Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Ebay Users - Opinions please!

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

I sell things on Ebay from time to time and I have a situation that came up.  I listed an item and someone bid on it, they were the only bidder.  They then emailed me and asked me to cancel their bid, stating that they had bought one that evening and weren't interested in purchasing another one.  I know that I am not obligated to cancel, but at the same time if I don't they can refuse to pay.  New user within the past week and 0 feedback.  They have nothing to lose.  So, I went ahead and canceled their bid, but by the time I canceled it, someone else had bid and thought they were over bid because I hadn't yet caceled the higher bid of the other bidder.  Now, here's my question - should I notify the NEW winning bidder and give them the option to cancel, because under the circumstances they might have bought it elsewhere also.  I'm not about being cut-throat.  I have 100% positive feedback and want ONLY happy customers.  All opinions welcome!

Tara

Yep...offer the second chance to them, because you are still going to have pay for listing the item.

Homer

I tried to sell Tara on ebay and no one bid.  :))) Obviously her meatloaf precedes her. :)) :)) :))

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Tara

Quote from: Homer on December 10, 2007, 02:41:11 PM
I tried to sell Tara on ebay and no one bid.  :))) Obviously her meatloaf precedes her. :)) :)) :))

:{:

The only reason no one bid was because no one had enough money to even make the first bid. Not many people have 1000 hundred billlion zillion trillion dollars for gawds sake.

jeffy

Quote from: ABraveLady on December 10, 2007, 02:34:07 PM
I sell things on Ebay from time to time and I have a situation that came up.  I listed an item and someone bid on it, they were the only bidder.  They then emailed me and asked me to cancel their bid, stating that they had bought one that evening and weren't interested in purchasing another one.  I know that I am not obligated to cancel, but at the same time if I don't they can refuse to pay.  New user within the past week and 0 feedback.  They have nothing to lose.  So, I went ahead and canceled their bid, but by the time I canceled it, someone else had bid and thought they were over bid because I hadn't yet caceled the higher bid of the other bidder.  Now, here's my question - should I notify the NEW winning bidder and give them the option to cancel, because under the circumstances they might have bought it elsewhere also.  I'm not about being cut-throat.  I have 100% positive feedback and want ONLY happy customers.  All opinions welcome!

Tell them to retract their own BID your not their mommy you didnt force them to bid if they shouldnt of made the bid then they should be the one to fix it. I was bidding on an item for 5 days and it was only worth like 5 bucks so i put a 3.33 bid on it and was outbid 3 times over 5 days each of the 3 people retracted their bids. finally i emailed the seller and explained this and they let me off the hook but like you said someone eventually outbid my bid.

there is a lot of shady bidders on ebay and if they are a new user going to -1 feedback can hurt them but is it worth you getting a negative also is the question.

IndianLover

I agree with Jeffy. I buy quite a bit on ebay I believe it should be the buyers responsibility to handle the situation of retracting the bid.  And for goodness sakes If people are going to bid the should be watching what they are doing and not bid on the same item from many of people geez.

not only buyers can be the shady people though, there are alot of seller's that can be shady also... Using another name to bid against bidders to make them bid higher I've seen that happen.  :oo

Tara

Quote from: IndianLover on December 10, 2007, 04:49:21 PM
not only buyers can be the shady people though, there are alot of seller's that can be shady also... Using another name to bid against bidders to make them bid higher I've seen that happen.  :oo

Yep, that's so true too. I always decide my max bid and I wait until the last 30 seconds and then I bid. If I get it good, if I don't then I know there will be another one I can bid on soon.

Homer

Quote from: IndianLover on December 10, 2007, 04:49:21 PM
I agree with Jeffy. I buy quite a bit on ebay I believe it should be the buyers responsibility to handle the situation of retracting the bid.  And for goodness sakes If people are going to bid the should be watching what they are doing and not bid on the same item from many of people geez.

These people are so obvious especially when you are bidding against a new account with no purchases or sales history.

I was bidding against someone who was doing this to me and I bid it up then they countered my bid and I let the auction end. Next thing you know I'm getting a second chance offer and I told them no thanks. Boy did they get pissed. :))) Called me every name in the book and said they would report me to ebay and I was like go ahead you have no basis. They were like...why the eff were you bidding if you weren't gonna buy it...blah blah blah...I told them they should be pissed at the fake account that was bidding against me. :)) :)) :))

Stinkerbell

Quote from: jeffy on December 10, 2007, 03:04:01 PM

Tell them to retract their own BID your not their mommy you didnt force them to bid if they shouldnt of made the bid then they should be the one to fix it. I was bidding on an item for 5 days and it was only worth like 5 bucks so i put a 3.33 bid on it and was outbid 3 times over 5 days each of the 3 people retracted their bids. finally i emailed the seller and explained this and they let me off the hook but like you said someone eventually outbid my bid.

there is a lot of shady bidders on ebay and if they are a new user going to -1 feedback can hurt them but is it worth you getting a negative also is the question.

I checked on Ebays site and it says they can't retract without good cause. Well, I didn't think theirs was a good cause and they could have lied to retract if they wanted to.  Like I said, 0 feedback & new account, if they chose not to retract they could also refuse to pay and then I am stuck having to go through the non payer process, etc.  and it's no matter to them because I think they set up the account just to do exactly this.

I can't yet offer the other a bidder a second chance because the auction hasn't ended yet.  My thinking was, in case Ebay doesn't send him a notification that they are now the high bidder, I wanted to do it so they wouldn't get blindsided if they bought it somewhere else.

Again, I'm just trying to keep my own good standing.

harley89

I buy lots on ebay. If I bid I consider myself obligated to pay for the item. But that is just me. Cancel the 1st bid but note it in feed back on the bidder. send 2nd bidder a second chance offer. I get a lot of those 2.   many people on ebay bid more than they can or should pay and then back out.  I have had times when I won the item but didnt need but paid for it anyway. I consider the bid a contract.  By the way if you would like to PM me your ebay seller name I will look at your products.

jeffy

Quote from: ABraveLady on December 10, 2007, 05:13:29 PM
Quote from: jeffy on December 10, 2007, 03:04:01 PM

I checked on Ebays site and it says they can't retract without good cause. Well, I didn't think theirs was a good cause and they could have lied to retract if they wanted to.  Like I said, 0 feedback & new account, if they chose not to retract they could also refuse to pay and then I am stuck having to go through the non payer process, etc.  and it's no matter to them because I think they set up the account just to do exactly this.

I can't yet offer the other a bidder a second chance because the auction hasn't ended yet.  My thinking was, in case Ebay doesn't send him a notification that they are now the high bidder, I wanted to do it so they wouldn't get blindsided if they bought it somewhere else.

Again, I'm just trying to keep my own good standing.

Thats ok Lady cuz the most common answer given when retracting a bid is YOU GUESSED IT!!!  "entered the wrong amount" i dunno if ebay keeps tabs on how many times someone does it or if your only allowed so many in a month or year but thats the most common answer. it happens a lot. as far as what everyone else says about bidders bidding up there items thats true too ive been in the middle or one of them the seller got caught i still to this day dunno what happened to them. luckily ive got about 103 feedback im no monster seller but im happy to have 100% positive :)

Tara

If you have something to list on Ebay....Insertions fees for Fixed Price listings will be 20¢ on the U.S. eBay.com site for today only.

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/20cent2007/

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer's Grinch on December 13, 2007, 09:26:45 AM
If you have something to list on Ebay....Insertions fees for Fixed Price listings will be 20¢ on the U.S. eBay.com site for today only.

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/20cent2007/

That's very cool!  I might toss a couple things on tonight, then.

Tara

I've been buying and selling things on Ebay for quite a few years but I don't know anything about this half.com@ebay. Does anyone else?  I found a textbook that I need for next semester and it's brand new for half the price that I can get it from Amazon.

Homer

Quote from: ~Tara~ on December 16, 2007, 09:19:56 AM
I've been buying and selling things on Ebay for quite a few years but I don't know anything about this half.com@ebay. Does anyone else?  I found a textbook that I need for next semester and it's brand new for half the price that I can get it from Amazon.

Half.com is a subsidiary of ebay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half.com

jeffy

Quote from: ~Tara~ on December 16, 2007, 09:19:56 AM

its similar to ebay if you buy it using your ebay name you can still leave feedback for it. ive used it a few times. im not positive but i think you can only use credit cards and not paypal on half.com at least thats how it used to be it might of changed!

Tara

It looks like an easier way to list and sell things. You can't ask the seller any questions though. I could read the sellers feedback. Everything is media mail and a set on a standard price for shipping. That's good because they can't rip you off on the high shipping charges some people use. If everything goes good with the book I just bought, I will start looking there for my DVDs,books, and kids videos games from now on.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: ~Tara~ on December 16, 2007, 09:51:43 AM
It looks like an easier way to list and sell things. You can't ask the seller any questions though. I could read the sellers feedback. Everything is media mail and a set on a standard price for shipping. That's good because they can't rip you off on the high shipping charges some people use. If everything goes good with the book I just bought, I will start looking there for my DVDs,books, and kids videos games from now on.

I have a huge problem getting the shipping calculated right.  This last shipment was calculated at $20 with insurance and priority shipping, but ended up costing $33 when I got to the post office.  The PO said it's because the calculated shipping assumes you're using the prepaid account and you get discounts with prepaid.  So, I have added a $10 Handling Fee and explained why.  If the actual cost of shipping is more, I pay the difference.  If it's less that what the buyer pays, I refund the difference. 

I try to be 100% honest, but you're right.  There are people out there padding the profit with shipping charges. 

If anyone has a better solution for me, I'm open to suggestions.

Tara

I have a scale that I weigh my things on. I put what I am selling in the box and weigh it  and then when I list it, I put the weight in the calculator thing. It will tell the customer from their zip code how much it costs. I offer combined shipping so I will just wait until the end and then just usually let them know what it will be. I estimate on that part. When I first starting selling I would get screwed so much on the shipping,so I bought a scale.

My oldest daughter wanted a series of books that consisted of 13 paperbacks. On Ebay it was 39.99 and 18.99 S&H.
I was like OMG..I am not paying that S&H for 13 little paperback books.  I was doing a google search for it and ended up finding the publishers website and got the books for $1.00 each and 5.85 S&H.  I might buy some more and sell them on Ebay for 29.99...lol

Stinkerbell

Yeah, I need to buy a Postal Scale.  If I start selling the EAPG again, I definitely will.  There were times when I lost $$$ because the postage was so off.  I checked out that other eBay site, looks interesting.  I'll check it out more later.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview