PlayBuddy
July 13, 2024, 09:11:09 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Tri-Peaks Solitaire HD : Win 30 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Garden Blast : Use 80 disco balls or disco ball power up combos this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

New York Italian Bakeries

Started by FreecellFanny,

Previous topic - Next topic

FreecellFanny

We'll be there in July and we're looking for the best Cannoli.  !@!

Anyone here have any recommendations for places right in the city?  :OO

FreecellFanny

Thanks Squid.  O0

You are the second person to recommend Mulberry Street. Apparently there is a bakery there that supplies the cannoli for the cannoli eating contest during the Feast of San Gennaro.  !@!

SpunkyGirl

Now I know why I really miss the East Coast!   YUM................... <..>

FreecellFanny

Chinatown is on the list for sure as will be a trip to the East Side to purchase a good bottle of Absinthe (one store was recommended by the Wormwood Society).  :!!

I got a local store to order Cannoli shells for me and I made my first batch of filling last weekend. Hubby was thrilled beyond belief!   !@!

Homer

If you are ever in Philly you must go to the Reading Terminal

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/merchants/view/5

Look up Termini Brothers. They have the best cannolis!

You can order from their website as well

http://www.termini.com/termini.htm

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Stinkerbell

Now, in a good canoli, should the filling be very smooth, similar to a mousse, or should it be somewhat grainy, like sugar?  I had one once and didn't care for it due to the granular consistancy...

Homer

Quote from: Stinkerbell on April 26, 2008, 08:21:06 AM
Now, in a good canoli, should the filling be very smooth, similar to a mousse, or should it be somewhat grainy, like sugar?  I had one once and didn't care for it due to the granular consistancy...

It should neither be grainy or runny and the cheese ones should always have choc chips in them

FreecellFanny

I did not put chocolate chips in my first batch because I made the filling chocolate...this next batch will be vanilla but I am going to dip the ends in melted chocolate; I haven't decided if I'll do that before or after I fill them. Hubby wants the chocolate drizzled over the entire thing!

I found several different ways to make the filling and they were split between granulated sugar and confectioners sugar. I went with the confectioners to avoid the graininess.

Homer, thanks for those links...I will check them out!  canadian2.gif

Homer

Homer

Homer

Quote from: Squid on April 26, 2008, 09:26:18 AM
I don't think I've ever had a "cheese" cannoli.  I must try one.

There are 3 kinds I know of...cheese, chocolate and vanilla

FreecellFanny

Traditionally, they are made with Ricotta chesse though that isn't really a cheese per se...it's the consistency of a very thick, almost solid cream and is the by-product of milk. I made mine with Ricotta and added cocoa to make the chocolate flavour.

Once you add the sugar, extracts, and whatever else you want you would never know it was a "cheese".

Cannoli can also be made with an Italian dessert cream which can be flavoured any way you like.  !@!

FreecellFanny

Well, I went to the website of the bakery that Homer told me about and I just about dropped dead when I saw the price of their cannoli: 6 for $40 or 12 for $60 and that does NOT include shipping!  :ooo

They look good but their best price works out to $5.00 for one single cannoli.  ::)

Homer

Quote from: FreecellFanny on April 27, 2008, 10:45:00 AM
Well, I went to the website of the bakery that Homer told me about and I just about dropped dead when I saw the price of their cannoli: 6 for $40 or 12 for $60 and that does NOT include shipping!  :ooo

They look good but their best price works out to $5.00 for one single cannoli.  ::)

I haven't been to the bakery in over a year but back then they were $3 a piece. I'm not surprised at the cost increase. Like everything bakery prices are sky high due to gas prices etc

FreecellFanny

Quote from: Squid on April 27, 2008, 11:06:01 AM
Make your own; it will cost you 60 cents each... it will be fresh and deeelish.

I have been making my own. In fact, I just finished a batch a few minutes ago to the delight of my hubby.  !@!

Homer, while in NYC I will try out their bakery in Jersey since our hotel is not too far from it.  :/\

Homer

Quote from: FreecellFanny on April 28, 2008, 02:25:46 PM
I have been making my own. In fact, I just finished a batch a few minutes ago to the delight of my hubby.  !@!

Homer, while in NYC I will try out their bakery in Jersey since our hotel is not too far from it.  :/\

My fav is the cheese ones. I don't care much for the chocolate and vanilla ones

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview