57 PM

:ooo

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer on November 06, 2007, 02:45:20 PM

Shame, shame on you, Homer.   :oo   

Homer

Quote from: ABraveLady on November 06, 2007, 05:47:20 PM
Quote from: Homer on November 06, 2007, 02:45:20 PM

Shame, shame on you, Homer.   :oo   

:)) :)) :))

BadgeBabe

HI,
The eye cleaners  I have used and am familiar with are topical solutions and IMO, they are more trouble than they are worth for Bichons. My dogs fur gets matted while I am trying to get the staining off. Some does eventually come off, but since the stuff is used so close to the eyes, it is obviously very mild. IOW, it doesn't do much at all, LOL.

2 of my Bichons are having the same problem. I am thinking it may be seasonal allergies since they didn't have the stains until recently and their food has not changed. They are on Hill's Adult formula Small Bites. I've been trying to find a food without any dye either, just in case it is the food, but can't find a good quality food without any added color ( in some " boutique brands" the dye is beet powder). I know that ONE of the dry Hill's Prescription foods for Allergies is a very light color but I don't remember which one it is. I am thinking it's Egg and something.. Your vet will know. It's expensive but good for Bichons, who are so prone to allergies.

One of my dogs is on Hill's Prescription for allergies Deer and Potato formula, and she has brown staining in her beard.

Your Romeo is cute. :)
Our two puppies are a year old today!!!

MrsSaturn

Have you tried using some Spray N' Wash before putting it in on the warm-warm cycle?  That always gets out stains for me.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: BadgeBabe on November 06, 2007, 10:54:49 PM

HI,
The eye cleaners  I have used and am familiar with are topical solutions and IMO, they are more trouble than they are worth for Bichons. My dogs fur gets matted while I am trying to get the staining off. Some does eventually come off, but since the stuff is used so close to the eyes, it is obviously very mild. IOW, it doesn't do much at all, LOL.

2 of my Bichons are having the same problem. I am thinking it may be seasonal allergies since they didn't have the stains until recently and their food has not changed. They are on Hill's Adult formula Small Bites. I've been trying to find a food without any dye either, just in case it is the food, but can't find a good quality food without any added color ( in some " boutique brands" the dye is beet powder). I know that ONE of the dry Hill's Prescription foods for Allergies is a very light color but I don't remember which one it is. I am thinking it's Egg and something.. Your vet will know. It's expensive but good for Bichons, who are so prone to allergies.

One of my dogs is on Hill's Prescription for allergies Deer and Potato formula, and she has brown staining in her beard.

Your Romeo is cute. :)
Our two puppies are a year old today!!!

Thanks, we love Romeo.... but he's a "marker".  My dad swears by cleaning marked territory with vinegar water, but it doesn't seem to deter him (Romeo, not my dad) at all.  We also have a Bishon named Juliette... yep, Romeo and Juliette.  Romeo was 1 year on July 4th and Juliette went into her first heat on the 3rd of July.  She went and stayed with my paernts for a few weeks during the heat so as not to.... well... you know.
I did find a Hills food that I want to check out.  It's new but I can't find an ingredient list so I will just have to head to PetSmart and look at the bag.
Thanks for all the information :)

Stinkerbell

Quote from: MrsSaturn on November 07, 2007, 04:23:57 AM
Have you tried using some Spray N' Wash before putting it in on the warm-warm cycle?  That always gets out stains for me.

The tear stains are on my white dog, Romeo, underneath his eyes.  I'm HOPING it's a food or seasonal allergy that can be controlled by changing his food to something without dye.

MrsSaturn

Quote from: ABraveLady on November 07, 2007, 05:09:52 AM

The tear stains are on my white dog, Romeo, underneath his eyes.  I'm HOPING it's a food or seasonal allergy that can be controlled by changing his food to something without dye.

I know, I was joking....it makes for a funny mental picture though.  :)))

bones

it is topical u put it on a cotton ball and rub into the tear stains worked great for me i guess not for others that have replied so if you use it i hope you get the results i did.good luck

darlin68776

this happens alot with small dogs. you can get "panmycin Aquadrops" from your vet, to clear this up. the vet says its a bacteria that will not harm your if not treated, but the drops do help. Good luck. ;::

Stinkerbell

Quote from: MrsSaturn on November 07, 2007, 06:19:04 AM
Quote from: ABraveLady on November 07, 2007, 05:09:52 AM

I know, I was joking....it makes for a funny mental picture though.  :)))

LOL  I thought 'surely she misread my post'... LOL  Yes, it does make for a funny mental pic.  I wonder how many people have actually tried it though??   :ooo

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview