Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Credit Card Fraud

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

So, this morning my DH tells me that he can't find his bank card.  We retrace his steps, call the bank and discover that the last place HE used his card was Friday night at the local Staples.  However, someone else made 2 additional purchases totaling $240.00 at the same Staples, and 3 purchases at a local Chevron... the same Chevron all 3 times.  So, the bank puts a hold on his card and I called the manager at the Staples and told her what happened.  I pointed out that it was very strange for a thief to go to the same store using a "stolen" credit card unless they were pretty comfortable with the store.  I gave her my DH's name and the last 4 digits of the card number.  She pulls the receipts and says that that there was nothing to indicate that their employee had anything to do with it, but of course she is going to pass it on.  Then hubby and I are talking and he mentioned that what happened was he had tried scanning the card but it didn't work, so the cashier took the card and scanned it on her side.  She never gave him back the card and he didn't remember to get it back. Sooooo, is it just me, or does anyone else agree that if the employee was the last person to have the card, the employee either handed it off to a friend, or has been using it herself?  And yes, I did call the manager back and give her that little tidbit of information, too.

Does anyone have any morals or self respect anymore?    I hope the police.gif gets them and puts them in  prisoner.gif

Homer

If he didn't get it back from the clerk then it has to be them or they gave it to a friend. They should be able to match surveillance tapes to the time of purchase.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer on February 24, 2008, 04:55:36 PM
If he didn't get it back from the clerk then it has to be them or they gave it to a friend. They should be able to match surveillance tapes to the time of purchase.

The manager said that, that store doesn't have cameras.   >:((

Homer

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Squid on February 24, 2008, 05:07:59 PM
I am so sorry, BraveLady.  I've seen news magazine shows where they filmed waiters/waitresses, store employees, etc. who take a credit card and scan it on their own swipers, recording the numbers, etc.  Homer is right... they should be able to coordinate the cameras with when your DH (?) was there in the store and see what everyone's movements were.  I wish you the best. 

I was recently informed by my federal government that a computer was stolen with ALL my personal information on it for taxes, etc.   This translates to some stranger having my name, address, history, date of birth, social security number, etc......  They have records for thousands of people in their hands now.  I am constantly checking my credit reports, etc.  WHAT A PAIN IN THE  :o0

These thugs need to get a job.   >:((

AT&T notified me that a laptop with my personal info on it was stolen, and they paid for a 1 year platinum credit monitoring service for me.  Pretty decent of them considering I never gave them permission to allow their emplyee's to TAKE HOME MY PRIVATE INFORMATION.  Maybe I should sue?  LOL

Homer

Squid, DH stands for Dear Husband or in this case Dumb Husband.  :)))

Homer

harley89

My Mother had that happen too her Americn Express. it was the deck clerk at the  hotel taking the cc numbers and buying things. He got got because AE saw unusal purchases and called her. They traced it back to the hotel employee.  And Stinker I do not buy that the Staples doesnt have cameras. Maybe you need to file a complaint or look into filing criminal charges

Stinkerbell

Quote from: harley89 on February 24, 2008, 06:15:54 PM
My Mother had that happen too her Americn Express. it was the deck clerk at the  hotel taking the cc numbers and buying things. He got got because AE saw unusal purchases and called her. They traced it back to the hotel employee.  And Stinker I do not buy that the Staples doesnt have cameras. Maybe you need to file a complaint or look into filing criminal charges

Yeah, I think I need to contact the police and see what they think I should do.

Homer

Quote from: Stinkerbell on February 24, 2008, 06:38:45 PM
Yeah, I think I need to contact the police and see what they think I should do.

That is what I would do. I have trouble believing a chain like Staples doesn't have security cameras.

They may be trying to protect the clerk who didn't return the card.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer on February 24, 2008, 06:42:48 PM
That is what I would do. I have trouble believing a chain like Staples doesn't have security cameras.

They may be trying to protect the clerk who didn't return the card.

We just filed a report, officer just left.  They are on their way to Staples right now to talk to them, but it's Sunday and I am guessing they are closed by now.  The officers said they can't believe Staples has no cameras either, and that it seems fishy to them.  I feel better having made a report too.

Homer

Quote from: Stinkerbell on February 24, 2008, 07:16:22 PM
We just filed a report, officer just left.  They are on their way to Staples right now to talk to them, but it's Sunday and I am guessing they are closed by now.  The officers said they can't believe Staples has no cameras either, and that it seems fishy to them.  I feel better having made a report too.

Yeah...it didn't sound right to me either. Who knows...maybe it was the manager doing it. :-\

Stinkerbell

First thing this morning, I called the Office of the President at Staples, reported what was going on and they were very upset and concerned.  They contacted that stores general manager and within 20 minutes I got a call back, taking all the information and times, amounts, etc.... and they told me that from what they could tell initially, 1 employee was using the card to purchase gift cards.  The purchases were made within minutes of each other.  The store is contacting their Fraud Control department and said they will be getting back to me soon.  I'm so glad they are taking this seriously.... after the way the store's asst manager made it sound yesterday, there wan't much they could do, and that she saw nothing to indicate that it was an employee.

A little update, the additional purchases ATTEMPTED were 4.  The 2 that went through, then 4 more.  The additional 4 attempts totalled over $600.00.

What I am learning here is that time is of the essence!  By catching it so early on, they can easily get to the employee who was either allowing this to happen, or doing it themselves. 

Oh, and by the way... that store does NOT have cameras.  The GM said that for whatever reason, Staples dodesn't like to put cameras in their stores.

I'll keep you updated as this unfolds.

Homer

Sounds like they were trying to protect someone. I'm glad you pursued this.

Harleygurl5150

I had my whole purse stolen and it doesn't take long for them !!@#$%^& to abuse your card and ring up things above and beyond your imagination.  Mine was used for a 1-900 line! Had to change numbers, put a security question on my account at the bank which I have to answer everytime I go to use it. Its just unfortunate people have to be like this, I mean come on, are they thinking you will just go home see that it's missing and say Hmmm Oh well I will pay for someone else's charges LOL and not go to find out where it went? Or report it missing? Like they will never get caught? DUH! Ignorance.  And about the cameras..You can have a friend or someone go in the store and look for them, there not hard to spot.  They could be in Black bubbles in the ceiling or it would be the whole Ceiling tile itself.  I work retail and I can almost promise you they HAVE cameras!  Then take a cell phone with a camera on it and snap some pics.  Also if you look around there may even be a two way like mirror which is for the management to sit behind or a control room door.  They have too many high end like items in that store not to have cameras, Dollar stores have cameras for crying out loud!!

OK sorry about babbling, it just makes me angry as I had it happen to me also!! !@#$

Stinkerbell

I just got another call from the GM and he called the Deputy that is filing the report.  When the Dep gets on this afternoon, the GM wants the 2 of them (he and the Dep) to go across the street to the Chevron and review their cameras --- we have the exact time so it shouldn't be hard.  Same employee using the card at Staples, that employee shows up on Chevrons cameras.... done deal.  Either way, the GM told me that the employee will be fired (they know who it is) and with the police report, will most likely be prosecuted too.

Homer

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Harleygurl5150 on February 25, 2008, 09:52:47 AM

OK sorry about babbling, it just makes me angry as I had it happen to me also!! !@#$

I know how frustrating it is.  About 6 years ago, we were customers of a very large bank... well, said bank opened a checking account for someone named Tasha Muhammud using my HUSBANDS SS#.  HELLO!!  We were already in the banks system and they didn't catch it.  So, said bank gave said Tasha an ATM card which said Tasha took to said banks ATM and somehow commited ATM fraud.  So, said bank reports said Tasha's SS# which also happens to be said husbands SS# to some banking fraud place and when we tried to leave that said bank because we were fed up with them, said husband couldn't open an account at any other bank for 5 years.  It was like pulling teeth to get said bank to remove said hubby from their fraud list. SHEEEEESH.

harley89

Glad it appears to be working out.  I hate dishonest people that steal from others. I work for what I got and everybody can do the same. Hope they throw the book at the employee . And Staples might want to reconsider the whole camera thing

Stinkerbell

Well, the guy confessed and gave his story - going through a divorce, mother had a stroke and he wanted to take her to dinner, wanted to buy some gifts for his kids... blah freakin' blah, blah as far as I'm concerned.  MAYBE all that is true, and if it is, God Bless him, welcome to the club.  We have ALL hit hard times at one time or another but it does not make stealing okay.  Period, End of story.  And the total charges were at OVER $800.00... that's one he** of a dinner.  They tell me he has no priors... don't know if it's true or not.... 40+ years old.... if he had never done anything like this before, then how was he so good at it?  Knew to purchase gift cards so they wouldn't be traced... I'm not buying it.  And like I told them, I may have no choice as to whether or not we should press charges.  The bank gave me back my money, so I'm no longer the victim, the bank is.  Once Staples gives the bank back their money, the bank is no longer the victim, Staples is.  Anyway, I will fill out the affidavit for the bank with all I know and wait for the DA to contact us.  Just wanted to keep ya's posted.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview