PlayBuddy
July 13, 2024, 04:44:27 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Tri-Peaks Solitaire HD : Win 30 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Garden Blast : Use 80 disco balls or disco ball power up combos this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Book Worms

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

I hope it's ok to start a new topic that, hopefully, will be ongoing.  I love to read and would love input from others about what books they have read and liked.  Please post your favorites and least favorites here.

I just finished reading the Dean Koontz trilogy (hope he writes more of these) Odd Thomas books.  I just fell in love with Odd, the main character.
Enough humor and mystery...  not too deep and not difficult to follow.

Now, I'm thinking of reading Patterson's Women's Murder Club.  I was given book 4, but I'm wondering if I should start with book 1.  Has anyone read these?  Any input?

Homer

I prefer not to read. The pictures are better.  :pp :pp :pp

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

harley89

Reading. My favorite thing to do. I just spent 2 1/2 months clearing out books in my basement because you could not move not there. I kept the most loved volumes and donate the rest to charity. Years and years ago I read some Koontz and Anne Rice both very good writers.  But for the last several years I have read nothing but non fiction. Mostly religion.  I must correct myself I have read the Harry Potter series. Even ordered the last one months before it was ready and waited by the mailbox for the delivery on that one. One book I have been reading for about the last year( I keep having to put it down because it is a very difficult read) is the Koran. A real eye opener into the current world issues, Hope to hear some great books I should read. After the Koran I will be ready for some fun reading

swamp

:/\ me to boss  like  penhouse and playboy   camera.gif O+O O+O  bbq21.gif

Stinkerbell

Harley,
I have had to clear my shelves, too.  Did a lot of that before we moved since I didn't want to pack and move books I knew I would be donating anyway. 
I have read the Lord Of The Rings books, which were just amazing!  I never thought I could get so wrapped up in that kind of story, but I did. 
I loved Stephen Kings, The Stand.  I really tend to lean towards the books where the main characters must struggle to overcome some obstacle, and they never give up.  Odd Thomas, The Stand, and the LOTR books are exactly that genre.  Another book I really liked was The Secret Life of Bees.
I'd love to hear more about what you've read.

Homer

The last book that intrigued me was The DaVinci Code which was way better than the movie.

That book prompted me to read:

Holy Blood, Holy Grail
The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ

I still have to read:

Deception Point - Dan Brown
Digital Fortress : A Thriller - Dan Brown

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer on April 25, 2008, 03:59:09 PM
The last book that intrigued me was The DaVinci Code which was way better than the movie.

That book prompted me to read:

Holy Blood, Holy Grail
The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ

I still have to read:

Deception Point - Dan Brown
Digital Fortress : A Thriller - Dan Brown

I loved DaVinci Code, and the movie was a terrible disappointment compared to the book.  And I did the same thing you did... read Holy Blood, Holy Grail and the Templar Revelation... it was definitely a natural sequence of events.  I wanted to read the latter 2 to see how accurate Dan Brown was in his writings.  There was another book that I got, but never read... it took the DaVinci Code and went piece by piece, what was correct and what was a stretch of Dan Brown's imagination.
I also read Angels and Demons which I really liked and it piqued my interest in the early Catholic church.  My husband read Digital Fortress and Deception Point and loved those, but I never got to them.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: swamp on April 25, 2008, 04:08:44 PM
     O+O O+O :pp  :)))

Who knew men could get so worked up over a mammary gland.  Though, my 5 month old grandson feels the same way... he sees his mommy's booby and smiles!

Homer

Quote from: Stinkerbell on April 25, 2008, 04:42:24 PM
I loved DaVinci Code, and the movie was a terrible disappointment compared to the book.  And I did the same thing you did... read Holy Blood, Holy Grail and the Templar Revelation... it was definitely a natural sequence of events.  I wanted to read the latter 2 to see how accurate Dan Brown was in his writings.  There was another book that I got, but never read... it took the DaVinci Code and went piece by piece, what was correct and what was a stretch of Dan Brown's imagination.
I also read Angels and Demons which I really liked and it piqued my interest in the early Catholic church.  My husband read Digital Fortress and Deception Point and loved those, but I never got to them.

I read Angels and Demons.

There is one other book I wanted to read but never got.

The Woman with the Alabaster Jar: Mary Magdalene and the Holy Grail

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer on April 25, 2008, 04:56:24 PM
The Woman with the Alabaster Jar: Mary Magdalene and the Holy Grail

Don't recall that one, but there was so much to read I might have forgotten.

gator8_24

I haven't done much reading lately but I do like Anne Rice.  I was just shocked the first time I went to abook store to look for her books and found them under "Horror".  I didn't think they were LOL  Also like Ann Rule, Patricia Cornwell and John Grisham.  I just dug out Cornwell's "Isle of Dogs" that I haven't read yet. Maybe tonight instead of pogo (or use auto) do some reading LOL

this is my library LOL

CindyLouWho

Quote from: Stinkerbell on April 25, 2008, 01:19:32 PM
I hope it's ok to start a new topic that, hopefully, will be ongoing.  I love to read and would love input from others about what books they have read and liked.  Please post your favorites and least favorites here.

I just finished reading the Dean Koontz trilogy (hope he writes more of these) Odd Thomas books.  I just fell in love with Odd, the main character.
Enough humor and mystery...  not too deep and not difficult to follow.

Now, I'm thinking of reading Patterson's Women's Murder Club.  I was given book 4, but I'm wondering if I should start with book 1.  Has anyone read these?  Any input?

I've read all James Patterson's books & loved em all, especially the Alex Cross books.  1 of my fave authors.  You can read book 4 of the WMC but you'll understand the background of the ladies better by starting with the 1st one. 

I get his newsletter in my email, you can check out his website for a list of his books & the order of the series.  He has a new book coming out soon.

CindyLouWho

I love to read & read a lot.   right now I'm reading "Up close and dangerous"  by Linda Howard.  This is the 2nd book of hers I've read & so far I really like em, this 1 is really good so far!   O0

harley89

OMG I had forgotten about Ruke. Her books are chilling. BY THE WAY GUYS there is a bill before congress that will ban  the sale of some of your favorite picture mags on miltary bases. 

Stinkerbell

Harley, there are bills in CA being presented to that will ban everything from burning wood in your fireplace (for gloabal warming purposes) to not letting overweight people eat in restaurants.  There is waaaaay too much government involved in our lives and my opinion, for what it's worth, if the guys and gals are old enough to go to war and risk their lives for people they do not know, and will never meet, they are old enough to decide what to read.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: CindyLouWho on April 25, 2008, 11:37:33 PM
I've read all James Patterson's books & loved em all, especially the Alex Cross books.  1 of my fave authors.  You can read book 4 of the WMC but you'll understand the background of the ladies better by starting with the 1st one. 

I get his newsletter in my email, you can check out his website for a list of his books & the order of the series.  He has a new book coming out soon.

Thanks, Cindy!  Based on your post, I read book 1 and thought it was pretty good.  Quite a plot twist right there at the end.  The Monk (TV Character) in me requires that I read them in order, but my daughter accidently returned book 2 to the library when I was only 1/2 way through it.  The library is 45 minute drive from here, so I might just break down and read book 4, which I have.  Since I'm familiar enough with the premise of the "club"  I think it will be safe to skip 2 1/2 and 3.

Stinkerbell

Okay, has anyone else read the Twilight books?  My daughter got them and I started reading and can't put them down....
Never thought I'd be so attracted to a Vampire   :,

harley89

Quote from: Stinkerbell on August 10, 2008, 11:39:26 AM
Okay, has anyone else read the Twilight books?  My daughter got them and I started reading and can't put them down....
Never thought I'd be so attracted to a Vampire   :,
My daughter just gave me the first book in the Twilight series and I have not started it. My daughter and 2 granddaughters went to one of those midnight premire things at the book store for the last book.  When I finish the Tibetan Book Of The Dead I will start it

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview