Peggle Blast HD : Clear 1500 pegs this week! [Download Cheat]
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 25 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Dice City Roller HD : Clear 20 '3 of a Kind' cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Book Worms

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

CindyLouWho

Heck I still haven't read The Host...I got so many books I wanta read that I'll never get caught up  undecided.gif

Anyone ever read any of the Wolf Tales books by Kate Douglas?  Holy Smokes!    giggle2.gif

Stinkerbell

Quote from: CindyLouWho on March 20, 2009, 01:15:57 PM
Heck I still haven't read The Host...I got so many books I wanta read that I'll never get caught up  undecided.gif

Anyone ever read any of the Wolf Tales books by Kate Douglas?  Holy Smokes!    giggle2.gif

I'm going through Lora Leigh's Breeds series. HOLY SMOKES!   hysterical.gif

CindyLouWho

I haven't read any of hers yet but I think I have her on my list of books to check into.............Let me know if you check out those Wolf Tales & I wouldn't let your kids get hold of em   hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

Stinkerbell

Just found this on a Book site...

http://www.bookswim.com/

Never tried it. Can't say if it's any good or not, but apparently it's like NetFlix, only you rent books instead. Might be a great way to read the books the libraries don't carry without having to buy them.

hillbillyjim

If you haven't read the Wheel of Time series, it's worth a look...  The series tells the story of a boy named Rand al'Thor, who grows up with the rare ability to tap the "source", a mysterious and incredible power. He and his friends are taken from their village by an Aes Sedai (their name for a female wizard) and head off for a date with destiny. The whole thing takes place in an alternate world which, particularly in the first book Eye of the World, blatantly borrows a lot of its best ideas from other fantasy literature, Lord of the Rings in particular. Once the first book is out of the way, Jordan does a better job of finding his own voice and his characters take on a life of their own. He has some pretty great, rather unique fantasy concepts too. For instance I've always loved the idea that the Aes Sedai aren't affected by cold, simply because they refuse to let it touch them. It's not magic, they just ignore it. For that matte,r there's really no magic anywhere in the book. Jordan's stories are set in a psuedo-medieval alternate world, but his approach to fantasy, magical powers is almost scientific.
tumbsup.gif

Stinkerbell

Hillbillyjim,
Awesome, thank you! What age range would you recommend this for?

disneyland lady

If you enjoyed Mma (aka Precious) Ramotswe, Botswana's one and only lady private detective in Alexander Mccall Smith's 'No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency':  Premieres Sun. 3/29 @8PM On HBO
I don't get HBO so I hope they have it available on the internet. I hope it does well enough to show some of the 9 books. The series already showed in England and they have a DVD out but it is not yet in our region.

The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency

Stinkerbell

Quote from: disneyland lady on March 29, 2009, 06:58:04 AM
If you enjoyed Mma (aka Precious) Ramotswe, Botswana's one and only lady private detective in Alexander Mccall Smith's 'No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency':  Premieres Sun. 3/29 @8PM On HBO
I don't get HBO so I hope they have it available on the internet. I hope it does well enough to show some of the 9 books. The series already showed in England and they have a DVD out but it is not yet in our region.

I have the book, DLL but I never got to read it cuz I got all sucked into the vampire genre. Get it? Sucked into?   hysterical.gif

disneyland lady

I just went by and picked up my dvd of Twilight that has been away from me for 5 days. I told my mother and daughter in law to call me as soon as they finished watching. I think they thought I was wanting to discuss the movie but it was cuz I wanted it back. I have become very possessive of it and actually thought about getting the 2 disc dvd yesterday so that I would have a backup if someone else was to borrow it. I really need to crush on something new.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: disneyland lady on March 29, 2009, 12:26:01 PM
I just went by and picked up my dvd of Twilight that has been away from me for 5 days. I told my mother and daughter in law to call me as soon as they finished watching. I think they thought I was wanting to discuss the movie but it was cuz I wanted it back. I have become very possessive of it and actually thought about getting the 2 disc dvd yesterday so that I would have a backup if someone else was to borrow it. I really need to crush on something new.

I've gotten that way, too. If there is a book I love, I don't want to lend it out. My daughter who lives here, I won't let her keep them in her room. I make her take them back to my room. For me, it's not just Twilight, it's Black Dagger Brotherhood, Carpathians, Breeds...all the books I'm reading. I'm like... I paid for it, put it back in my room!

disneyland lady

Quote from: Stinkerbell on March 29, 2009, 12:34:49 PM
I've gotten that way, too. If there is a book I love, I don't want to lend it out. My daughter who lives here, I won't let her keep them in her room. I make her take them back to my room. For me, it's not just Twilight, it's Black Dagger Brotherhood, Carpathians, Breeds...all the books I'm reading. I'm like... I paid for it, put it back in my room!
I think I heard that Stinkerbell's New Years Resolution was "It's all mine, in 2009."

Stinkerbell

Quote from: disneyland lady on March 29, 2009, 04:05:23 PM
I think I heard that Stinkerbell's New Years Resolution was "It's all mine, in 2009."

If it has hot, sexy men in it, that's the truth.

hillbillyjim

Quote from: Stinkerbell on March 28, 2009, 08:24:04 PM
Hillbillyjim,
Awesome, thank you! What age range would you recommend this for?

I would  recommend ages 12 to adult.  Each book is approximately 800 pages and there is 12 in series so far.

Stinkerbell

For anyone interested in purchasing it, Sherrilyn Kenyon's Acheron is out in paperback now.

Stinkerbell

OK, 3 GREAT books are coming out on the 28th of this month (April). I KNOW they will be great because the other books by these authors and in these series were realllllly good.

1. Storm Glass by Maria V. Snyder. I raved about her Poison Study, Magic Study and Fire Study books. Storm Glass continues with one of the characters from the Study Book. Really awesome stories.  http://www.mariavsnyder.com/books/

2. Lover Avenged by JR Ward. This is book 7. I LOVE the Black Dagger Brotherhood stories! Hot vampires, action, romance...what's NOT to love? http://www.jrward.com/

3. Burning Wild by Christine Feehan. This is from the Leopard Series and is book 3.  http://www.christinefeehan.com/leopard_series/index.php

If you get a chance, check them out!

Stinkerbell

I'm reading a series called BodyGuards by Cindy Gerard and the first book is called To The Edge. I just read this little paragraph and it made me laugh out loud. Keep in mind, the scene at this point is very tense and the female lead (being guarded) is gorgeous but won't keep her mouth shut and gripes and argues non-stop.  This is a one paragraph thought running through Nolan's (her body guard) mind:

------

He didn't even like the woman.
We don't have to like her to **** (do) her--this from Skippy, his one-eyed wonder snake, who in Nolan's misspent youth had done a lot of his thinking for him and still felt entitled to express an opinion from time to time.

------

Since it seems to me that Uncle Otto has a mind of his own at times as well, I thought Skippy an appropriate name.

Squid

Stinkerbell

For all you lovers of Stephenie Meyer's The Host, you'll be thrilled to know it's coming to the big screen!

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/09/twilights-meyer-tackles-adult-pic-fare-with-niccol.html?ref=ssp

I enjoyed this book as much, if not more, than the Twilight Series. It's Sci-Fi, but not really. A more adult read than Twilight but the characters were wonderful and loveable and unforgettable.

disneyland lady

Quote from: Stinkerbell on September 24, 2009, 07:39:52 AM
For all you lovers of Stephenie Meyer's The Host, you'll be thrilled to know it's coming to the big screen!

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/09/twilights-meyer-tackles-adult-pic-fare-with-niccol.html?ref=ssp

I enjoyed this book as much, if not more, than the Twilight Series. It's Sci-Fi, but not really. A more adult read than Twilight but the characters were wonderful and loveable and unforgettable.
I really had a hard time getting into The Host but then it finally grabbed me. It would make a good movie although that genre (films like Species) do well anyway.

I have been reading all of the T Jefferson Parker crime stories. Got started on them because they all take place in Southern Calif and I am so familiar with the areas. But he is just a really good author as I don't usually like fiction crime stories. More of a true crime (Ann Rule) type of person.

Stinkerbell

The first part of The Host was hard for me... too descriptive, boring. I put it down and stopped reading. My daugter asked me what page I had stopped at and when I told her she said "I promise, if you read just 3 more pages, the whole story takes off." So I did, and it did.

I'm really into the military/suspense/romance genre right now.

Actually, right now I'm finishing up The Virgin River series, which takes place in Northern CA. It's pretty good. Not at intense as say, The Troubleshooters Series by Suzanne Brockmann, which I read and loved, but it's still good.

My recent authors are:

Suzanne Brockmann
Marliss Melton
Cindy Gerard
Cherry Adair
Lora Leigh
Robyn Carr

J.R. Ward has a fabulous series called The Black Dagger Brotherhood, which has become my all time favorite series... vampires... it's an incredible world she has created. And not PG-13.... definitely 18+

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview