Word Search Daily HD : Find 300 words this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Too many accounts?

Started by S1lent,

Previous topic - Next topic

S1lent

police.gif
Greetings,
Over the years, I have made and used 144 accounts, associated with about 20 different email accounts. The main reason was to take advantage of the free tokens.  Additionally, I have two main accounts.  How does POGO track this excessive use/abuse of accounts?  IP addresses?   Emails?  Thanks for your comments.
S1lent

harley89

Good Lord  i would not even began to answer that question. But one of my own. Did you get caught

~Sassy~

Every time you visit a web site, send or receive an email, log in to your bank, or even share files with other PCs your computer is telling the other computer what its address is and how to find it in cyberspace.

Just like your address is totally unique in that you live in a numbered house or apartment, on a named street, in a named town or city, which is itself in a named county or parish, which is located in a named state, which is part of a named country, on a named continent or island, which happens to be on a named planet, in a named solar system, etc. -- Your computer has a unique address as well. This address is called your Internet Protocol address or IP for short.

Unique IP Address
Your IP address is unique. It's the only one like it in the whole world! Your computer can be contacted by any computer on the entire planet that knows your address. Let's see how this works.

In order to provide for an orderly way of tossing bits and bytes of information back and forth between themselves, computers have to have a way of keeping their identities from being confused from any another PC. That's what an IP address does.

An IP address is actually a 32-bit number that is expressed as four "octets" which are separated by dots. Here's an example:

IP Address

While that may look like a representation of the U.S. National debt to you, to another PC that's a road map to your PC's front door.

Each of the four groups of numbers (octets) in an IP address can have a value ranging between 0 and 255.

While some machines, such as network servers and web servers usually keep their same IP address for life, your PCs own IP address may change regularly. Most home PC users don't have any way of assigning their PCs an IP address. Instead, they "borrow" one from their Internet Service Provider (ISP) every time that they log onto the Internet. This is almost always true for services such as AOL, and less true for broadband users who may keep the same IP address for months if not forever.

Anyway, if you do have the capability and knowledge to assign your own IP addresses then you don't need to read this article anyway, so we'll focus on the rest of us who end up borrowing ours from our ISP.

When you get your IP number from your ISP an interesting thing happens. Your IP address is not really the path for the rest of the world to follow directly to your PC, it's really the address to your ISP's server. Once the "visitor" reaches the ISP's server, the server takes over and directs the information to your PC's front door. This allows the ISP to change your IP address every minute if it wants to while keeping a static IP address out there for the world to find you at. Sound confusing? It is. In fact there is a lot of sophisticated machinery at work whose only job is to keep this all in order and working more or less flawlessly.

My IP Address
IP addresses are so basic to the success of the Internet that you really don't need to know a web site's domain name if you know their IP. In fact, domain names are only a convenience for humans who have better luck remembering to type www.Google.com, when they want to do a search, then they would have trying to remember Google's IP address of 216.239.39.99.

Whenever you type http://www.google.com into your browser, the browser sends a query off to a big telephone book in the sky and asks "Hey, what's the IP address for Google.com?". This big telephone book, more commonly called a "Domain Name Server" or DNS for short, returns 216.239.39.99 to your browser. Your browser then heads off to Google's web site using the IP address as a map.

Try it for yourself. Type http://216.239.39.99 into your browser. And, where did you end up? Bingo! Google.com

And now you know more than you'll probably ever need to know about IP addresses and their purpose in life.

blondie01

Thanks Sassy that was a great lesson.  That answered some of my questions about the internet.   :D

~Sassy~

Your welcome Blondie. A lot of people do not understand about the internet, glad I could help out.

FreecellFanny

And that folks, is why I never use my own personal service provider to download music.  :)))

FreecellFanny

ImJustOneOldFart

Quote from: Sassy Lady on April 07, 2008, 07:56:57 PM
Every time you visit a web site, send or receive an email, log in to your bank, or even share files with other PCs your computer is telling the other computer what its address is and how to find it in cyberspace.

Just like your address is totally unique in that you live in a numbered house or apartment, on a named street, in a named town or city, which is itself in a named county or parish, which is located in a named state, which is part of a named country, on a named continent or island, which happens to be on a named planet, in a named solar system, etc. -- Your computer has a unique address as well. This address is called your Internet Protocol address or IP for short.

Unique IP Address
Your IP address is unique. It's the only one like it in the whole world! Your computer can be contacted by any computer on the entire planet that knows your address. Let's see how this works.

In order to provide for an orderly way of tossing bits and bytes of information back and forth between themselves, computers have to have a way of keeping their identities from being confused from any another PC. That's what an IP address does.

An IP address is actually a 32-bit number that is expressed as four "octets" which are separated by dots. Here's an example:

IP Address

While that may look like a representation of the U.S. National debt to you, to another PC that's a road map to your PC's front door.

Each of the four groups of numbers (octets) in an IP address can have a value ranging between 0 and 255.

While some machines, such as network servers and web servers usually keep their same IP address for life, your PCs own IP address may change regularly. Most home PC users don't have any way of assigning their PCs an IP address. Instead, they "borrow" one from their Internet Service Provider (ISP) every time that they log onto the Internet. This is almost always true for services such as AOL, and less true for broadband users who may keep the same IP address for months if not forever.

Anyway, if you do have the capability and knowledge to assign your own IP addresses then you don't need to read this article anyway, so we'll focus on the rest of us who end up borrowing ours from our ISP.

When you get your IP number from your ISP an interesting thing happens. Your IP address is not really the path for the rest of the world to follow directly to your PC, it's really the address to your ISP's server. Once the "visitor" reaches the ISP's server, the server takes over and directs the information to your PC's front door. This allows the ISP to change your IP address every minute if it wants to while keeping a static IP address out there for the world to find you at. Sound confusing? It is. In fact there is a lot of sophisticated machinery at work whose only job is to keep this all in order and working more or less flawlessly.

My IP Address
IP addresses are so basic to the success of the Internet that you really don't need to know a web site's domain name if you know their IP. In fact, domain names are only a convenience for humans who have better luck remembering to type www.Google.com, when they want to do a search, then they would have trying to remember Google's IP address of 216.239.39.99.

Whenever you type http://www.google.com into your browser, the browser sends a query off to a big telephone book in the sky and asks "Hey, what's the IP address for Google.com?". This big telephone book, more commonly called a "Domain Name Server" or DNS for short, returns 216.239.39.99 to your browser. Your browser then heads off to Google's web site using the IP address as a map.

Try it for yourself. Type http://216.239.39.99 into your browser. And, where did you end up? Bingo! Google.com

And now you know more than you'll probably ever need to know about IP addresses and their purpose in life.

my brain hurts, thats too much for me to read before noon.... :!#

~Sassy~

I could have written or posted the shorter version but it doesn't go into detail how much they can and do track you.

If I sign in from hubby's computer to pay bills, all our accounts say "We do not recognize this computer" and I have to email them to use it. My computer has been acting up, so I had to use his for awhile.
Sorry about your brain. TMI...I guess.  :)))

roadwarrior

Quote from: ImJustOneOldFart on April 10, 2008, 08:20:43 AM

my brain hurts, thats too much for me to read before noon.... :!#

I clicked on those numbers/link.  I got "Internet Explorer cannont find webpage please try again"
Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics

~Sassy~

Yeah, it did the same thing to me, but that is Google's IP address. Sorry it didn't work from here or by copying and pasting. I tried both ways too after I read your post.
I'm just the messenger  :)) Don't follow me..k. 'Cause most of the times I am lost too. fall13.gif

FreecellFanny

Quote from: Squid on April 10, 2008, 04:34:06 AM
Does that mean you d/l at work? 

Squid <---- not the savviest interneter

No, not at work but if you have a laptop and it is wireless capable, you can hook into any public wifi connection. All you need is a peer-to-peer sharing program, like Limewire.

disneyland lady

Quote from: FreecellFanny on April 10, 2008, 03:31:48 PM
No, not at work but if you have a laptop and it is wireless capable, you can hook into any public wifi connection. All you need is a peer-to-peer sharing program, like Limewire.

Funny you should mention this. I was at our local library today and found mostly teen boys in the parking lot sitting in their cars. I knew they had the day off from school (Teachers Conferences) and I was thinking how nice it was to see teens interested in books as I walked to the door. The library was locked - Closed on Mondays! As I got back to my car I said<b> "Closed"</b> to the boys and they said <b>"Yep, that's why we are here"</b>. Then I looked closer and saw them playing games online in their cars on laptops. I asked them if the library forgot to turn off the internet signal and they said that the library never turns it off and they are there most evenings after it closes. So there you go - public wifi. And it keeps the kids out of our canyon which has more danger than WOW fields.

disneyland lady insane diego

Stinkerbell

Quote from: disneyland lady on April 14, 2008, 02:01:23 PM
Funny you should mention this. I was at our local library today and found mostly teen boys in the parking lot sitting in their cars. I knew they had the day off from school (Teachers Conferences) and I was thinking how nice it was to see teens interested in books as I walked to the door. The library was locked - Closed on Mondays! As I got back to my car I said<b> "Closed"</b> to the boys and they said <b>"Yep, that's why we are here"</b>. Then I looked closer and saw them playing games online in their cars on laptops. I asked them if the library forgot to turn off the internet signal and they said that the library never turns it off and they are there most evenings after it closes. So there you go - public wifi. And it keeps the kids out of our canyon which has more danger than WOW fields.

Our tax payer dollars at work.

old nana

disneyland lady

Quote from: Squid on April 14, 2008, 02:15:07 PM

I hate not having computer access at the lake.  Can anyone help me?
Have you set up that laptop to connect to the wireless connection at the vacation home?

Control Panel>>Network and Sharing Center>>Connect to a Network>>Set up a Connection

Not sure if you have to toggle between the two but I do not when I go from my home to where I stay on my frequent disneyland trips - my set up does it but I am not sure if it looks for one of the two on the Connection Panel.

I have 5 college kids renting the house next to me and 2 of their computers are closer to me than the wireless signal which is kept in my grandsons bedroom on the other side of my home. My computer, when booting, will tell me that there are other signals. If I thought one of them would stay longer than a few months I would get rid of the DSL in my grandsons room and use theirs since they do not have a password lock on it. Any college student should know better than to not have passwords! :{:

sorry but beer is out however -

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Squid on April 14, 2008, 03:47:43 PM
No responses?  How about if I throw in a lakeside bbq with tons of beer?

If it's a secure connection, you'll likely need the password to be able to connect, but that doesn't sound like the problem you're having.  So, can I still get the lakeside bbq?  Don't drink no alchiehol but will gladly eat the grub!

PogoKaz

Squid, one thing to try is take your laptop to the centralized office and see if you can get a signal and connect.

If you can then the problem is with the strength of signal from them and your ability to pick it up.  See how far away you can go before you loose the signal (There are various ways of trying to deal with it but the upshot is that if the signal isn't strong enough then they need to put in some type of booster or you do to strengthen that signal for any chance of connecting to the network).
We have just come back from holiday and took our laptop with us.  The only way we could get a signal on the hotel network was to switch off the onboard wireless card and use a network adapter via lots of usb cables strung together and hung over the outside door.  Our friends who were at the opposite side of the hotel couldn't get a signal at all no matter what they tried.  He's a network engineer so it's not like he didn't know what he was doing either.

If you can't connect in such close proximity then the problem is with your system, you haven't got it set up properly etc.  If it was password protected you would still see the signal just not be able to connect to the network.

Until you have done these tests you don't know where the problem originates from.

Hope this helps :)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview