This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Poppit! Bingo : Pop 150 Prize Balloons this week! [Download Cheat]
Word Search Daily HD : Find 300 words this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

If you have pets, please read!

Started by BadgeBabe,

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgeBabe

Yesterday, we lost two more of our precious fur babies. They were littermates from a wonderful breeder.. They were born together, they lived with us together, and as fate would have it, they died together shortly after their first birthday.
I wouldn't have believed this could happen, but it did, and maybe my telling someone can save their pet.

We have a modern style pool which has an inground attached heated spa. The entire spa is completely level with the ground around it. We obviously can use the spa year round, although I don't think I want to ever get in it again now.
Our dogs have always walked right around it, or on the rare occasions that they were rough housing and one fell or was pushed in accidentally, they swam around the spa until they found the one submerged step and climbed out. The pool is much easier for them to get out of, of course because the steps are large and there is a shallow end to the pool. We felt that they were safe and as fate would have it, the pool area of the yard is the portion they prefer, because the raised side where the spa is gives them a good view of the neighborhood that our fence obscures otherwise.

However, now that the water and the air temperature are very cold in the early AM, pets are in a different kind of jeopardy.

Our babies didn't make it out of the spa alive. We have questioned why over and over, and last night, it hit us that it is cold overnight and in the early AMs, although the temps are in the 70s during the day. They died of Hypothermia while trying to swim to the step.

I did CPR and tried to save them, but they had already gone to the Rainbow Bridge, to join our little Bliss, who died the day after Thanksgiving.

Please, if you have dogs, and live in a moderate climate area like we do where inground spas are not winterized, invest in a fence which separates your pets from your spa area or get a very strong cover if the pets are small. It is so horribly ironic that we paid what we did for a huge custom built fence around the back yard and pool and even a separate fence to screen the pool equipment, but the spa was an afterthought, after the pool had been planned, and we didn't have the money left to have a decorative and safe fence going the width of the yard to keep our pets out of that area. We absolutely didn't think it was necessary because we have seen them swim out of the spa time after time. We were so wrong.

We honestly have had no problems for several years, and our pets have come and gone as they please through their doggie door. Our guilt and sorrow are almost too much to bear right now. If this helps even one pet, I hope our precious dogs didn't die in vain.

Homer

Sorry to hear about your loss. Seems like you have run into a very bad streak of luck lately.

I know it's tough losing family members/pets but sometimes seeing a therapist can help you cope with your losses.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

harley89

Our pets are like children and need the same protection we give to a child.  My pet children are a black lab,  Abiegale and 5 cats Qui Chang, Kitty Poo, Hissy, Jumper and Nubbin and I love them all.

Stinkerbell

Awww, so sorry hun.... like losing a child.  We had a spa at our old house, and Romeo and Juliette both took unplanned dives.  And that fur when wet is soooo heavy they lost strength quickly.  Fortunately, they both survived it.  So, so sorry for you, your babies and the rest of your family!

bams68

So sorry for ur loss, it's great that you spread this around thou. Hey you never know - might jus help sumone.

huggies
Ur Deer Friend
bams

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview